4.0 out of 5 stars Simple But Powerful, August 3, 2011
This review is from: Pick Four (4 Pack - Designed to Share) (Spiral-bound)
"Pick Four" by Seth Godin is a very simple but very powerful 12-week goal program. Basically, Seth Godin has taken Zig Ziglar's Goals Program and updated and simplified it. Both the great strength and the great weakness of the book is its simplicity.

The simplicity of the book is one of its greatest strengths because unlike other books that deal with setting goals and the change process, this book contains a bare minimum of theory. In essence, the research on change and setting effective goals shows that 3 things are necessary:

1. Small steps
2. Consistent effort
3. Group support

The simplicity of the book makes the concepts easy to find, understand, and implement. I've tried plans for setting goals and changing by Stephen Covey and others but for some reason have not kept up with them consistently. I'm hoping that because the plan is so simple that I'll stick with this plan for the rest of my life.

The plan takes the reader through the process of selecting meaningful and important goals and narrowing them down to the most important 4. Then, for each goal, a 2-page analysis of benefits, obstacles, and the plan for the goal are listed. Most of the book actually consists simply of a daily log for 12 weeks in which the reader tracks how well he's doing on his goals.

The simplicity of the book is also its weakness. Although it's possible to get weighed down by too much theory, I would have liked to see more explanation of the philosophy of setting goals and change. Also, it would have been helpful if there were more information about how to adapt the goals if they're not working out for some reason. Some people, too, might need more help in formulating the goals or in getting motivated. The book only contains a brief introduction and only spends a little time on preparing the goals: most of the book is the daily goal analysis pages.

Another weakness of Pick Four is that it comes in a 4-pack. What if I only want 1 copy of the book and can make or use my own daily planner? Seth should sell the book in single copies as well.

Overall, I look forward to using this simple plan, sticking to it, and seeing the fruits of my labor in my life and the lives of others.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 5, 2011 1:19:29 AM PDT
As always, brother Charles, your review is helpful. I find changing my bad habits and establishing good ones to be all but impossible (of course, with the grace of God all things are possible, but I mean apart from supernatural, miraculous intervention!). Who will deliver me from my OCD and perfectionism (cf. Rom. 7:24)?!? I HOPE I can apply the principles of this book to my life . . . some day, maybe TOMORROW!

--Brother Danny (Erlo)

P.S.: I hear your book "Give Us This Day" is coming out soon--I look forward to buying and reading this set of devotionals on Matthew's gospel. If it's anything like your reviews, then it should be one great read indeed!

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 2:12:04 PM PST
H.S. says:
6 months later, do you have an update for us on how the book (and you) have fared?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 3:14:18 PM PST
Great question. The book still seems like a solid approach to me. The problem, which no book can help very much with, is in my failure to fully execute. I worked through the book partially, and then life got busy, and I haven't kept up with it. The good news is that the approach is simple enough that I can try to get back on track and start up again, picking up where I left off. I still have my notes and answers from before.

Thanks for the reminder, which we all need!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (37 customer reviews)

$39.99 $23.99