4.0 out of 5 stars The P11 Stereo Headset, June 6, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PS3 Ear Force P11 Amplified Stereo Gaming Headset (Accessory)
Now, I've only had the headset for a few days now. But I wanted to share my experience with it.

Anyways, I got this headset because of two previous failures on the line. Previously, I've had the Turtle Beach PX-21 (which the P11 is an upgrade for apparently, that's what I've heard anyways) and the Triton AX-180. I tested this headset playing the games Call of Duty Black Ops, Metal Gear Solid 4, and SOCOM 4.

The PX-21 is by far the best I've used so far (even better then this headset) because of it's abundance of features and great sound, but the right earpiece failed within 18 days of purchase. Most people purchasing a headset for such good prices want durability out of their headsets. I'm one of those. I sent it back in for a refund and bought the Triton AX-180.

The Triton's we're a mixed bag with me. The sound quality wasn't as good as with the PX-21's. But the sound was more then enough for me, and the Triton's shared most of the features on the PX-21 (excluding the chat boost). But, approximately 2 months after purchase. The left earphone stopped working. Of course, my warranty had expired. So I decided to search for a new headset to buy, and came up with these. The Turtle Beach P11.

Now, as I've said, I've only owned them for 2 days. But this is a great headset, very close to matching the PX-21. But the lack of earcups that can turn (both the earcups are adjustable on both other headsets) is the first thing I have noticed. It's not bad, and most possibly stops the wiring problems caused by headsets with turning earcups (as in stopping that from breaking very fast).

The second thing I noticed was how the chat boost feature (which I loved) from the PX-21's was removed. This is definitely a down with me, as this was a very nifty feature to have.

The third thing I noticed (actually something that I noticed the moment I put these on) is the buzzing noise. It's usually not this bad, while it was there on both other headsets, it is absolutely terrible on these. With a decent amount turned up it becomes way to apparent. Luckily, the buzzing seems to be either drowned out or goes away whenever sound is going through the headphones, meaning that you can still game pretty easily with these things on. It never get's in the way, but can be annoying in the quieter parts of watching a movie or playing a game. Luckily (yes again), the buzzing seems to start to go away the longer you game with the headphones. It's becoming more and more negligible every day (this is not because I am getting used to it).

But, enough with the problems. The sound out of these things is absolutely amazing, it actually outperforms the PX-21 thanks to it's 50mm speakers compared to the usual 40mm usually associated with this type of headset. The headset performs very well at all volumes. On the games I've played on it, the sound is very good and the direction sound is great. I can hear the sounds I never thought there was in these games before I used headphones just fine. I can also hear an enemies footsteps a great way away.

Apart from that, the P11's do music very well. As well as movies (SWAT and Dungeons and Dragons).

Another thing is that these things are just awesomely lightweight. Most of the time I don't even notice I'm wearing them at all. It weighs next to nothing. This is a definite plus with the bulk of PX-21 (it's larger (the PX-21), not much heavier though) and the strange weight I felt with the Triton's. The earcups are also very comfortable and fit amazingly well around my ears.

But, this lightweight thing leads to the P11's greatest weakness. The materials it is built out of seem very cheap. Most of it is made out of what appears to be plastic, and it all seems very cheap. There is hardly any padding on this headset at all, and I really don't see it lasting very long. We'll see how it does, I'll write back if it ever breaks (ehhem... when it breaks).

Anyways, here is a pro's and con's list of all three headsets to clarify some of the finer points.

Turtle Beach PX-21
+Lightweight
+Chat Monitor
+Adjustable Earcups
+Great Sound
+Chat Boost
+Individual Game and Chat Volume Controls
+Price
-Headphones start to make your head feel bigger after a while
-Durability

+Individual Game and Chat Volume Controls
+Comfy
+Appealing Design
-Durability
-Strange Weight in the middle of the headphones

Turtle Beach P11

Tritton TRIAX-180 AX 180 Universal Gaming Headset

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 10, 2011 7:04:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2011 7:06:34 PM PDT
Jason Ralsky says:
YEP! It is why I tell people to stay away from the PX21. If you need a universal 360/PS3/PC headset the PX21 is not the best bet... it is VERY prone to failure due to that twist design. The bass boost the PX21 had does really improve the depth of the sound you get. So despite the P11 being the upgraded model, in some cases the PX21 can sound better depending on the games you play.
***********

I believe Turtle Beach has a new 360/PS3/PC headset now that fixes the problem called the P3 and P5. They are Xbox/PS3/PC headsets that are WIRELESS The P3 and P5 are designed for the PS3 but compatible with Xbox 360 and PC

It is brand new so it might not be readily available in stores but it basically is a P11 design w/ the features of a PX21 and wireless capability. x.x has that silly Y connector for each Cuff though which drives me bonkers but... at least this time around it seems sturdier.

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 4:36:41 AM PST
Closeyou says:
I own the EEF FOXTROT, 2 of them, and from what I understand they are px21's with MW3 coloring and logos. They are awesome! My friend got the P11 and recommended them to me when I was shopping, but I saw the Foxtrot was on sale for $5 more, and felt it had more options and a cool look so I got them. The bass boost adjustment is great, I use it from game to game. My absolute favorite is SOUND EXPAND, the reason I got the Foxtrot(PX21) over the P11. It really simulates surround sound and enhances COD MW3! Well after using it a few weeks, I decided to buy a second while they were on sale. I highly recommend the foxtrot if you can snag it for $55-$60 like I did. If not, my friend loves his P11 and it is a good cheap alternative. FYI- PX21(16 foot cord), P11( 12 foot cord), which that extra four feet made a big difference to me as well, my flat screen and entertainment system are built in my wall and very high and far from my couch which the Foxtrot cord is just long enough at 16 ft. to be comfortable sitting down. I hope this helps someone and happy headset hunting!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (652 customer reviews)

$59.99 $40.25