4.0 out of 5 stars New to Rockband, December 22, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wii Rock Band 2 Special Edition (Video Game)
Rhythm type games never interested me much, until now. I played guitar hero way back and was left unimpressed so I never thought much of checking the progress in this genre. For Christmas, I received Rock Band 2 for the Wii as a gift and immediately loved it.

Overall, all the instruments are easy to play and are fun. The freestyle, training, and solo mode allow to progress at your own pace. (Currently, I'm terrible but am improving). Challenge and band tour mode prove more difficult as your progress.

As mentioned previously, I don't have experience with RB1, GH, or GHWT so I cannot compare but I'm totally thrilled at how much fun my entire family is having playing this TOGETHER.

The only possible downsides I can see are:
1) At the time of this review, the Rock Band store for the wii is not up yet - so I cannot download the free songs or buy any new ones. According to Harmonix, it will be up soon.
2) The memory on the Wii is limited so downloading a lot of songs can be a problem so buy an SD card if you plan to purchase new songs. I wish I knew how much each song and it's data took up on my SD card. I can't test yet since the wii RB store isn't open yet.
3) It's pretty costly, but at least the quality of the instruments feels good.

I highly recommend Rock Band 2, it's a blast.

Edit after playing for 2 weeks:
I'm still playing every day and loving it.

For those interested about the instruments and playing:
Drums - To me, the drum set looks a little kid-like but it's durable and I haven't had any problems. The included drum & fill trainers help you get the beats down so you can move to the harder levels. I love that you can move the bpm up and down to further test yourself. I find the drums are the hardest of the 3 to play as you need to learn limb independence, but they are also the most fun IMHO. In my family "band", I'm the drummer 90% of the time.

Guitar/Bass - Nice looking guitar. Plays great. Easiest of the 3 to learn. Look into learning different strum techniques and moving your hand up and down the neck of the guitar on harder difficulty levels.

Vocals - Well, I'm not a singer but after spending a couple days learning how to match my pitch/tone with the indicator, I can generally do OK. I think I've become a slightly better singer too, because I'm better able to slowly shift between the tones.

[Add comment]