14 of 19 people found the following review helpful
A mixed bag,
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Resident Evil 6 Limited Edition Strategy Guide (Hardcover)
I'm going to preface this by saying I'm an unabased fan of all things Resident Evil. I bought this guide as more of a collector's item than for actual use. The book is broken up by character with a section for Mercs, weapons, enemies, and trophies/cheevos. All pretty standard stuff.
1. The pictures in the book are much brighter than in the actual game with maps pictured next to each area.
2. The patches are very nice and detailed though I would have liked a S.T.A.R.S. and Umbella one also.
1. This was listed as having a foil embossed cover when I preordered, but it is not. The bullet point in the description for this is now absent (surprise suprise)
2. I haven't played the game yet, but there are only 3 merc maps in this guide. There are 3 different pre-order bonus maps, and NONE of them are in this despite obviously being done at the time of writing. I'm going to be so disappointed if there really are only 3 maps shipping with this.
3. The pages have a weird waviness to them like they've been wet. Its humid where I live so this may just be a problem with my guide.
There isn't much more to say right now as I haven't played the game. I don't want to read the walkthrough til after my first playthrough so I'll update once finished. I'm giving this 3.5 stars.
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 1, 2012 9:58:58 PM PDT
Waviness too on the top and bottom and it's cool and mostly dry here in Southern Ohio.
Posted on Oct 2, 2012 2:14:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2012 2:15:29 PM PDT
S. Miranda says:
yeah, i was disappointed about the lack of the foil cover too.
Posted on Oct 30, 2012 1:46:17 AM PDT
The bonus preorder maps were NOT complete at the time of writing.
It takes a good three to six months to write data to game discs on a release of this size, which means that any additional downloadable content that is released on day 1 is usually designed, coded and polished during that time. The press, both those for magazines and for strategy guides, are only given the retail disc to base their guide on; this also means that any update patches ready on day 1 could affect the reliability of the guides/articles written about the game, but that's rare.
Had the preorder bonus maps been locked on-disc content then you might have an argument, but they were not.
Posted on Nov 2, 2012 9:28:38 AM PDT
No, games normally go gold much closer to release than 3-6 months. Resident Evil 6 went gold on Aug.22 and was released on Oct. 2. Copies were in fact leaked even earlier than that. There was already a place for the additional maps under the mercenary menu. Capcom had previously stated they were stopping the on disc DLC after Dragon's Dogma came out. I think they were removed prior to release so they wouldn't suffer backlash.
At the end of the day neither one of us knows for sure because neither of us works for Capcom. I'm sure some of the assets used in the other maps were on disc at the very least. At roughly 20mb a map there is no way its an unlock key and there is no way they are complete downloads. I believe they were done and you don't. I personally think this was Capcom trying to save itself from further ridicule.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›