Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

1,436 of 1,543 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Here's a tip for stronger coffee, October 10, 2008
This review is from: Keurig 5048 My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter - Old Model (Kitchen)
After reading many reviews about the problems with the My K-Cup and experimenting on my own, I have found an easy solution to the problem of weak coffee using this filter. As others have noted, the water goes through the My K-Cup way too fast as compared to the K-Cups. My solution was to take apart a K-Cup and use the outer plastic shell with the My K-Cup filter. Here's all you need to do:

Take a used K-Cup and cut the top foil off of a K-Cup. Cut the paper filter out of the K-Cup. It's okay not to cut it all the way off of the rim of the K-Cup because you will need to cut the top of the K-Cup (where it gets wider at the top). You need to cut the top of the K-Cup off because you need to fit the K-Cup shell into the My K-Cup holder. Once you slide the bottom shell of the K-Cup into the holder, you can add your coffee into the My K-Cup (tapping or gently pressing the coffee so that it is not loose inside the filter). Then place the My K-Cup filter into the holder and cover as normal. When brewing, the K-Cup shell surrounds the My K-Cup filter and slows down the water by making it pass through the punctured hole that the prepackaged K-Cup normally uses.

The great thing about this is that you can re-use the K-Cup shell that you cut apart over and over so once you have cut one apart you don't have to worry about it again- use the My K-Cup as you normally would.

I'm hoping Keurig will have figured this out in the near future and add a premade piece that is included the My K-Cup, but until then, I have found that this solves the problem of weak coffee.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 102 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 26, 2008 5:47:49 PM PDT
I was thinking about doing that- now I will :) TY

Posted on Nov 29, 2008 8:06:27 AM PST
Pam Dangle says:
I tried this and my k-cup didnt fit all the way inside the filter and I still got gruonds.What did I do wrong??

Posted on Jan 9, 2009 10:15:10 AM PST
Jeffrey G says:
I'm not sure if this is a safe practice (see below) but if you are going to do it....

Just to make the instructions a little clearer for the mechanically dis-inclined:

Take a used K-cup.
Remove the foil top and discard.
Throw away the coffee grounds.
Remove the paper filter, but don't worry about the part pasted near the rim.
Trim off the top 1/3 inch of the K-cup where the ridge encircles the K-cup near the rim.
You should now have a shell of a K-cup with a small hole in the bottom. If there is a loose piece of plastic where the hole was punched, remove this.
Take your grey My K-Cup, and slip the shell inside.
Fill the metal filter, tamping down, and put the metal filter into the shell.
Install the grey lid, and brew as normal.

The brew will be much stronger than that of the regular K-Cup, so you may be able to reduce the amount of coffee.

A caveat: not sure about the plastic and the potential for long-term degradation of the shell and potential release of toxins, so I'd repeat the construction project each week or so until Keurig creates the equivalent insert (hopefully very soon).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2009 3:49:37 PM PST
Pam Dangle says:
ok..I get it now.I was trying to put the k cup shell into the mesh basket not the gray thin.I will try this.

Posted on Mar 5, 2009 10:12:11 PM PST
Works like a charm, your a genius V.G., if the lady with the dunkin donuts coffee is reading this, my coffee came out perfect using this trick!! Try it! ;)

Posted on Mar 6, 2009 11:12:21 AM PST
Tikabear says:
Glad to see this post. I too was trying to find a way to make the coffee stronger while using the My K-Cup. I tried putting coffee grounds inside a tea filter then placing in the basket. The coffee was weak because the water went through the filter too fast. Using your procedure works great! I also found a product called the K-CAP that re-uses the original k-Cup and filter. You remove the wet coffee grounds, rinse the k-Cup (leave the filter in place), allow it to dry. Next you fill the k-cup with your favorite coffee and put the plastic k-cap on. The caps are re-usable.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2009 6:18:59 AM PDT
I tried it. It does make the coffee a little stronger, but not strong enough. Returning

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2009 10:45:06 AM PDT
Green Mountain Coffee claims that K Cups have no BPA: http://www.greenmountaincoffee.com/en/sitecore/content/Global/Help%20Pages/Brewers/K-Cup%20BPA.aspx

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2009 8:21:47 AM PDT
L. Hearn says:
Thanks for the easy to follow directions. This works great! Now I have a few options for using my Kcups. I can use the plastic under the metal filter, as you suggest, or just cut off the rim of an old Kcup and utilize the shell and paper filter instead of the metal filter.

If you use the old plastic and paper shell, minus the rim, be careful not to cut off too much of the plastic. Ensure that the paper filter remains glued to the plastic. Otherwise, you will probably get grounds in your coffee. Don't use the metal filter at all if you do it this way.

Some people don't like the permanent metal filters because they do tend to brew a weaker cup. But all of these ways work for me and it was really easy. Don't be shy!

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 5:16:57 PM PDT
J. Meidinger says:
Excellent fix. Thank you so much for sharing it. I am returned to coffee bliss....
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›