5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera! Love the Wireless!, April 25, 2013
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SX280 12MP Digital Camera with 20x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 3-Inch LCD (Red) (Electronics)
I've had a number of PowerShot cameras. Really impressed with the picture quality of the camera and the overall speed. Colors and picture quality are quite good and the low-light performance is superior. The previous review focuses nicely on the picture quality, so I wil stick with the human factors.

Manual control and adjustment are simple to master, so you won't need to rely on the automatic settings. My only concern with the camera is hat the wifi settings are difficult to set up. I'm pretty good with wireless technologies and it took me quite awhile to figure it out. Make sure you run the set up disk. Unlike many other consumer wireless gadgets, this one requires that you run the setup software. Couldn't just turn on the camera and connect it to the router. As much as it pains me to say this, I should've read the directions prior to jumping in to try to set it up! :-)

Once it's setup, it works great. I've been transferring files to iphone, ipad, and laptop; and transferring to the Canon Image site. All directly from the camera. Even emailed my wife a link to a photo directly from the camera. Camera IS a bit of a battery hog, but I was expecting it.

Update: Since I concentrated on human factors in my review, I thought I would weigh in on flash location interfering with handhold
position. Personally, I didn't notice it until I read the other reviews. I've had other cameras with pop up flashes, so I think I just automatically adjusted to it. That said, I can see how it would annoy some people. The flash is located in the front left-hand corner of the camera, but there IS sufficient space behind the flash to place your finger. Could be a problem if you have large hands, I suppose.. Motor is also strong enough to remind me to move it when it pops up.

----------------------------
Update 20 May:: There is a glitch that's been widely reported that shows that the battery is drained when in video mode. This is a glitch in the indicator, not the actual battery life. Cannon has acknowledged the problem and is working on a fix. Expect the next firmware update to address the issue.
-----------------------------
Update 5 June: New Firmware Released Today!! Details Firmware Version 1.0.2.0 incorporates the following fixes and improvements:

1. Increases the duration of movie shooting by 20% in cases where the optical zoom is used compared to cameras running Firmware Version 1.0.0.0 or Firmware Version 1.0.1.0 through a reduction in the power consumption of the optical zoom.

*Time under default camera settings, when normal operations are performed, such as shooting, pausing, turning the camera on and off, and zooming. (based on conditions established by Canon).
-Under some shooting conditions, the recording time may be shorter than mentioned above.
-Recording time with a fully charged battery.

2. Fixes a phenomenon with cameras running firmware version 1.0.0.0, in which the low battery level warning is prematurely displayed while shooting in movie mode.

Firmware Version 1.0.2.0 is for cameras with firmware Version 1.0.1.0 or Version 1.0.0.0. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.0.2.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware. Please note that, once the camera is updated to the latest version, it cannot be restored to a previous

I installed it with no problems.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 28, 2013 8:20:52 AM PDT
UberPooch says:
Thanks for the review. My SX280 arrives tomorrow so I'm looking forward to it. Really glad you discussed the Wi-Fi feature b/c it was one of my reasons for deciding on this camera.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2013 8:27:03 AM PDT
Telemachus says:
Same here. As much as it pains me to say this...I should've read the directions before I jumped in and tried to set up the camera! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2013 8:30:52 AM PDT
UberPooch says:
@ A. Stagg, I'm the same with directions for items I'm excited to get. I usually toss them aside and consider them to be extra padding for protecting the camera during shipping. :)

Posted on May 6, 2013 1:06:50 PM PDT
S. Huang says:
Hi A.Stagg, Thank you for your review. I bought a SX280 several days ago. I found one issue on my camera and like to know if that happened to your SX280 as well. I put a fully charged battery on SX280 and turned the camera to video mode (the mode with a camcorder sign on it). After I took a video for couple minutes, the battery level started to show the battery is nearly depleted. I had to turned the camera off and turned it on again in order to show the correct battery level. I had tried this several times and the issue still there. Did you find this on your SX280? Thank you very much!

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2013 4:00:32 PM PDT
Telemachus says:
I haven't seen this yet, but I will take a look. Was this with the Cannon battery?

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2013 9:44:55 PM PDT
S. Huang says:
Yes, it's a Canon battery. Thanks!

Posted on May 9, 2013 12:12:16 PM PDT
MeDC says:
You haven't noticed the terrible battery life?

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2013 12:17:45 PM PDT
Telemachus says:
Battery life is not great, but its not terrible during my usage. It's like everything else in this class of cameras. If you want the battery to last, you need to shutoff wifi and GPS. GPS isn't a feature that I find particularly useful...outside of geekiness. Using WiFi transfer REALLY soaks the battery quickly, but for regular camera usage, it hasn't been too bad.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2013 9:59:36 PM PDT
S. Huang says:
This is the problem that my SX280 has. Canon should do something about it.

Posted on May 19, 2013 5:52:13 PM PDT
Ross Mendel says:
I'm really curious, I see the battery life is the main complaint with this camera. But I also see on the product description that there's an "ECO Mode" that saves battery. Have any of you tried ECO Mode to see how it works?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›