2.0 out of 5 stars mixed feelings, April 19, 2005
This review is from: Sacred Contracts: Awakening Your Divine Potential (Hardcover)
Well, straight out I will admit that I am only half-way through this book, but already, I feel really bogged down, and slightly confused.

Ms. Myss seems to take a rather overly authoritative tone in this book, as she mixes Jungian psychology, Eastern religions and divination, all in an attempt to convince her readers that through her guidance they can come to know the destinies chosen for them before their birth, their "Sacred Contracts".

I feel that the author tends to over simplify the concepts of destiny, and pre-destination, as well as the nature of evil, and does so through a rather verbose, and strangely vague text. I think that my eyes were really opened when I visited Ms. Myss' website and read the answers she had given to questions by her readers. Her arrogant attitude and insistance that her way is the only way, left a sour taste in my mouth, I must say. Many asked questions such as, "I can't narrow my personality down to only 8 archtypes, no matter how hard I try," and, "You insist that there are four archtypes that everyone has, no matter what. I don't feel that I have all of these." These questions were met with the insistance that there were only 8 archtypes, and that everyone has the four, no matter what. Ms. Myss makes her "theory" sound like it is academically proven fact, which it is absolutely not. I'm not sure that even Jung would agree to the way that his concepts of the archtype have been used in this book.

In summary, I am not sure that I will finish reading the book. I want to, just to see if there is something that I am missing closer to the end, but from many of the reviews that I have read here, I'm not so sure it's worth it. I suggest taking the book out from the library before you purchase it. Some may like the authoritative tone, and complex theories of the book. I did not.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2008 12:42:15 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 25, 2008 12:45:14 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 25, 2008 12:43:09 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 25, 2008 12:43:50 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 25, 2008 12:44:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2008 12:45:59 PM PST
Thank you, Samantha, for such an honest opinion. Like you, I am tired of authors, and other "authorities" telling me who I am, and what I should do with my life (usually to follow their directions, and buy whatever it is they are selling!)
Ms Myss's book is a load of gibberish as far as I'm concerned. We read it in our Metaphysical Book Club a couple years ago, and I got totally turned off by her sanctimonious tone, and overly assertive attitude. I couldn't finish the book. There are so many other great books out there that really offer a deep dive into oneself (Thomas Moore, "Care of the Soul" is one).
Don't waste your time on this book. Read a book that is grounded, and actually makes sense!
Maureen Spagnolo

Posted on Jul 17, 2009 12:18:27 PM PDT
kooky Kid says:
I have read bits of this book but have read c myss from the beginning, found her fascinating , sincere , always compelling. However, I agree with these readers. I had the fortune of being in a 2 day seminar with this self appointed authority and the humility that was her hallmark had all but gone the way of Pony express. She's about as humble as Katherine Hepburn in her heydey and equally dramatic and self absorbed. I watched her critisize and humiliate several audience members and I just ended up thinking she turned into an egotistical elitist . As well, its her way or the highway and this stuff is jungian gobledegook , only important if you deem it to be so, neither fact nor fiction. She mesmerises, but she's way way better than us- she'd make great politician. She is talented though (Btw I have seen and worked with many many new age authors , some famous and others not so, but all masterful nonetheless.)

Posted on Mar 11, 2011 10:24:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2011 10:27:13 PM PST
Paula Kirsch says:
I am right there with you, Samantha! I've had this book in my library (it was a gift) for over a year and decided to take it on for a book report for an anthropology class. I am feeling mired in quicksand at this point. The archtypes are not resonating with me and Myss is rambling all over the place with theories from Jung to her own personal "take" on the Wizard of Oz! There are some nice gems in her ramblings, but I don't find it cohesive or grounded. I can't believe I'm doing a report on this... I too, am about halfway through... I hope it gets better!

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 4:16:56 AM PST
Manthano says:
well, I haven't read it, but this review and comments show me the value of looking at the most critical comments. Here is my take: We are God-stuff, the mystery of our hearts, the unfathomable empty space of our awareness, is all un-systematizeable. The feeling of what is, what we are, is more like an ocean of love, or beneficent feeling-stuff, than any machination of the mind-stuff. You just have to note the rigidity of mind-attachment, as Padmasambhava the Tibetan said. Some holy people are direct and strong in their teachings, but always counseling toward the great divine unknowing.
And that's the rub: prayer, contemplation or any other spiritual practice may lead towards a certainty of the experience of God in oneself, but it requires directing one's attention toward an aspect of the personality that is wholely different from the machinations of the mind. The Hindu system of yoga opines: Jnana Yoga, or reaching the God-state through the mind, is the most difficult and problematical path. Bhakti Yoga (God-union) is by far the easiest, the god-union method of the heart and devotion.
The opening lines of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras is, in Sanskrit, "Yogaham chitta vritti narodaham." I translate as, "Reaching communion with God is a matter of quieting the illusionary mind-stuff." The mind (chitta) loves to throw up a vast illusion of even God so that the thinker seems to have an experience which she thinks is real, but it lacks the certainty of a true immersion in the bliss of existence. So ordinary egotistical thought is not prized by spiritual adepts. Heart-felt prayer and devotion to a greater teacher or power of some kind is an effective way. The image of a clay pot being broken and merging into an ocean of bliss is a common image in India. Teachers often focus on the experiential reality of their state of mind, and often it is the result of years of seeking and training.
And always, there is the accompanying illusionary mind, cajoling us like a cheap carnival barker into some experience which resembles the goal, but is not.
I think it is interesting, if you like spiritual psychology, to understand these mechanisms. I know why the mind does this, it's origins and purpose.
But I have been tiresome and rambling, and maybe earned a few points of disapproval.

Posted on May 8, 2012 8:51:28 AM PDT
Maia Lamont says:
I was considering reading this as I want to know more about this subject. I have her Self Esteem teachings on cd and was horrified and turned off by her tone and apparent disdain and disrespect for us mere mortals. One would be hard pressed to develop any self esteem by listening to her.
sun and sky

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 10:17:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2014 10:18:49 PM PDT
Kelli says:
Sacred contracts can be cancelled. This can be requested through prayer.

Archetypes exist on the astral plane of consciousness. To survive they need human consciousness to buy into them. They are subconscious scripts. They do not have to rule your destiny and relationships.

If you don't want to be bound to some nebulous contract you think you may or may not have have made before you incarnated, don't buy into the archetypes. If however you believe that working with an archetype would be helpful then go for it.

The point is you are a free creative divine spiritual being.

Don't let anyone convince you that without sacred contracts you would not know how to live your life because you can't handle your own psyche. Beware of the spirit of control.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (228 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01