2.0 out of 5 stars Guess I didn't see the charm in the book, September 22, 2012
This review is from: My Mother Was Nuts (Hardcover)
I have read the five star reviews, and sadly, I can't give the same rating.

Prior to the book, I really liked Penny Marshall. After reading the book, I can't say I feel the same.

First, just looking at the book itself, the writing is okay...she talks like she is having a conversation, rather than writing "literature", and I like that. But, her conversations are somewhat superficial. There is no true insight into Ms Marshall. No great revelations of a "gee, that's really amazing" when it comes to her personal career and those celebrity friends she name drops ad nauseum (? spelling).

As far as what I walked away with? I found her lacking in any warmth, except when she talks about Carrie Fisher. She wasn't a good mother. She makes no bones about it, and no apologies or sincere regrets. She didn't like, respect or appreciate her parents. Her mother wasn't a great, loving mother, I got that. Her father was a blah personality, I got that. But honestly, nothing gave me the impression she tried to be a loving daughter, either, other than she moved them to California and helped support them financially, but that was done more, I got the impression, because she had the money to do so and was expected of her. You did drugs....I got that. Over and over, I got that. She apparently didn't care much for her sister, because I didn't see any overtures of closeness or wanting to be close to her...more pointing out her sister's faults.

I am sure that this is Penny in real life. Her words certainly ring true, and I appreciate the honesty. There was some humor, often sad or black humor. No true insight into her marriage with Rob Reiner or other personal relationships...everything seems to be glossed over.

Save your money, borrow from the library, or share with Kindle people by trading. I appreciate what Ms Marshall did in her career, and I appreciate her talent. I don't think I care for her as a person, and that taints now how I feel about watching her or her films she directed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 22, 2012 12:16:48 PM PDT
Sharon Macha says:
Ms. Marshall's behavior on the talk-show circuit was rude and arrogant. Why would I want to read anything she had to say? I got a real feel for her character during the interviews on television.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2012 2:03:25 PM PDT
Mainecoon says:
I think you hit the nail right on the head. You summed up what I felt and did it much better in fewer words

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 11:33:33 AM PDT
Ava says:
Hmm I'm glad I read reviews first because they usually tell the true story. I know I won't bother reading this now, as I was hoping to find some warmth to her personality too but don't really think she has it in her. I have noticed her rather boorish behavior also. Thanks for your honest reviews.

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 4:51:44 PM PDT
You summarized my feelings very well.

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 8:11:22 PM PDT
W. Davis says:
I looked forward to reading her book because I've admired her talent as a performer. The book has changed my mind dramatically. I'm only half way through the Kindle version now and already I'm disappointed and sad to learn that she 1. abandoned her daughter as an infant, 2. left two husbands (one because the remodeling of their luxury home was stressful? ?? ) and 3. while doing drugs thought it was hilarious to roll around on an elevator floor??? hmm, I don't think so. Very disappointing...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 4:25:30 PM PDT
Mainecoon says:
I Know...it is so disappointing isn't it? I really ended up not liking her at all

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 6:33:23 PM PDT
Barbara says:
I too thought I might read her book but frankly, I saw her the other night being interviewed by some young women. She was rude and obnoxious to this women. If she didn't want to answer any questions then she shouldn't have sat in the chair. The women had an extremely difficult time with her.....had that been me I would have told her to leave. I would not spend a dime to buy this book now.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 10:39:03 PM PDT
stelsmom says:
I agree...I have it on Kindle and am "flipping" through, not really interested in much of what she says...I'm not through yet, but I wish I had read some of the reviews before I downloaded it...I wouldn't have bothered.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 8:55:19 AM PDT
J. Lewis says:
Were you forced to read this book?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 2:11:52 PM PDT
Mainecoon says:
Of course not, I liked Penny Marshall a lot and paid good money to read what I thought was going to be a funny and informative autobiography. It was neither to me. Thus a REVIEW. This is not the same as saying "Oh, I hate The View " and then watching it and posting daily how much I dislike it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (2,327 customer reviews)
 (1,006)