Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

3.0 out of 5 stars WRT1900AC Has some serious problems, its not ready for Primetime., June 20, 2014
This review is from: Linksys WRT AC1900 Dual-Band+ Wi-Fi Wireless Router with Gigabit & USB 3.0 Ports and eSATA, Smart Wi-Fi Enabled to Control Your Network from Anywhere (WRT1900AC) (Personal Computers)
I purchased this router directly from the Linksys store. The router is very attractive, if a bit large. From the day I took it out of the box I began having problems with it locking up when an external drive was attached to the USB 3.0 Port. Over night it would loose the drive. When logging into the interface to try and get it to recognize the drive, the unit would lock up, and then spontaneously reboot. After about 3 days of this, the router rebooted, reset itself to factory defaults, and from that point onward would spontaneously reboot every 15 to 20 minutes.

Linksys support is divided into three tiers, and they did try and help me quickly. The issue finally made its way to the engineering support team (Tier 3), who told me they have had many of these routers having this rebooting issue, and they are trying to capture the hardware involved, since the ones they have had returned have not been able to duplicate the problem.

So a new 250.00 router that hasn't worked since it came out of the box, 4 days on the phone and in email with Linksys support as this wound its way up the tiers, Multiple reconfigurations, wipes, firmware reloads. A customer service department that has NO idea how to process the exchange for the WRT line, another 250 for advance ship of replacement, Linksys generated UPS return labels with the wrong address printed on them, a ton of frustration and wasted time, and another weekend waiting for the replacement.

This has been a very expensive, and time consuming purchase. I would highly advise anyone looking at this router to wait a few weeks while their engineering team figures out what the issues are with the product. While I often sign on to beta test products, I have never had to pay 500.00 to do it without ever even being asked.

I will update once the replacement arrives.

UPDATE 6-25-2014

Well the replacement was supposed to be here on Monday, but they didn't even ship it till Monday. They were supposed to ship it overnight, instead they shipped it ups to post office to me. Still have not received the replacement.

Update - 6-26-2014

The new router finally arrived today. Got it installed, configured and operating. So far so good, it still is not recognizing my external drive as USB 3.0, but it hasn't failed, lost the drive, or rebooted so far.

The next couple of days will tell the tale.

I still stand by my original position that this router can be as buggy as an ant farm, and depending on your luck, you may get one with no problems, or you may get a boat anchor like the first one I received. Purchasing from Amazon would at least shelter you from the fluster cuck of Linksys replacement process, but really who buys a router expecting to spend two solid weeks trying to get the thing to work.

I will update again in a few days, once I have had a chance to put the new one through its paces, and see if it fails again.

Final Update - 6-28-2014

The replacement router appears to be working as designed. I have given it one additional star, since when it works, its a really nice piece of equipment. Still will not recognize any USB 3.0 Platter drive as USB 3.0, but it is working at USB 2.0 speeds. None of the original rebooting, or loss of Drive problems appear to be present in the replacement router.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 20, 2014 9:08:46 PM PDT
Wheels says:
Well written, well said.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Posted on Jun 21, 2014 5:45:27 AM PDT
Next time I would suggest purchasing from amazon it seems like your biggest issue was the return of the product you have to expect something to happen to newly released products. So anything new I make sure I purchase for places that have frustration free returns such as the wonderful AMAZON.

Posted on Jun 21, 2014 6:11:30 PM PDT
Linksys says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Hi Kevin,

We greatly appreciate you for spending the time in trying to fix the challenges you had with the Linksys WRT1900AC. We greatly appreciate your cooperation with the Support Team. This will greatly help the engineering team in figuring out the hiccups in this new router model. Thank you for sharing your experience and should you need further assistance, email us at LinksysCares@linksys.com. Kindly indicate your contact details and the link to this review.

Regards,

Linksys Support

Posted on Jun 25, 2014 3:23:30 AM PDT
W. Albert says:
Yes, please Kevin - we are close to deciding to buy this & are quite anxious to hear the resolution & results of your unfortunate predicament. Please keep this review current., we'd be most grateful....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2014 11:09:47 AM PDT
Kevin says:
Well the replacement was supposed to be here on Monday, but they didn't even ship it till Monday. They were supposed to ship it over night, instead they shipped it ups to postoffice to me. Still have not received the replacement, and to be honest I am so sick of this, I may just refuse shipment and go with Netgear.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2014 2:46:59 PM PDT
Linksys says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Hi Kevin,

We'd like to know if the the unit has arrived already. If not, kindly email us your contact details at LinksysCares@linksys.com so we can verify its status and make a follow up for you. Kindly include the link to your post.

Regards,

Linksys Support

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2014 5:16:31 PM PDT
David white says:
This post tells me that the support team does not have Kevin's case in front of them...which is a no..no. They already have the information Kevin has provided time and time again. I will not buy this product because Linksys is asking him to provide information they already have. Poor customer service!

Posted on Jun 28, 2014 9:24:41 AM PDT
G.R. says:
Good review Kevin, I'm glad I read your review before deciding to purchase this router. I don't have time to volunteer to be Linksys's testbed/troubleshooter. They have people on their payroll who are supposed to resolve many of these systemic issues. I've seen their standard responses (pretty much identical to the ones on Amazon) scattered all over the internet but nothing seems to change. I guess I'll continue using my E2000 for now.

Posted on Jun 30, 2014 1:30:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2014 1:31:58 PM PDT
asterix says:
I am absolutely, tired of dealing with these manufacturers shipping buggy products and expecting us to do beta and integration testing on their firmware. Netgear is even worse. I was looking at ponying up the difference in price for this, until I ready your experience. Sounds like Linksys support is horrible.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2014 2:37:55 PM PDT
Kevin says:
Hi Asterix,

Besides the fact that Linksys has its support facilities offshore, and it was at times quite challenging trying to understand them through the thick accents, the Tech support folks really did try and assist me, and they knew their product pretty well.

Where I ran face first into some major unhappy was with their customer service team. They didn't know the product, they didn't handle it as a failure of their premier product, and every promise or assurance they made didn't pan out.

While it is a shame they rushed this to market before they ironed out some pretty significant issues, if you ever need technical support they are actually pretty easy to work with, call you back when they say they will, etc.

Just buy it from Amazon, and you can avoid the entire team of customer support script readers.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›