3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but not great!, May 28, 2013
This review is from: GRID 2 [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Grid 2 fills the whole for a new racing game but I can't help but feel they didn't try very hard to make it as great as the original Grid.

Let's start off with some positives in Grid 2.

First off, I think the game looks pretty amazing. The car models, environment, even the crowds, all look really great. Grid 2 runs extremely well on my GTX 670 FTW+ @ 2560x1440. I average around 50fps with all settings at max and the game just runs beautifully. There is the occasional hiccup here and there but I think that has more to do with the game being on my HDD then the actual game.

There's a decent amount of tracks and gamemodes and most are pretty fun. One race you'll be doing an elimination event, next you'll be doing an endurance race, then you'll be doing a drift event. Every mode does feel distinct for the most part but it does start getting repetitive doing the same mode 3 times in a row.

The car selection is also pretty good with around 50 cars. Each car does feel and handle differently to a certain degree which I'll explain later on.

Now for the cons.

The overall feel of driving the cars just isn't that great to be honest. They all handle pretty well up until the point of needing to corner. For some reason Codemasters decided that it would be better to have to drift or powerslide around every corner. You can't corner like you'd normally do in a racing game because you'll go head on into a wall. You have to hit the breaks and then smash the gas and drift every corner. It does get rather old after a few hours and I think it takes a lot of the fun out of playing the game.

I feel the track selection is pretty weak compared to the first Grid. You end up doing the same tracks over and over, sometimes back to back. I don't know the exact number of tracks in Grid 2 but I think it's only around a little more then 20. This is a problem when going through the single player because you end up doing the same kinds of events on the same tracks multiple times. They may change the route in some tracks but to me I don't really notice it since the environment looks identical to the race I just did two times before.

Another major problem in Grid 2 is them getting rid of the money system in single player. Instead you earn fans after doing a race which is just a stupid idea. They hand cars out throughout the campaign and you can't purchase new cars or purchase upgrades for the cars. Here's the really weird thing, in multiplayer the money system is back and you can purchase new cars or upgrade your existing car in stages. It's really beyond me why they would remove it from the single player and add it to multiplayer.

One major gripe I have with Codemasters is $25 worth of DLC on day one. This to me is just insane and really disrespectful to their customers. Okay, I just bought your game brand new when it came out and you want me to shell out an additional $25 for content that's already in the game? Not gonna happen guys!

Overall I feel the original Grid is a much better game compared to Grid 2, even to this day. The graphic improvements over the first game is nice but I don't feel it's really a major advancement graphically over the first game. The handling is purely arcade with no simulation to be found. The event's start getting repetitive after a few hours and the game just starts feeling like a chore to get through. On top of this, Codemasters has DLC worth almost half what the game costs on the very first day of release.

Do I think the game is worth buying? Sure, if you have nothing else to play or you want a racing fix. Do I think the game is worth full price? Absolutely not! I can't recommend a game where they have this much DLC on day one. Now if you can pick up Grid 2 with the DLC included down the road in a Steam sale for half price then I think it would be worth it.

Grid 2 is a decent filler game which is kinda sad. I don't feel like there's anything here to make you want to play it multiple times. I'm struggling to get through the game once due to how boring it's starting to get after 6 hours.

[Add comment]