5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful read - and even better ice cream!, June 17, 2011
This review is from: Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home (Hardcover)
I've had my Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home cookbook for almost a week, and after several ice cream experiments, I thought I should post a review.

First, let's talk about the book, and then we'll talk about the finished products.

The book is such a great read - easy to understand, yet complex enough to give my inner nerd all the details I need. I'm the type of home-cook who likes to know the science behind the recipes so that I can branch out and be as creative with the flavors as I want. And Jeni doesn't miss the mark here! She teaches the "why?" behind every technique, but she says it as if she were your next-door neighbor - not the insanely smart food scientist she's become.

Next, the stories. Oh, the heart-felt personal stories about her business! Jeni gives refreshingly honest recollections of how her business began, why she uses certain products, and how she chose many of her suppliers. If these stories don't warm you up, then your heart must be even colder than the ice cream.

And then there's the photos in the book. These are not only beautiful, but also super-helpful! I know I wouldn't have been as successful in my ice cream-making ventures if I hadn't seen the photos to help me along the way.

So, I loved the book, but I loved the ice cream even more. Seriously, this is some amazing stuff. I can only recall eating homemade ice cream right after it was made; nobody ever dared try to actually put it in the freezer and eat it later! But Jeni's recipes are instead intended to be frozen solid and scooped! After a few hours in the freezer, the ice cream scoops perfectly, is firm, and has the creamiest texture you've never before had from a home ice cream maker. The finished ice cream actually tastes like and has the same texture as the Jeni's ice cream I buy down the street at one of her Scoop Shops.

Get this book today!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 24, 2011 7:07:14 AM PDT
Gratitude says:
Can those electric ice cream makers be used to make her recipes?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2011 6:10:43 AM PDT
Yep! Jeni recommends a certain Cuisinart mixer that I got from Williams Sonoma for about $40. =)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2011 12:44:55 PM PDT
Jeni's is a destination for me every time I am in Columbus, OH (not often enough) and I can't wait to get this book! Yes, I have the Cuisinart that makes 1-1/2 qt. and cost me $49.95, actually, in Crate and Barrel. I think it's the same price in Williams Sonoma but check Amazon, too. It's great.

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 5:59:41 AM PDT
Mary says:
Bryant - Thank you for the great review of this book -- "The book is such a great read - easy to understand, yet complex enough to give my inner nerd all the details I need. I'm the type of home-cook who likes to know the science behind the recipes so that I can branch out and be as creative with the flavors as I want.." That was enough to sell me! I love home made anything, but I have had trouble with some of the ice creams that I have made with my Cuisinart ice cream maker.. something was always missing. Looking forward to getting it this Friday after I get home from work. Let the fun begin!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (388 customer reviews)

$23.95 $13.89