2,793 of 3,071 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Here's what I got out of it, December 14, 2010
This review is from: The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman (Hardcover)
I enjoyed the book. I'm not going to claim that the book is perfect or earth-shattering or anything like that. I did find it entertaining to read all the stuff Tim Ferriss put himself through. I've also benefited from some of his recommendations (though not all). Here's what's in the book so you can make your own decision. I've read all 571 pages and tried most of the strategies (I had my copy for a while because I got my hands on an advanced copy).

Ferriss spent more than a decade researching, monitoring, and noting the progress of his own mind and body. He served as his own laboratory genea pig and also played the role of a doctor, physical therapist, and coach to prepare for this book. Like a school boy, Ferris teaches you how to get your classwork done fast so you can go out and play. He asks you to be skeptical of the book and try only that which you think will help you.

Here's what's in it:

Chapter 1: Fundamentals--First And Foremost

* Ferriss describes the "Mininum Effective Dose" (doing the bare minimum to gain the most desired outcome).

Chapter 2: Ground Zero--Getting Started and Swaraj

* Uses Mahatma Gandhi reference to make the case that only we can govern our body and destiny by what we purposely choose to do.

Chapter 3: Subtracting Fat

Five rules for cutting body fat:
1. Avoid "white" carbohydrates
2. Eat the same few meals over and over again
3. Don't drink calories
4. Don't eat fruit
5. Take one day off per week

* The Lost Art of Bingeing: Specific steps to minimize fat gain while splurging

Chapter 4: Adding Muscle

* Building the Perfect Posterior
* Ferriss turns the table for readers who wish to gain weight by offering strategies on how to gain 34 pounds in 28 days with exercises like the Occam's Protocoli, the Bike-Shed Effect, and GOMAD (Gallon of Milk a Day).

Chapter 5: Improving Sex

* Ferriss tells a story about a promise he made to a female yoga instructor who have never experienced an orgasm in her life that he "would fix her inability to orgasm"
* the women has to bring herself "there."
* men need to change the angle and pressure during penetration.

* The 15-min Female Orgasm
1. Explain to partner that you will touch her
2. Get into position
3. Find the Upper-Quadrant Point of the Clitoris, and Stroke Lightly--for 15 minutes.

Chapter 6: Perfecting Sleep

How to Fall Asleep Faster:
* Focus on getting to sleep
* 67ºF to 70ºF is the best room temperature to fall asleep
* Eat a large fat-and protein-dominated meal 3 hours before bedtime
* Use low light in the bedroom
* Take a cold bath an hour before bed
* Use a humidifier to generate cool mist
* Try to sleep in the half-military crawl position

How to Sleep Less and Feel Great
* Learn how to manipulate the sleep cycle to stay in REM sleep longer
* Take frequent 20-min naps throughout the day

Chapter 7: Reversing Injuries

* The $10,000 Fix: Ferriss cured his "permanent" injuries by receiving a concoction of chemicals (i.e. Platelet-rich plasma, Stem cell factor, Bone morphogenic proteint-7, Insulin-like growth factor 1) via injection.

The Cheaper Fix in Stages:
* Stage 1: Movement
* Stage 2: Manipulaiton
* Stage 3: Medication
* Stage 4: Surgery

Chapter 8: Running Faster and Farther

* Jumping Higher: Joe DeFranco, a renowned trainer of the NFL Scouting Combine, worked with Ferriss on his shoulder drive, arm position before the jump, squat stance and hip flexors that allowed Ferriss to jump vertically three inches higher in 48 hours.
* Running Faster: Joe DeFranco also coached Ferriss on how to run the 40-yard dash faster by correcting Ferriss's line-and-arm position at the start line. Ferriss was advised to keep his head down, his knee head of his toes, chin tucked and upper body head of lower body, and to take few steps. Ferriss improved his 40-yard dash by .33 seconds in 48 hours.
* Running Further: Ferriss trains by running 400-meter repeatedly (over and over again) while monitoring quantity of repeats, maximum effort percentage, and rest time. Ken Mierke, a world-champion triathlete helped Ferriss with his stride rate, lean position, and arm movement. With preparation, biomechanics, and training, Ferriss was able to increase his running distance of 5K to 50K in 12 weeks.

Chapter 9: Getting Stronger
The gems in this chapter to become stronger as experimented by Ferriss include:
* Dynamic stretching
* Bench press, push-ups, deadlift to knees
* Static Stretching
* Keep "time under tension" while lifting under 10 seconds to avoid muscle burn.
* "Lift heavy but not hard"
* Keep training times (day or night) consistent.

Chapter 10: From Swimming to Swinging
* Ferriss learned how to swim effortlessly within 10 days
* How to swing a bat like Babe Ruth
* How to hold breath longer Houdini, and David Blaine

Chapter 11: On Longer and Better Life
* Take 5-10 grams of Creatine Monohydrate per day
* Fasting and Protein Cycling
* Donate blood

My biggest criticism is the book didn't do enough with the mind part. For that, you might want to read Emotional Intelligence 2.0. That book did a great deal for my mind.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 104 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2010 10:25:34 AM PST
Sam says:
Best review ever! I saw his bogus website the other day and came here to find ZERO reviews. I thought, "Hmm, this looks like a massive bs marketing thing to rival The Secret, so I'll check back..." BOOM! Next day 100+ 5 Star reviews. Give me a break. The claims are so silly. I currently do the paleo diet (when I want to lose weight, that is) and know it works. Ain't gonna get gain 28 pounds of muscle by working out a total of 4 hours in a month's time, though. And the 15 minute orgasms, reversal of permanent injuries... blah blah blah, your concise review highlights just how much bs there is here. Thanks!

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 2:07:30 AM PST
Kyle says:
Thank you for the review. I love Tim and was totally pumped to buy this book but this review gives me enough insight into what was inside and don't feel like I need to read it. When I was looking into this book I saw a youtube video of him making a quick healthy breakfast, during which he suggested drinking a swing of red wine while his egg whites were being microwaved... so he lost a few points with me there and seeing things like '4. Don't eat fruit' in the review, he lost a few more. Sure you can lose fat by not eating fruit but that isn't a healthy long term solution, it's more of a band aid. Anyway, thank you for this awesome review. P.S Sam, Paleo +1

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2010 1:20:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2010 1:22:11 PM PST
Jason Cai says:
Hey Kyle and Sam, you guys are too nice! Seriously, though, I'm really glad you like the review. I definitely tried to write it from the perspective of what I'd have wanted to know about the book before buying it (good and bad). I also felt like I should review it, since I was able to get my copy early and give most everything in it a try. I use the term "ice bath" to refer to the strategies in there that don't work. Well, not everything in the book has been an ice bath. My intent wasn't to get people to not buy the book, or buy the book. Rather, I just want to allow people to make an informed decision, which is really the whole point of reviewing, right?

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 1:47:37 PM PST
Laura Duffy says:
Thanks, now I don't have to go buy this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2010 2:01:20 PM PST
what's wrong with the ice bath? I tried this after reading Tim's blog post on hacking sleep -- it worked like a charm. Sure it is not so easy to psyche yourself up for an ice bath, but his description of it as akin to an elephant tranquilizer is right on the mark in my experience. Therefore I don't think "ice bath" is the right phrase for you to describe something that doesn't work. BTW, I did find that simply reading non-fiction before bed was the most effective solution to getting to sleep quickly without discomfort of any kind.

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 3:38:02 PM PST
2 cents says:
DON'T EAT FRUIT?????

Yeah, that is stupid.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2010 4:35:35 PM PST
Jason Cai says:
Ya, for whatever reason it just didn't work for me. Maybe it affects each person differently. Believe me, I wasn't too pleased it didn't work after spending 10 mins in a tub full of ice water! Oh well.

BTW, did you really read NON-fiction? The recommendation was to avoid non-fiction. If you did, and it worked, cool! Reading fiction worked for me for a few days.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2010 6:22:56 PM PST
even about 45 minutes after getting out? hmm I did it 5 nights in a row. FWIW, I drink coffee in the AM, also try to get a workout in every day.

oops you are right, fiction was great for getting to sleep :)

Posted on Dec 17, 2010 2:00:47 AM PST
C. Mapes says:
Thank you for this review, you have successfully convinced me not to buy this book. It seems much more like marketing snakeoil then anything else. Nothing here is new or revolutionary, at least his last book did introduce Indian VA's to the public.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2010 12:08:39 PM PST
C. Serrano says:
Want to lose weight? Don't eat sugar. Fruit has sugar. Duh.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›