Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now STEM Toys & Games

1.0 out of 5 stars Large capacity, but slower than a turtle!, August 13, 2012
This review is from: SanDisk Cruzer Glide CZ60 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive- SDCZ60-064G-B35 (Personal Computers)
I have used a lot of flash drives, dating back to 4/8mb drives. I've received a lot of promotional drives free from various conventions, but I've yet to see a flash drive made out of material as cheap as the Glide drives are.

The transfer speed is just plain simple horrible. I transferred 500mb of data, various sized files and I got an average of 4.1MBps transfer speed. So to fill the drive, it'll take 4+ hours. In this day an age, having a write speed of 4MBps is just not acceptable. No matter how low the price point of a drive this size is, a low write speed is not acceptable. I got this fairly cheap for the storage size and I don't expect the memory chip on-board to last long. Sadly I no longer have the packaging to return it to the store.

I've owned plenty of SanDisk products (SD Card, CF Card, USB Drives) over the years, and I've seen the decline in quality over the years. Wonder where it goes from here!

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2012 8:16:20 AM PST
unevenair says:
Couldn't agree with you more. I picked up 2 of the 32 GB models on black friday mainly to copy video files between computers and the ps3. I've actually been getting less than 4.1MBps. More in the mid to upper 3 range. Looks like this one is going in my car to play mp3's. We were going to pick up some 64 GB models to host our images at work, but I'm definitely going to recommend a different model.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 10:25:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 10:27:16 PM PST
Monica K says:
Write(PC to USB) speed 4.0 MB/s is 4.0 mega bytes per second NOT 4.0 mega bits.
So, If you copy 500 mega bytes into USB, it will take about 2 minutes. see below calculation.
500 MB / 4 MB(per sec.) = 125 MB(per sec.) = 125 MB / 60 sec = 2.08 min.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 5:21:19 PM PST
Ravi says:
Not sure what you're trying to point out. The 4+ hours estimate is for full drive, not 500MB.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 1:46:13 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 14, 2013 1:50:14 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 8:27:36 AM PDT

Posted on Jun 17, 2013 2:23:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2013 2:24:50 AM PDT
Monica K is right. Very roughly @ 4 MBps it should take around 2 mins to write 0.5 GB. So a "32 GB" drive would take approx. 64 such cycles or 128 minutes which is a little over 2 hours not 4+ hours estimated by OP.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2013 3:37:08 AM PDT
Ravi says:
And since the review is for 64GB drive, how long will that take?

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 12:21:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2013 12:27:19 AM PDT
Mr. Natural says:
Totally agree with Ravi. This dog is slow as MUD. I got this in 32GB as a gift for my cousin. I formatted it as NTFS (didn't want the crummy software). When we tried to backup all the photos on her Win8 laptop (USB2 port), it was barely moving and estimated time was over 2 hours. We plugged her new external hard drive (Touro 7,200rpm USB3) into the same port, and it finished in 5 minutes. I have never experienced such a SLOW flashdrive, and you're right, it's cheap, cheap, cheap.

Posted on Nov 29, 2013 7:10:22 AM PST
L. Zhao says:
With the same money you got double the storage comparing 128GB Cruzer and 64GB Extreme. You get what you pay for. Go Sandisk Extreme 64GB USB flash for 100MBps+ speed. You do complaint when you want more from the manufactory but just want to pay less (free is even better).

Posted on Feb 16, 2014 1:04:05 PM PST
Jody says:
I transferred a LOT of photos to my work computer, and am in the process of transferring them to my home computer from my SanDisk. I've been in the process for FIVE HOURS. I wish I'd read these reviews before buying it.

Whatever the speed is SUPPOSED to be, I can tell you now: this is slow as sin and driving us all insane. I'm downloading 100 pics at a time, only so that I don't lose track of where I am as they upload (when I grabbed everything and tried to just let it run, it quit). Awful.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›