5.0 out of 5 stars Worship This!, September 13, 2011
This review is from: Worship Music (MP3 Music)
OK, history lesson first. Since the band's last studio album (2003's underrated We've Come for You All) Anthrax had dropped longtime vocalist John Bush to reunite with previous singer (and fan favorite) Joey Belladonna for some touring. When it came time to record an album, Belladonna split, to be replaced by Dan Nelson, a relative unknown. They wrote an album - Worship Music - with Nelson on vocals but then Nelson quit/was fired/who knows and the album was shelved until yet another reunion with Belladonna, resulting in a reworked Worship Music, the band's tenth studio album.

Now that that's out of the way, I have to say I am a John Bush fan. In my opinion the albums he sang on were Anthrax's best albums by far. I never got Belladonna's appeal and frankly I came into this album expecting to hate it.

But it rules...so...much!

Worship Music is just an incredible slab of heavy metal, and there's no way to deny that. This band has always written very solid albums, and they've always had a unique energy, no matter who was in the band at the time. This time around, it seems like we're getting the best of everything the band has to offer. There's a nod to their old school thrash metal roots in the blistering "Fight `Em Till You Can't" and "The Devil You Know," and songs like "I'm Alive" and "The Constant" have the heavy, melodic, modern vibe of the later Anthrax albums. Actually, a good number of these songs sound like they were written with John Bush in mind, and while I'd have loved to hear him sing them, I have to admit Belladonna does a fantastic job. He's particularly good on the killer "Judas Priest," which is probably the album's best song.

If you are, or ever were, an Anthrax fan, Worship Music really is a must-have album. Fans of the Belladonna era albums are going to love it the most, but this album is also going to be a very pleasant surprise to skeptics who would rather have heard John Bush on vocals again (which is where I fall). In the end, the sheer power and energy of Worship Music is overwhelming. It crushes anything the rest of the so-called "Big Four" have released in the last twenty years, and is the strongest Anthrax album since, well, the last one. It immediately carves out a spot at or near the top of any "best of 2011" lists.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 13, 2011 9:53:57 AM PDT
Deathgame says:
thanks for the review im gonna buy it now! last time i saw them it was in the BIG 4 concert.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 3:30:11 PM PDT
J. Walsh says:
Great review. I'm a long time fan (since 1985) and I too thought the John Bush years were the best, but this album is incredible and Joey sounds really good on it. It's like a modern, old school Anthrax album if that makes any sense!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011 7:46:46 PM PDT
Justin G. says:
Makes sense to me!

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 11:16:41 AM PDT
Great review, But I still don't really like this album and I've tried to like it, there are great moments but even Belladonna was upset that he had to re-record vocals, he wanted to start from scratch to have some influence on his vocal stylings and lyrics. (I'm more of a John Bush fan era Anthrax also)

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 8:07:45 PM PDT
mxr5150 says:
Nice review. And I agree, it feels like this album is a culmination of everything Anthrax has been about for all their years. It was worth the wait! This earns my Metal Album of the Year!

And while I'm at it, I always felt that comparing Joey Beladonna to John Bush like comparing David Lee Roth to Sammy Hagar, where usually people gravitate to one side or the other. I love both eras of Anthrax personally. It seemed that 'We've Come for you all' was the John Bush come-back album, this must be yet another come-back with a vengeance. I don't think there is a single weak track on it. I love it from start to finish.

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 10:45:49 PM PDT
Scaryguy1991 says:
I didn't know there were so many John Bush fans! I love Belladonna era Anthrax; him being on here was the only reason I even thought about checking this album out.

Great review too!

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 3:52:58 AM PDT
i thought for years that i was the only person to think Bush's albums were superior to Belladonna's, i'm so happy to hear i'm not alone.

i haven't heard this yet, i'm downloading it i write. "Stomp 442" is my favorite Anthrax album. i don't expect this to be similar but i have high hopes that it'll be as good.

great review, by the way.

Posted on Sep 18, 2011 11:08:57 PM PDT
Arseface says:
Nice review. I heard one of the songs on the radio (believe it or not) and thought it was pretty good. I also LOVED We've Come For You All and Stomp 442 to a lesser extent, but thought the new one I heard was pretty dang good too. I'll have to get my dad this album. :P

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 5:35:58 PM PDT
Justin G. says:
I think it's funny we have a John Bush fan club forming on a review for the album he's not on!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2011 6:43:37 PM PDT
Hearing all this praise for John, I had to jump in and give my opinion. As a fan of Armored Saint from the early days ('83) when they only had an EP and a few songs on some compilation albums, I can say that there is no better metal singer, listen to the song "Reign of Fire" if you need any further convincing! I was very excited when John joined Anthrax, he brought new life to the band and they released some GREAT material. That being said, Ive been a fan of Anthrax just as long, BEFORE Joey was even in the band. His first few efforts with the band; Spreading the Disease and Among the Living were landmark metal albums that still hold up today. I'm excited to hear this latest CD to see how they combine the classic Anthrax feel with where they are musically in 2011.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (245 customer reviews)

$6.99
Add to wishlist
Reviewer

Justin G.
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Location: Northern Virginia