1.0 out of 5 stars Would have been nice if I could play it (UPDATED : I played it), October 22, 2008
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space - PC (Video Game)
Went to Best Buy to buy a new Wiimote yesterday and saw this game. I bought both.

Came back and install it on my Dell Dimension 9200, which is about as pre-built as you can get right? No vista driver problems for me, right?

WRONG. 2 + 2 = giraffes WRONG.

First I had to tell my antivirus and spyware software about a BILLION times to let secure-rom install.

Second I installed it and rebooted.

Third my dvd drive no longer works.

I am not sure what changed between Bioshock and this game cause I bought Bioshock and had no problem with secure-rom back then. I bought bioshock full price and don't regret a single cent because I ACTUALLY GOT TO PLAY BIOSHOCK. I finished bioshock without even cracking it (although I eventually did for a second play-through, cause who wants to find the dvd everytime right).

REVIEW UPDATED :

Funny thing. I never did install Dead Space again on my system. I just can't risk having SecureRom on it again since I actually do tons of work on it. So here is a review of a cracked version of the game, as opposed to the boxed copy which now sits next to other games I don't play anymore (poor HL2). I think EA should have an option when you insert the disk that lets you chose between installing their DRM version or downloading a cracked one. I am joking but I totally am not.

The game runs nicely on my Dell Dimension 9200, which ran Bioshock and COD4 on high just fine. If you compare it to PC exclusive titles you can tell the textures in this game is low quality. Nevertheless, it has a nice, polished look.

The controls are fine. I tried it with my xbox 360 control but just can't bring myself to play any kind of fps without keyboard/mouse. The game forces the mouse turn rate so your character can't magically turn 180 degrees in half a second. This didn't bother me, and I actually think it's a nice way to add some realism into the controls.

The overall experience is effective and addictive, if not for the reason the developer stated. They said it was mostly about psychological fear, with help from shadows and music. The game is actually mostly about enemies popping out or dropping down from ceilings. They said it's about strategic dismemberment. It's strategic the first 5 times, by then it's more like habitual dismemberment. Shoot limbs for maximum damage doesn't require more IQ than boom headshot.

Nevertheless, the game just flows very well, and lots of little things are put into it to keep you in the game world 99% of the time. It's obvious the developers put a lot of thought into the interface and controls. It's something new to the genre that future games can learn from.

So now having played the game (I plan on replaying it on Easy so I can just wack the enemies to death, and then on Hard to give myself more of a rush) I think it's worth the money. However, a big part of the reason I think that is cause I played a cracked copy put together by the pirates which installed the game and not secure rom. So I'm very conflicted about the whole thing. I definitely don't want any more secure rom nonsense but at the same time I'm happy I bought the game (to support more games like this on my PC). I guess I'll continue to buy games with secure rom if it's good enough like this one or bioshock, but I'll still be playing the vastly superior pirated copy instead. Everybody wins, I guess. At least everybody who is honest enough to buy the game, and then smart enough to download a cracked copy too :/

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 2, 2008 12:45:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2008 11:42:24 AM PST
TJB says:
This is a prime example of how invasive DRM drives honest costumers to being pirates - if one has to download and install a cracked version anyway, why bother and buy the game in the first place? I bet many folks will not be that law abiding as as the reviewer and simply download the pirated game once they figured out how easy it is to get.

So if Securom creates pirates, why does EA continue to put Securom with limited activations on their games under the argument to prevent piracy? The reason is simple: to stomp out the second hand marked. This type of DRM does not prevent any piracy (indeed, it creates more pirates), but what it does achieve is effectively remove the right of customers to resell their game after they played it (something EA can not forbid buyers under US law, hence the straw-man argument "we fight piracy").

I am sure an analyst at EA estimated the additional losses due to bad publicity/additional piracy and compared it to the increase in revenue due to eliminating the second hand marked - it seems there is a net plus on EA's side, so they keep slapping Securom on any new game (I wonder when they find a clever way to eliminate the second hand marked for consoles too). Of course, most aggravating for Jon Doe are the added annoyances one encounters when one simply wants to play the game one has bought (compromising the integrity/security of the operating system by allowing Securom to be installed at the kernel level, allowing it to cripple DVD drives and third party software like Roxio etc., and simply refusing ones right to play the game after a few system upgrades).

What can we do about it? Not much, except to boycott games with limited activations, which is what I decided to do. I am a PC-gamer from the very first hour and own/played hundreds of games, but enough is enough - EA managed to alienate a paying customer of 20+ years. Well done.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2008 5:24:23 PM PST
Michael Chu says:
Well to be honest, DRM doesn't play that big of a role in piracy, hype does. Normally I would never buy anything from EA cause most of them blow. I only bought Dead Space because it's been ages since I played a horror game and like I said I was trying to pass the time (also the preview was decent). The problem with EA isn't SecureRom, it's SecureRom on top of releasing utter crap, or mediocrity that doesn't justify the level of DRM. I mean, if Starcraft had pain in the butt DRM it would STILL be one of the most popular games ever.

Of course, if Starcraft had pain in the butt DRM I would do the same thing I did here, buy the game to support the developer and then promptly download a pirate copy.

Posted on Nov 7, 2008 9:48:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2008 9:51:04 AM PST
Kid Icarus says:
not only does SecurROM ruin your experience with the game, I find(with Mask of the Betrayer) that even if you uninstall it, SecurROM remains. Permanantly. You cannot delet registry entries <DO NOT_EVER DELETE THIS ENTRY!!!> it says, (and refuses to be deleted) you are stuck with a wonky screwy computer that boots slow, loads slow and can be hacked any brat and his maiden aunt until you unpartiion the HD. I am totally offended. Do not buy from EA, or Atari either, for reasons other than this, they sensor everything. Disney-do-rights!

Posted on Nov 13, 2008 9:50:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2008 9:53:50 PM PST
Mark says:

Posted on Nov 16, 2008 3:31:21 PM PST
Hello World says:
I think cracked versions of securom games still install securom; they just by pass the checks it requires. I'm not sure, I could be wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2008 2:55:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2008 2:56:13 AM PST
Burr says:
So since you have never had a problem that means every other computer user on the face of the planet hasn't or shouldn't?

I have seen this same perspective on so many different subjects within the PC community. The classic "I have no problems, so you shouldn't either... and if you do, it's your fault."

Not only is it narrow-minded, it is just not a very original or persuasive argument.

Posted on Jul 24, 2010 3:31:15 PM PDT
Slo-Hand says:
Dell Dimension 9200 : I looked up the specs. The CPU runs at 2.13 GHZ. That should not be enough to run the game according to EA (min 2.8ghz). I have the game but I have a core2quad 2.33ghz and I don't want to waste my time installing a game my computer can't run. Any help or clarification you could give on the issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanx !
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.2 out of 5 stars (247 customer reviews)

$19.99 $11.95