Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking Journey of Love., January 18, 2004
Cold Mountain is a beautiful movie set during the American Civil War. A North Carolina town of Cold Mountain has sent it's beloved sons to war leaving behind Mothers and Lovers. Our two main characters are Ada (Nicole Kidman) and Inman (Jude Law) two Cold Mountain residents dedicated to there reunion after the war, but the war drags on and there correspondence is the only thing that unites them in a terrible time of American History.
The movie tells of Inman's journey back to Ada and the parrallel story of Ada trying to survive on her fathers farm. Both characters take a journey in spirit and determination to survive the horror that has become there existance during the war.
I loved the intertwining of music and drama in this movie. Anthony Mingella did, as expected, an excellent job etching the powerful feelings of hope and dismay with haunting music written by Sting and performed by the clear voice of blue grasses own Alison Krauss. I am from North Carolina am familiar with the native music of the area and thought the music in the movie very similar and so wonderful.
Although, this is a Love Story more than a movie of the American Civil War it stirred the feeling of my Southern Roots. The movie did not contemplate the reasons for the Civil War but it was a vehicle for ours lovers seperation. I found the depiction of the Petersburg battle flawed not entirely accurate to history but then again the war is not the focus in the movie.
I was in aw of the cinemontography of this movie, magnificent. A gorgeous movie that needs to be seen.
Perhaps I am biased, since I am a North Carolinian, but I thought this movie excellent, bittersweet, wonderfully acted, and crafted by the best in the movie business today. I would recommend this movie.
I was so touched by the Lovers' correspondence between each other the quiet love between two people spelled out in words. You hear Ada reading her letters to Inman on his journey back to her and your heart aches for the both of them......sigh.
girldiver:)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 10, 2008 3:00:38 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2010 5:02:05 PM PST
I had no trouble reading this review; I found four spelling errors in the review; about par for the course considering how differently people enter their reviews (sometimes on very small keypads). I didn't know that posting reviews was a spelling contest. Amazon doesn't have "spelling police."

It's true North Carolina has a poor public school system that does not stress correct spelling (my own son went to public school in NC and didn't learn to spell; he's now a newspaper editor so it didn't kill him) but why bring this up on Amazon?

I think the review was wonderful and I thank girldiver for writing it. Sincerely, Catherine Todd

Posted on Mar 5, 2016 12:21:46 PM PST
Wade Dizdar says:
I regularly change punctuation as well as spelling, when I write online. Since there is no English teacher to correct, I go like a movie I'd like, for conversational meaning, punch and effect. I mean, should I have to make quick decisions.

I don't ponder over something, just to similarly stop readers in their tracks, meditating upon grammar.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item not available
Reviewer

Location: tangled up in blue.