5.0 out of 5 stars Have the right expectations and you'll see it for the masterpiece it is!, October 23, 2005
This review is from: The Brothers Grimm (DVD)
I've heard a few people say they were disappointed after seing this film; they had expected better. I think a lot of people have the wrong expectations when it comes to The Brothers Grimm: in the theatre I see lots of people of whom I can tell from moment one they will be disappointed.

Mothers with young children who actually think this movie has anything to do with the traditional fairy tales; this movie is NOT for children! If I were 7 I'd wet my bed for days after seing The Brothers Grimm. Young boys and girls on dates, all expecting an easy digestive romcom with an obvious storyline and no depth (I don't know how they got there but they did). That is NOT the case. If you want Finding Nemo, go see Finding Nemo. If you want American Pie, go see American Pie. But don't complain about The Brothers Grimm, because it is an absolute masterpiece!

The storyline is entertaining (one of the few movies that doesn't make you go "when's the intermission already? I need to pee!"), the director paints an amazing picture with his brilliant set, the characters are adorable and the actors do an amazing job. There wasn't a moment I saw them acting instead of being. One thing that really caught my attention was the role of Angelika (by Lena Heady) which reminded me in every single way of Keira Knightley's version of Guinevere in King Arthur - in a good way though.

Overall, I think this movie is a serious tribute to the fantasy genre, and I think that people who can appreciate that will love this. Don't look for logic, don't look for unexpected plots like in The Village and The Others, don't expect American Pie jokes and FOR GOD'S SAKE don't take your little children with you to this movie.

This is a brilliant movie that can hold it's own and if you ask me it deserves lots and lots of attention and awards.

YOU WILL LIKE THIS MOVIE IF YOU LIKE... Sleepy Hollow (with Johnny Depp and Christina Ricci), King Arthur (with Clive Owen and Keira Knightley), Pirates of the Caribbean (with Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 6, 2011 6:38:21 AM PST
C. Fischer says:
Actually, I found this movie to have some similarities with "Shakespeare in Love" in that it gives fictional and dramatic (but loosely based on historical) settings to re-create the mind set of the authors in chronicaling the origins of their stories. Gotta love the twist of the Napoleonic French military bad-guy conquerors with the innocent German villagers!

Posted on Sep 10, 2011 6:24:27 PM PDT
To be fair, I'm a big Terry Gilliam fan and have also studied and love Grimm's Fairy Tales for all their formulaic nonsense. However, I found this movie to be a big let down and, in my opinion, Gilliam's most unformed movie. The script could have used a lot more work, but I expect that after the aborted Don Quixote film, Gilliam was just in a rush to get anything completed and out into the theatre. Speaking of Don Quixote, I even thought the "Lost in LaMancha" documentary was better than this. Adding to the sloppy script, I thought that Ledger and Damon had almost no chemistry together whatsoever, and while Ledger showed that he could "get" Gilliam's humour in Parnassus, I got the distinct feeling that Matt Damon's funny bone did not resonate to Gilliam's tones. Please don't take this as a bash on yourself, simply another view from someone who was severely disappoint and unimpressed by this film, and not for any of the reasons that you warned in your post. My recommendations for Gilliam exploration would be Brazil, 12 Monkeys, The Fisher King, and The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. P.S. I have even watched it again just within the past few months to see if my opinion has changed, and it has not.

Posted on Apr 24, 2014 4:02:34 PM PDT
I agree. Brazil I haven't seen but I got the other three you mentioned which whom I'd say maybe The Fisher King is my favourite. The're all really good.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›