2.0 out of 5 stars didn't like it. glad I saw it., April 13, 2012
This review is from: The Hunger Games (DVD)
Loved the books. I read the first one right before the first movie came out. I know it sounds nuts, but I am very glad I went to see the movie, wouldn't have missed it. Yet at the same time I was so disappointed in it. I felt cheated. I think the director and producers knew they were going to have this huge hit and make mega millions and yet chose to make the movie as cheaply as possible. It seemed like a corporate decision to squeeze the last few cents of profit out of the franchise at the expense of the product.
I didn't like the shaky camera. I didn't like the grainy film. I didn't like the almost constant close ups, as if this film/world had no scope or sweep. I hated the costumes which were so impressive in the book and so wrong in the movie. What was up with that bad prom dress in Katniss's last interview before returning to district 12. The dress was supposed to make her look like an innocent young girl. Instead she looked like an oompa loompa, with bad posture in a ballet tutu. I hated the color balance of the picture. It looked like a comic book with limited choice of colors. All these choices seemed to be wrong and not justified by idea of the book which was that the hunger games were these billion dollar spectaculars. No expense was spared and the Capital had the capability of making almost anything happen. At the same time Cinna, Katniss's stylist was a genius, but the costumes and hair styles he supposedly created and/or approved were so lame. He was, with the help of a crew, supposed to be able to manipulate and inspire a whole nation. Yet the way Katniss was dressed and coiffed during the movie (and shot, BTW) did nothing to make her attractive.
The last thing I will say is that I think the movie was somewhat miscast. It is a problem that could be overcome with the right director. But they need a new director.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 13, 2012 10:39:57 AM PDT
B-Goody says:
I gave it 3 stars, but agree with you on almost every point.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 9:45:21 AM PDT
M. Daneker says:
I saw it on digital projector, no grain. As for budget this film was over $80mil to make, not cheap at all considering how little special effects are in it. I think Gary Ross was a horrible choice, he completely missed the intensity and fear.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 11:07:32 PM PDT
M. Maffei says:
The next movie will have a new director, the guy who directed i am legend. I think.

Posted on May 16, 2012 8:03:33 AM PDT
Green007 says:
I agree with you. I kept feeling like I was watching an old Soviet-era movie which might have been what the director was going for, but ugh. The books are so awesome, but this movie is just trash.

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 3:48:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2012 3:49:32 PM PDT
Sugarjet says:
I love the book but I too was disappointed in the Movie. I thought it could have been so much better. It is like they knew they had a HIT! everyone loves the books so they could create a so so low budget film. The casting of Katniss was good but most of the others were miss casted for me. Too bad the same people that produced the Harry potter movies didn't also do this one. I read the books and also enjoyed the movies.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 4:20:51 AM PDT
David Miller says:
It's how it always is when you go from Book to Movie or vice-versa. The original media you read or watch it on will typically always be your favorite. That said, you really have to look at what the Director had to deal with and what the next one will have to figure out as he goes into making 'Catching Fire'. Sadly, this was marketed as a kid friendly movie, which it clearly isn't. The book is quite dark, it has a sort of constant desperation and the ever present 'need to murder' by District 1 and 2 and the feeling of 'senseless death' as people start to become aware of what The Hunger Games really are...

But if you're worried about how many kids will see it, even when it had PG-13 stamped on it and had an intro that basically said, 'Look, ya see this movie's pretty damn violent and has the killing of children, ya probably shouldn't watch this if you're not ok with that.', which was in a more tasteful and stylized 'Treaty of Treason', you'll have this moral obligation to hold some punches when it comes to the visual adaptation... Even my store had an ever so friendly advertisement running, saying it was a 'movie for the whole family' which has since been pulled. So from that perspective, holding back, in terms of violence and anguish, maybe was a good thing. I sorta hope a truer version is made 10 years from now as a reboot though, but for right now, seeing 9 year olds pick up the books to read, kinda leaves me worried that this'll end up as a 'ban this book' type campaign by the end of the movies.

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 12:54:40 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 1:25:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2012 1:37:24 PM PDT

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 7:42:10 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 21, 2012 7:53:55 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 7:34:40 AM PDT
A. Sachdev says:
I completely agree with your assessment of the movie. I applaud you for having sat through the entire movie. The beginning of the movie was so scattered that it had me spinning, the producers and actors just jumped into the story without any context. Having also read the books before the movie came out, I felt angry that so much of the key aspects of the book were changed and changed so shamlessly. The mocking jay pin is a key symbol of the series and was presented as a piece of scrap that Katniss got just by asking for it! WTF!!! The "hob" where the main character goes to trade, is shown as a large hut made of hay and wood. In the book this is an abandoned old mill! Within the first 20-25 minutes of the movie which I could suffer through, the acting was so appauling and dry that I realized the actors were completely detached of the characters they were trying to portray.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (10,666 customer reviews)
 (5,744)