Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

4.0 out of 5 stars Very, very nice laptop without windows 8, November 7, 2012
This review is from: Lenovo IdeaPad Z585 261729U 15.6-Inch Laptop (2.3 GHz AMD A10-4600M Processor, 6GB DIMM, 750GB HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium) Grey Metal (Personal Computers)
Besides my 21 yr old son owning his Lenovo Ideapad A-4 for over a year without any problems or glitches, I purchased this laptop from Fry's Electronics (sorry Amazon) based on the solid feeling metal casing, the price being under $500, having 6 GB ram and a 750 GB hard drive with an AMD A-10 processor and a $14.99 upgrade to Windows 8 (free after rebate). Whoo-hoo, I found a deal! I had to return it after 1 day because I couldn't get the card reader slot to open. Fry's gladly exchanged it for me. I had to return the 2nd one after 2 days because after loading Windows 8 I got memory error messages and could not open the Internet Explorer. Fry's reluctanly exchanged it again. I've now had the 3rd laptop for 4 days. It was working wonderfully with Windows 7, I was sooo happy with my purchase. Being that I had already purchased Windows 8 when I had laptop #2, I decided to go ahead try downloading it to laptop #3. Again, I received memory errors, could not access the web with Internet Explorer and I was unable to register Windows becasue my product key was used on laptop #2. After 4 hours on the phone trouble shooting with Microsoft, they finally gave me a new product key. I advised the tech that I think there is an incompatibility issue with this Lenovo and Win 8. He harshly explained that all PC's manufactured after June 2, 2012 are compatible with Win 8. He suggested I wait until I received my Windows 8 DVD in the mail ($14.99 at time of free upgrade) to try re-installing the operating system. We finally got to the web using Google Chrome. I went ahead and tried reinstalling Win 8 with the restore partition. It worked, but all the Lenovo pre-installed programs and drivers were gone. My desktop was blank, but I was able to access the web with Internet Explorer until I started downloading the Lenovo drivers and pre-installed apps again. I don't know if I should try again or just put Win 7 back on it. (Purchased an ASUS with same specs for my husband 2 wks agao, loaded Win 8, no problems at all.) Bottom line, The Lenovo Z585 is a very, very nice laptop WITHOUT Win 8! I would definitely recommend this laptop to others as long as you have the patience to find the driver or program that's causing the incompatibility issues or purchase the newer model with Win 8 pre-installed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2012 1:04:32 PM PST
Chris says:
Thank you for the tip about Frys. I ordered this on Oct. 31st though Amazon and won't be here until Nov. 14th.
I took your advise and went to frys.com and got it for 487.29 with 2 day shipping.
Take care and again, thank you for your review and suggestion. :)

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 10:57:51 PM PST
David J8 says:
Hello Ness7386. I have a suggestion, for getting Windows 8 Pro and Windows 7 to be usable on the same Ideapad Z585. OK, this is how I did it, there are for sure many other ways to accomplish the same goal (I am typing this from the Lenovo Z585 Ideapad.).

1.) I purchased Windows 8 Pro w/promo code (within Win7) and downloaded Win8 files.
2.) Created a ISO file with downloaded Win8 files (can create for use on a USB, too) and burned ISO file to blank DVD.
3.)Downloaded and installed a partitioning tool. (I used AOMEI Partition Assistant Home Edition-FREE and easy to use).
Links: http://www.extend-partition.com/download.html http://download.cnet.com/Aomei-Partition-Assistant-Home-Edition/3000-18512_4-75118871.html
4.)I used Partition tool on C: Windows7_OS, create partition option, upon the pop-up window to change size of win7 (grab dot button, with mouse pointer, move/shrink to the left) I made Win7 into 150GB partition.
5.)Then I used the create partition option again on the leftover/unallocated amount left over from step 4, resized to the left to create 150GB (This I used for Win8) in the pop-up window for this "blank" 150GB, MAKE SURE to set file system to NTFS.
6.)I left the final 350+GB unallocated (My personal choice, to leave this open/available for Ubuntu and other Linux OSs').
7.)Press 'Apply' on the left of the main window of AOMEI. A reboot is required, for AOMEI to do a 'PreOS repartition.
8.)I then, after all partitions are made, boot into Win7, just to check.
9.)Inserted Win8 DVD, reboot, press/hold F12 key, then adjust booting option for optical drive (So Win8 can be read from DVD 1st.
10.)Then when you get to the setup instructions for installing Win8 (from DVD), follow steps, when you get to the option for 'Advanced Installation'-select this. When you get to the partition setup screen for Win8, I used the blank 150GB NTFS, that was created earlier, select this.
*Note: I did not uninstall anything, when presented with the option to do so. So far Win8 is working great, I really do like it, but it does take some getting use to (Like most new things in life.). The only 'niggle' was, when I checked in Win8 for updates and installed all updates, rebooted, then my wireless "acted up". No problem, just ran network troubleshooter (in Control Panel), then the only thing required to sort it out, was to re-enter the wireless key. (restart if needed). All is well.

I hope this is helpful/useful for you. By the way, Windows 8 does setup with a 'Boot Menu', to switch between the two window OSs'. Let me know if you have questions. Take care. Cheers. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›