Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her  Fine Art Deals Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Shop Now DOTD

1,355 of 1,365 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars The Practical Review, February 3, 2009
This review is from: Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod Legs (Black) (Camera)
Isn't it both amazing and quite frustrating that we as consumers must weed through what seems like hundreds of reviews just to gather enough information about a single product that ONE review should be able to produce? After literally reading hundreds of reviews for a camera body, lenses, tripods, etc, I feel like the work and time should go towards saving someone else from the toil of doing the same.

First of all, if you're like me, you're out looking for the tripod recommended by Scott Kelby's great, simple book, The Digital Photography Book. He recommends the Bogen 3001BD as the most affordable tripod which is still of good build quality. This recently has become the Bogen Manfrotto 190XPROB which is very, very similar to the 055XPROB. The differences are as follows:

055XPROB - can support 15.4 pounds
190XPROB - supports 11 pounds

055XPROB - leg diameters 29.4, 25, 20 mm
109XPROB - leg diameters 25, 20, 16 mm

055XPROB - min/max. height 3.9"/70.3"
190XPROB - min/max. height 3.3"/57.5"

055XPROB - weighs 5 pounds
190XPROB - weighs 4 pounds

Otherwise, they are the same basic tripod. Both are made out of patented aluminum and have the same features such as Bogen's fold-down center column which allows you to get great macro shots as close as a few inches from the ground and they both have the newer flip type leg locks which are a little stiff when new but hold the legs nice and tightly.

In summary, if you're looking for the best, cheapest tripod for your point and shoot or entry level digital SLR, I'd recommend the 190XPROB for the few dollars in savings, the pound you save in weight, and all of the professional quality and features of a Bogen tripod. If you are like me and are using that entry level DSLR and are looking to upgrade in the future with a larger camera body, larger lenses, flashes, etc, I'd recommend the 055XPROB for it's larger size (I'm 6'1"), heavier construction and higher load capacity. All in all, they are both excellent tripods that are nearly identical. If you ask me, I'd go with the 055XPROB regardless; is the fifteen dollars and the pound in difference really worth gaining, in sacrifice of a sturdier tripod? I don't think so. I hope this helped.

I purchased this product from Amazon on Jan 13th. The shipping was amazingly fast and the price was the best I could find on the internet, hands down. The one I ordered actually shipped from one town away so it arrived next day! It was a perfect transaction.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 18, 2009 2:53:44 PM PDT
Thanks for sharing your research. David. It's very helpful!

Posted on Jun 16, 2009 12:40:50 PM PDT
Pigpen says:
Logical, concise, and all the info I needed. From now on I'd rather buy from YOU than from Amazon! ;) I took the time to thank you because you took the time to help me.

Posted on Jun 20, 2009 1:06:57 AM PDT
C. Mitchell says:
Thanks for the clarity and advice. Please write more reviews of this useful sort.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2009 1:07:42 PM PDT
David Darick says:
Wow! I'm glad you all liked the review; you made my day. Little successes are what it's all about, you know?

Posted on Jul 6, 2009 1:59:46 AM PDT
I was juuuust about the pull the trigger on the 190, looked at the 55 and couldn't tell the difference. Where would we be without reviews? Thanks David!

Posted on Jul 12, 2009 1:55:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2009 2:03:36 PM PDT
Quixotic Guy says:
Very useful review, thanks. One question, though. Which ball-head would you recommend? Scott Kelby recommends 486RC2. I have borrowed a pistol-grip Slik AF2100 ballhead with Slick Pro 500DX legs from my local Photographic Society, and its very likeable to use (its my first time using a ball-head; my current tripod is an el-cheapo from Walmart). A good tripod and ball-head is a revelation for me, but I would like some recommendations. I use an XSi, plus lenses (some heavy), flash and go vertical for portraits often (this one is important to me). Thanks for any recommendations.

Posted on Jul 18, 2009 11:40:40 AM PDT
Burg says:
The 055XPROB is the one for me since I am 6'-2. Thanks for your helpfull review

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2009 5:34:43 PM PDT
I couldn't agree more.

Posted on Oct 5, 2009 5:36:04 PM PDT
David, Thank you very much for your review. You did an excellent job, and, it's extremely helpful.

Posted on Nov 8, 2009 12:51:33 AM PST
The Manfrotto 055XPROB's max height you have listed as 70.3 inches....the minimum height you have listed as 3.9 inches.........It can't collapse that small can it?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›