5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Starter Set for Girls, September 2, 2009
This review is from: LEGO Pink Brick Box Large (5560) (Toy)
I grew up on K'Nex. I'm a 23 year old male. I have two little sisters. One's a snob-nosed, arrogant high school senior (I still love her), the other's a sweet, 8-year-old. Nevertheless, the latter plays too many video games, in my opinion.
So I thought of ways to stop that. I hid the controls. She found them. I took away the cable. She complained, but I still kept it away. But I've been thinking for some time of getting her some creativity and educational toys that she can spend hours and hours with. I rummaged through my old toys and found my big ol' K'Nex box. Floods of memories and nostalgia inundated my psyche, and I hoped she would spend countless hours of pure imagination and fun with them as I did. Suffice to say, she played with them for a mere week. Looks like I had lost quite a few pieces over the years; she was limited with the amount she could build and grew bored.

I wasn't too much of a LEGO fan growing up, but I thought I'd give 'em a try. Her birthday came and went, and she's still playing with this set.
Success!
The pink box is a great way to get little girls started with the vast world of LEGOs. Be aware, though: the box isn't filled to the top with the little bricks. I'd say it's only filled about halfway, but that's fair enough in that it leaves room to store more LEGOs in the future.
There are a variety of pieces that come with this set, including a minifigure, a miniature base, garden pieces, a horse, and pieces to form a basic vehicle and house. It's a little household set, if you will.
Furthermore, since this set is geared toward girls, the colors lean to brighter, spring hues.

She hasn't really mentioned video games since getting this set, and even though the structures don't take too much time to build, she spent hours after her initial construction taking them down, and rebuilding several other, imaginative devices of her own.
I'm glad she likes them--that makes me happy. After having a couple friends over, she came down with her LEGO set and started playing in the vicinity. My mates immediately exclaimed "LEGOs!" and began reminiscing of their days rife with the little plastic bricks.

Maybe she wouldn't mind getting some more sets in future Christmases and birthdays, expanding her range of creativity and building. But I sure am glad she likes 'em!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2009 4:20:08 PM PST
K. Simoneaux says:
What a great big brother! :)

Posted on Dec 20, 2009 9:38:39 PM PST
E. Man says:
I agree with K. Simoneaux, kudos to you for being such a thoughtful older brother!!

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 10:13:39 AM PST
V. Westbrook says:
You're a really cool brother, dude!

Posted on May 23, 2012 6:12:44 PM PDT
CA Customer says:
Gee, if I had a son, I wish it would be you! What a wonderful influence you are on your sister. And maybe give the older one a break--the teen years are harsh and she needs your kindness too.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 9:05:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2013 9:36:04 AM PST
romevi says:
Thanks for the support!
We're all actually very close. It was just my way of poking a jab at her. We often do that to each other, so I was writing the review as if she were sitting there next to me.

Her friends often comment how they wish they had the same family dynamic as we do!

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 1:24:10 PM PST
M. Skinger says:
What a great big brother! I hope she is still enjoying these as an almost 13 year old?!! Loved the description of what was included, that 'sealed the deal' for me!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2013 9:35:40 AM PST
romevi says:
She's 12 now, and she still is!
She's a big Pokemon fan, so she uses her LEGO to make makeshift beds and housing for her Pocket Monster plushes.

At the time of the review, I still was living with my parents, so I can't tell how often she uses her LEGO. She's back to using the Wii (which I let her borrow) and is constantly on her iPod Touch.

Let's hope for the best!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (184 customer reviews)

$29.99 $28.19