4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Little Digital Audio Player, April 9, 2008
This review is from: SanDisk Sansa Fuze 8 GB Video MP3 Player (Silver) (Electronics)
What I really like about it is the size, capacity, and most of all price.

The codec support is about average, not great but it satisfies my needs as 99% of my music is encoded in mp3 format.

One of my dislikes is common among all sandisk mp3 players(and most other players) is that the charging/syncing port is proprietary. Not a big issue, mini-usb would have been nice though.

Video playback was smooth(used a mp4 350MB recorded tv show) no sync problems between the audio/video and no stuttering. Too small to really be considered for video playback though.

Picture viewing is about the same as video and by that I mean it works great and the pictures look ok but the screen is so small it is not practical to show off pics with it.

Voice recording works well, don't have to hold it directly to my face to clearly record sounds...although I'm not sure what this can be used for but it is there and works well.

The radio works great, easy station browsing, easy to add stations to presets, and reception is very clear.

The sound is very accurately produced at all ranges. The included headphones fit well and sound good. The volume goes up much higher than I could ever think I would need it. For those of you who are runners, I use the earphones that come with it and they direct the sound very well into my ears so I do not have to make it too loud and can still hear some of the environmental sounds: wind noise is hardly noticeable.

The screen is easy to see in all light conditions, bright, and easy to read.

The build quality feels great. It has generous weight to it, light enough to take running and not really notice it but heavy enough to give it a solid feel. The front of the device is a bit shiny and does tend to attract fingerprints easily but not scratches so far.

Expansion port works great, currently using a 4GB microsdhc to shuttle podcasts/audiobooks between it my pc.

Navigation is a breeze and the menus are very intuitive, the scroll wheel/buttons are easy to find and press even with the player not in sight.

Syncing I very easy to do without the need for bloated software. You can add media to it via a file explorer(drag & drop) or one of several media players like WMP, winamp, and a variety of others. The datbase is auto-updating and works flawlessly. I have seen a few reviews that say the database refresh takes a while. With a completely full internal memory and half full 4gb card my refreshes only take 15-30 seconds.

A few final notes. The boot-up is about 3-5 seconds from off to playing music after pressing the power button. It will resume the music exactly where you left it when turning it off. Actual usable memory is about 7.8 GB. 4 1/2 out of 5 stars, best on the market right now but not perfect of course.

UPDATE: 2 new "cons" I have come across. Technically the device is performing as intended but I am hoping for a firmware update to "resolve" these.

1. When scrolling, the speed of scrolling does not increase. Basically takes forever if the song you want is in the second half of the alphabet. This will probably be changed in the next firmware update though.

2. The podcasts are sorted by most recent first. This kind of makes since so you dont have to scroll to the bottom to listen to the newest one but it also causes a problem if you are trying to listen to a series in order and it starts playing through them backwards. :( Probably no "fix" for this issue although being able to choose how it is sorted would be great.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 24, 2008 1:59:19 AM PDT
I have a question, if you don't mind.

When scrolling through the menus (especially playlists), does the player lag at all? My current Sansa e280 lags terribly when I'm scrolling through playlists, although it doesn't when I'm just browsing through songs/artists.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2008 4:03:21 PM PDT
I have not noticed any lag at all. I don't have any really large playlists yet but it moves as fast as I can click the button pretty much.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2008 8:31:25 PM PDT
Ok thanks. I have an e280 and browsing playlists causes the player to lag significantly.

Posted on May 16, 2008 6:04:32 PM PDT
e200 was notorious for its lagging but several fuze reviews commented that fuze has no lag at all

Posted on Jun 18, 2008 11:33:01 PM PDT
is it possible to drag and drop the music file instead of using the included software?

Posted on Jul 13, 2008 10:52:18 PM PDT
I wouldn't say ALL Sansa players have proprietary connectors. I have a Clip and regularly use the mini USB from my GPS to charge it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2008 9:05:17 AM PDT
A. Alegria says:
to Ton Nu Thy Trinh:

yes, you can drag and drop music in this player

Posted on Jul 22, 2008 5:33:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 22, 2008 7:49:45 PM PDT
Phillip,

I have two usability questions that affect audio book usage, i.e. long tracks. 1) Does the Fuze use bookmarks to pick-up where you've left off after changing modes; FM radio then back to an Overdrive or MP3 track? 2) Does the fast-forward speed increase the longer you hold down the button? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2008 3:11:01 PM PDT
1) Yes, it does have a bookmark when you switch between the audio book and other sources or just turn it off.

2) I'll look into this tonight, never really tested how is fast forwards.

Posted on Oct 21, 2008 8:38:41 AM PDT
J. Tolle says:
Excellent review Phillip, thank you!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (451 customer reviews)

Out of stock