1.0 out of 5 stars Not enough belt loops!, June 18, 2006
For as far back as I can remember, I have been a loyal Levi Strauss customer. I never understood why anyone would buy blue jeans from anyone else, but today I am questioning that loyalty.

As a result of some successful changes in my diet, my old blue jeans have become too large for me, so I purchased 2 new pairs of 505 jeans and a new pair of 505 shorts. I have noticed myself hitching up my newer, snugger jeans more often than my older, looser jeans. This afternoon, I specifically noticed that my shorts kept slipping under my belt--as though they didn't have enough belt loops.

This evening I compared my new jeans with my old jeans, and lo and behold, I discovered that Levis have gone from 7 belt loops to 5. Five belt loops aren't enough.

The other posts I have seen about this product are focused on globalization-related issues. I, too, hate to see American jobs move overseas, but this particular problem has nothing to do with country of origin. Regardless of where the jeans were manufactured, Levi Strauss has cheapened the design specification, and they seem to be waiting to see if anyone notices.

Dear Levi Strauss:

I noticed. Your product is not as good as it used to be.

I can't remember being this upset about a product change since the introduction of "New Coke." I don't drink much Coca Cola any more. (That may be part of the reason I need smaller jeans!)

Please put back the missing belt loops.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 11, 2007 7:48:13 PM PDT
LOL but two more belt loops equals that much more material and time to be added to the price of the garments! - money is more important than great jeans anymore - just get the product out and we'll rest on our laurels until things REALLY get bad - then we'll go down to FOUR belt loops.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2008 6:18:01 PM PDT
Jeff T says:
What does it cost in time and materials for the two belt loops Levi's removed, 50 cents? If they were smart, they'd promote it as a time-saving measure: "Thread your belt faster!! 29% fewer belt loops to deal with!!" There are fundamental princples of physics and physiology. They didn't start out with 7 loops because they had leftover material. After 35+ years of buying only Levi's 501's & 505's, maybe it's time to start looking at other brands (assuming they haven't done the same stupid thing).

Posted on May 5, 2009 8:25:23 AM PDT
I have written to Levi's directly. I prefer having seven belt loops. More than that, I hate that a company that had my trust for more than 40 years just decided to toss it. I'm a guy. I HATE to shop. One of the main values of the 501 brand for me has been that I could walk in without thinking or looking, grab a pair, and know exactly what I was getting. No more. 501 doesn't mean what it used to. I can no longer trust that when I grab a pair of 501's that it means the fit or quality that I had trusted all of these years. Some budget weenie just destroyed an American icon brand to save a few pennies and have chased off the customers of decades. Fools!

Posted on Jun 20, 2009 8:59:30 AM PDT
This change was made about 10 years ago. I was very dissapointed, too.
When I first noticed this, I switched brands.
Consumer Reports did a review/article about jeans back then and pointed out the change.
Levi's now offers a grossly overpriced line of jeans called "Capital E", a reference to the upper case "E" they used to use on their tabs. Even these $130-$180 pants have only 5 loops. You are not mourning alone...

Posted on Nov 14, 2009 11:50:53 AM PST
geppetto says:
Mark and the others are correct. I hope some one at Levi or another manufacturer will correct this.

I am just starting my search, no doupt some one is making such a product

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2010 6:22:42 AM PST
R. Garella says:
After 30 years of Levis, I got a pair of Wranglers, and they were fine. Two pairs later I realized I had switched. Now I know why -- Wranglers have seven belt loops.

Posted on Feb 27, 2010 9:31:47 AM PST
I agree with all that you say. I have been wearing their product for 40 year also. I have been wearing 505s for as long as I can remember. I guess Levis is saving a few pennies in overseas labor, then charging us $45 a pair for their product.. I am looking for other manufacturers that know how to make pants right.

Posted on Aug 4, 2010 9:30:01 AM PDT
DSM says:
A simple internet search shows that you are not alone. People are noticing that Levi's don't last like they used to. Guess what? If you go to Brooks Brothers' website, you will find that they sell "Made in the U.S.A." 501, 505, and 514 Levi's for $150. The only problem is, they're made with imported fabric, so I wonder if the quality really is back. Too bad.

Posted on Sep 6, 2010 12:06:41 PM PDT
G. Powell says:
I fixed the 5 belt loop problem with my last set by cutting off a couple of loops from my previous pair of levis and sewing them on. But yesterday was in need of a new pair and I too went Levi shopping. And it's not just the loops it's the fabric. Feels like tissue paper! That was the final draw. I'm now on the hunt for a decent pair of jeans again. (I had Wranglers back in the 70's that ripped when I put my hands in the pockets, then decided in the mid 90's to give them one more try and they didn't fit worth cr*p. ) I have a long product memory and Levi just burned it's bridges with me.

Posted on Oct 2, 2010 9:13:22 PM PDT
Kodiak Ed says:
When Levis went to 5 loops I went too Lee jeans.....I don't know what they saved by dropping the 2 loops, but I am a "Lee Lover" now and would not go back to Levis even if they went back to seven. Kodiak Ed
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›