2.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as expected., January 29, 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch: A Novel (Pulitzer Prize for Fiction) (Kindle Edition)
Given all of the amazing reviews, and the NY Times rating, I had really high expectations. The story started off really strong and interesting, but became tedious, to the point that by the end I was skipping pages just to get through it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 10, 2014 3:03:46 AM PDT
Beth says:
Same here. Glad I waited for the library book and didn't spend money on it!

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 6:02:04 PM PDT
I agree

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 7:04:10 PM PDT
I totally agree...Can't believe this just won the Pulitzer Prize...I have just lost all respect for that award...

Posted on May 1, 2014 3:39:05 PM PDT
I agree, I am about 1/3 through the book and got really tired reading of his alcohol and drug adventures, so I am skipping pages just to get on with the story.
So far the Goldfinch hasn't played a major role. I'm sorry I purchased it, I should have just gotten it from the library.

Posted on May 6, 2014 7:12:13 AM PDT
You wrote the perfect review for this book!

Posted on May 10, 2014 3:20:21 PM PDT
Serena Bass says:
I'm so glad others skipped pages too. i was gripped till about 2/3 of the way through then I began to realize there was never going to be a resolution and just more and more self indulgent WORDS!!!!!!!
The Pulitzer people were brainwashed and ultimately duped by the endless mulling of ideas and possibilities and useless, loser behavior of the anti-hero.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2014 4:06:03 AM PDT
N. Chando says:
Glad to hear others skipped pages too. I am trying to get through this book because I bought it. It is a long haul and I don't like all the drugs and alcohol or the things mentioned that were wrong time-wise.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2014 1:04:36 AM PDT
Something you have to understand about the Pulitzer for Fiction is that, at least in the last 10 years or so, it's been awarded to a very specific type of novel. Something that's a story in itself, but also addresses themes on a much larger scale. But more than that... I think they're looking for characters who are marginalized. Or who make themselves marginalized. I can't really explain what I'm trying to say here, but it's kind of like how the Academy of Motion Pictures will award Best Picture to a film that's about the Holocaust or slavery...

When it comes to novels, personal taste is really everything. But I think if you want to look at books that win awards, but that are also good, the Man Booker Prize for Fiction is a good one, as are the National Book Award finalists...

Posted on Jun 5, 2014 8:24:25 AM PDT
J. Murphy says:
Ditto!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2014 1:25:51 PM PDT
VintageFan says:
Took the words right out of my mouth.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (14,821 customer reviews)
 (6,208)