3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concepts, December 30, 2011
This review is from: The Primal Blueprint 21-Day Total Body Transformation: A step-by-step, gene reprogramming action plan (Paperback)
Overall I think Mark Sisson did a good job putting this book together and supporting his arguments, but the actual blueprint is a stretch I think for the mere mortal to follow. Most of us with jobs and families will have a hard time creating the "zen-like" environment that Mark describes. I would love to wake up with the sun light, drift off to sleep with calming sounds, and workout at the beach, but that just isn't reality. Most of us have a job that requires us to be up before the sun (especially in the winter), and by the time we return home to family and responsibilities, just getting a few minutes peace is miracle. Not that I discount the theories/concepts listed, but I was hoping that the transformation would take in to account, most of us don't have the flexibility in our schedule that Mark seems to have. As for the diet, I didn't find it to hard to make the adjustment, but it does take some focus and discipline to maintain. I will definitely try to keep the principles of this book, but the execution will likely adjust to my current reality.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 6, 2012 11:44:01 AM PST
Always do your best regardless of the situation you're in. No excuses. Believe in yourself or fake it until you make it. Without knowing you, reviewer, I have an idea that you can do better if you only thoroughly commit yourself. The best of luck to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 10:23:03 AM PST
akaGaGa says:
No excuses? Get real. We can't all live on the beach, and this person explains it quite clearly.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 10:35:29 PM PDT
V. Rivera says:
it's not that we can't do it. it's that we just don't want to leave our comfort zone. just surviving is automatic, making changes that benefit us, those have to be generated.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2012 12:08:13 PM PDT
J. Sullivan says:
So don't work out at the beach. Do the same plan but in the woods, pounding the pavement in the city, or roll around in a cornfield. Could you take it any more literally? Do you honestly believe that the workout plan only works for people with access to a beach?

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 8:15:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 12, 2012 8:18:29 AM PDT
P. P. Das says:
I think you have a very good point. Most authors have grandiose ideas about how to transform your body and mind but those ideas are never in place for an ordinary 9am-5pm mortals to follow even if you are relatively aware and dedicated. As an example, on the internet almost every health guru talks about having 5-6 small meals a day starting with a hearty breakfast, a mid morning snack a lettuce salad for lunch with a piece of chicken breast bla bla bla... How on earth can anyone adhere to such a lifestyle unless he lives on dole money and cook meals for yourself at home.
I have followed Mark's concepts and read his website thoroughly and its a fabulous concept and makes a lot of sense and I have indeed followed some of his ideas. As with Bob, I just hope he enlightens me with ideas to follow them around my lifestyle - wake up 6 am, 8 am drop kids to nursery, 9 am on office chair, 1 pm lunch when you hardly have time for a sandwich - etc.

Posted on May 22, 2012 12:08:40 PM PDT
This guy has every right to his own opinion. If you don't like it write your own review.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 5:07:17 PM PDT
Actually, part of the primal blueprint is to reduce your dependency on frequent/regular meals and engage in intermittent fasting - once you get through the initial carbohydrate dependence, making it through a work day with only light snacks or a moderate lunch should be no problem.

While it's true that Sisson obviously has much more leisure time than most of us can afford, the book is still an extremely valuable resource for those wanting to do the very best for themselves within the limitations of their circumstances (as one commenter said, if you don't have a beach, visit a forest!) While it's unfortunate that so many people are unable to wake blissfully with the sun, it's important to take the ideal into account when finding alternative - like maybe getting to bed earlier, or skipping that hour of tv before bed and reading a book instead. There is always a way to improve your lifestyle and take better care of yourself. you just need to find a balance of how much additional effort, expense, or inconvenience it's worth to be healthy and feel good. For most primal/paleo enthusiasts, the inconvenience is totally worth it - you look and feel amazing, and many of us find it hard to keep our mouths shut when we see others holding themselves back (which is why you'll see such strong reactions to comments like this all over the internet).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 1:20:04 PM PST
It's not about living on the beach. It's about making changes in our lives that are consistent with how humans lived before we became dependent on Big Agriculture and Big Pharmacy. The changes that the author recommends I can make and I live in Kansas. The closest I get to the beach is when the Arkansas City River is low and a sand bar appears. It excluding grains, increasing protein, using your own body weight to gain lean muscle and moderate cardio that does not put a lot of stress on the body. If it is important to you, then you will find away to make it happen. Take what works for you and leave the rest behind.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:29:09 AM PST
Everyone has the ability to transform their lives. Sisson simply gives those who are willing some guidelines. I have been on the path of implementing many of the principles outlined in the books and they require work. A lot of work. Hard work = reward. He doesnt say "I have an easy answer to health that requires no work." He has easy answers, but they require great changes in our current way of living to realize the benefits. The only way that you cannot do something is when you think that you cannot. Thats what limits people and keeps them in lives filled with unhappiness and unhealthiness.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2013 6:24:54 PM PDT