Automotive Holiday Deals GG Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

3.0 out of 5 stars Good knife, slow and poor customer service...lifetime guarantee if you are willing to wait months,., September 24, 2009
This review is from: J.A. HENCKELS INTERNATIONAL Classic 8-inch Chef's Knife (Kitchen)
An update 12/27/09....The week before Christmas I received a replacement knife. After Henkle examining the knife, it was determined to be a manufacturing issue. Excess pressure on rivet caused a fisure crack allowing moisture to slowly migrate into handle ultimatly causing failure. I am glad to have the knife, however it did cost me $40 bucks to buy a replacement to use while I waited for the determination.

Original post.......I purchased this knife in March of 2005. I have taken exceptional care of this knife. It's always been hand washed, professionally shapened and cared for. It's a $50 knife afterall...not cheap.
The handle literally fell off of each side of the knife while slicing vegetables. I wasn't injured but could have been. The interior steel had rusted and corroded screws that held the handle together. I thought it was riveted. It wasn't properly done..
I contacted J.A. Henckels, via email, sending a copy of Amazon's invoice, detailed photos and copy of product description. First I got an Out-of-Office response directing me to email a different address. Both times, I requested a replacement, or a pre paid label so that I might return the knife.
They responded with a computer generated pre-formed email: "Thank you for your recent e-mail inquiry concerning Zwilling J.A. Henckels products. You will be pleased to know that all of our products are fully guaranteed against manufacturer's defects in materials and / or craftsmanship. The warranty does not cover wear from normal use, bends, nicks, dents, chips, or any damage resulting from use other than the intended purpose of the item. Wood products, including wood handled knives, are not covered by the Zwilling JA Henckels warranty, as wood is a natural element and thus cannot be guaranteed. We will evaluate your product and should it be under warranty, we will gladly replace the product at no charge. We cannot guarantee that the same line or size will be available therefore it will be replaced under our discretion, with a comparable item or an upgrade." ....verbatum of the warranty statement on their website.
It would be nice to actually work with a real person about this issue instead of a computer generated response. I don't think I was asking too much for contact from a person and a pre-paid label sent to me, as I have to package, go to post office and wait in line, mail, and then wait another 4-6 weeks for them to decide my fate with this knife.

If you want this knife, buy local so that you can work with an actual person to resolve your problems otherwise, be prepared to wait should it have a manufacturer defect.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 27, 2009 5:11:58 PM PST
I suspect that the knife was subjected to either prolonged soaking in water or a dishwasher.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2009 9:33:47 PM PST
David....It was neither. During manufacturing and rivet placement was too hard and it cause a fisure type crack adjacent to the rivet. I am going to update my review as after I sent them the knife and they had two months to review, they agreeded it was a manufacturing error and sent me a replacement. . Never ever has one of any of my knives gone in a dishwasher or a prolonged soak. I take care of all my tools.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2010 2:42:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Feb 3, 2015 1:50:23 PM PST
By His Grace says:
No, that is not true... I have the same knife and the same thing just happened to me! I hand wash my knives and let them air dry. My knives are treated with TLC and one day cutting an onion, the handle fell apart in my hand. So David, your suspicion is wrong.
***** this just happened to my reacement knife. I love the knife but it doesn't last long before you have to replace it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2011 11:56:07 AM PDT
Same thing happened to my knife. I hand wash everything since I do not own a dishwasher.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 9:15:52 PM PDT
I have 4 of these great knives. I do abuse mine although I love them. They go in the dishwasher if I am doing a load. 5 years later perfect and still razor sharp. Even use the wrong side of the scrubbie 3m pad and they still shine and cut perfect.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 12:08:56 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 21, 2013 12:03:12 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 12:11:08 PM PST
Same problem with my knife. I hand wash everything then dry and place in a knife rack. I love the Spanish Steel yet the handle is cracked and a Bio-Hazard. I just tried a Super Glue repair with Vice Grips on the broken handle part.

Posted on Apr 18, 2013 5:35:07 AM PDT
OattieO says:
Never seen so much rust on a knife from that pic, just ridiculous and subjected to repeated moisture.

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 1:39:35 PM PDT
Y. Zhang says:
Same thing happened to my knife after 2 weeks use. I actually bought it from a local store Ross but Ross won't accept the return. Contact the Zwilling and received same response. Would not buy another Zwilling again!

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 12:02:18 PM PST
I bought one of these knives around 2005, my handle cracked at the rivet after about 3 years of use and eventually broke. I like to buy quality products and then take care of them. My knife was never abused or put in a dishwasher, it was always hand washed and dried after each use. See my two star review for a picture and full story.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›