5.0 out of 5 stars How are they able to do it?, November 1, 2012
This review is from: Dexter: Season 7 (DVD)
I began watching the 7th Season with low expectations. I became disappointed with Dexter after Season 4 as some of the murders became inplausable and I thought the series lacked the creativity and suspense of the first two seasons. The show's pattern of watching Dexter stalk other serial killers became too familiar with less attention focused on character development. In my experience, it is *character development* that makes a series like this so watchable. With Season 7, the show has restored itself to a level of viewership found in earlier seasons.

In Season 7, while Dexter's character continues to evolve, the show focuses more on Deb's character. Watching Deb and Dexter interact is fascinating - they both evolve in their relationship as each learns more about one another. As Deb learns more about Dexter, we watch with anticipation how she reacts as she battles her own demons. The evolution of Deb's character takes center stage in this season, a break in the series. Dexter's new nemesis - the head of a crime family played with charm and great intensity by Ray Stevenson - is far more complex than the killer in Season 6.

Yvonne Strahovski does a terrific job playing Hannah McKay - a mysterious and cunning character who has the rare opportunity of getting close enough to Dexter to earn some of his trust. One of the more philosophical questions this season poses is the cost/benefit of making yourself vulnerable in relationships. And Erik King makes a welcome and sometimes humorous return playing Doakes during flashbacks - the only person who was on to Dexter from the beginning.

A great show like Dexter takes the audience to a place it's never been before. In season 1, we had a glimpse for the very first time how a serial killer might think and feel on an intimate level. In Season 7, the audience is taken to another place we can only try to imagine: what would it be like to learn your brother was a serial killer? How would you feel? And what would you do if your job was to protect the public from the very kind of person your brother had become? Watching someone work through the complexity of these emotions makes great television. To keep this series fresh after 6 seasons, the show had to do more than its already done.

The producers have made wise decisions by taking the audience back into new territory. So if you've watched the other 6 seasons and are thinking of quitting, give this season a chance.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2012 7:03:55 PM PST
Thanks, I thought I gave up on Dexter in season 6. Now I want to see all of season 7

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 11:02:01 PM PST
Stole the words straight from my mouth. I loved the first four seasons. John Lithgow as a serial killer could not be any more perfect but the fifth and sixth seasons, especially six, were sub par at best. It lost so much of it's edge and originality that made this show so special. But season seven has just saved it. Just finished the last episode and the final five minutes kept me on my toes. When she pulled the trigger, I damn near fell out of of my chair. Thank you for being the first reviewer here and for giving weary viewers something to look forward to.

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 2:18:07 PM PST
J. Ferguson says:
I guess that I see Dexter a little different than other viewers: I do not think Season 5 was subpar. In fact, I thought it was the best season to that point. Stiles was great.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 1:37:01 PM PST
B. Murphy says:
i COMPLETELY agree i for season 5 it got to the point where i was like come on ONE serial killer one story line i started losing interest but i loved the show so much. THIS SEASON 7 is my favorite and i think that is the first that a shows first few seasons werent my fave. filed with so many questions we have been wanting answers too and a sense of relief now that dexter has people who actually know the true DEXTER and he begins to realize "maybe everything my dad told me wasnt true maybe i can really love someone and people can really love me, the real dexter".... darkside included :)

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 11:28:33 PM PST
The first five episodes of Season 7 are amazing but it became crap after that. The writing took a 180 degree turn into implausible, contrived storytelling that I never want to see another episode. I have never seen a show derail like Dexter did in the second half of Season 7. Logic, characters and everything else got thrown right out the window.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2013 2:09:21 PM PDT
Hernan Perez says:
Use a spolier alert caption next time please

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2013 8:02:31 PM PDT
B. Law says:
It's hard not to write a review without mentioning a little about the story...was the any part in particular you thought was too much info?

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2013 2:55:06 AM PDT
Shaun says:
Completely agree. Seasons 1-5 were great. Flaws here and there but great. Season 6 was boring for me. Just didn't care for the storyline and the reveal was predictable. The cliff hanger brought me back in though. Season 7 was awesome IMO and the season 8 previews look awesome.

Posted on May 30, 2013 5:42:35 PM PDT
Hot to Trot says:
Nice review - you echoed quite a few of my sentiments. It's about time Debra did something other than adding to her penis scrapbook. I would love it if I had a brother who was a serial killer - I could put his talents to good use!

Posted on May 30, 2013 5:47:12 PM PDT