3.0 out of 5 stars What is becoming of Usher?, June 14, 2012
This review is from: Looking 4 Myself (Deluxe Version) (MP3 Music)
What has become of arguably the face of modern RnB?

What began with the all the lame pop beats spearheaded by O.M.G. is just permeating his albums. From a man who used to have less than 3 throwaway tracks on each album it is quite distressing to only like 5 of 18 songs on an album.

That said this album is very heavily influenced by the current dub-step that seems to be invading all the clubs currently and the only track that doesn't suffer for it is "I Care" as usher manages to stay in the realm of RnB by slowing the tempo to a speed that allows him to remind us that "Hey... I can still sing without falsetto!" "Climax" is in my opinion the better of the two singles, "Scream" being the obligatory club anthem, which at least doesn't comment on a woman's "boobies" this time. "Lemme See" is the third of my favorites from the album, staying to the true theme of RnB which is getting women in the sack I only wish usher had written another verse rather than getting a guest appearance from the out of place Rick Ross, this token braggadocios verse is not one of Ross' finest guest appearances. Usher sings a very self reflective track very reminiscent of Confessions era Usher on "What Happened To U" where he looks back on getting wrapped on his career while missing out on a personal connection. And the final quality track is only on the deluxe edition track 17 "2nd Round" a very classic "girl in every port" song, another staple of the genre, but Usher always pulls them off with such precision and dignity.

Other than those, there were 6 tracks: "Drive", "I.F.U.", "Lessons For The Lover", "Looking 4 Myself"(strangely reminds me of the Police), "Scream" and "Sins Of My Father"(superbly written, executed with great mediocrity) that left me with a massive feeling of "Eh..."; songs I wouldn't be compelled to change if I had my music on random, but I wouldn't bump on repeat through town. The rest range from the extremely club pop "Can't Stop Won't Stop" to the Neptunes produced 60s pop backdrop of "Twisted".

Bottom line, if you like Usher for his artistry you might just want to buy the tracks you like, but if you like pop/club music you will likely think this is his best album yet.

I give it 3/5 objectively, but as an Usher fan since 1997 this feels like a 1/5.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 15, 2012 2:53:11 PM PDT
Jahmal4ever says:
Not everyone liked the R&B Usher, I like POP Usher, he is keeping up with the time like he is supposed to.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 11:16:58 AM PDT
pinknblu says:
THIS CD IS OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your REview is stuck off the planet, somewhere!!

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 6:21:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2012 6:23:54 AM PDT
T. says:
I agree with your review. I'm only into Pop music if it's done EXTREMELY well... This wasn't in my opinion and that could be because I was expecting R and B because it was Usher... I just wasn't feeling it. I think maybe he's trying to appeal to a different crowd but he's going to end up losing the fan base he had if he keeps this up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 11:23:10 AM PDT
Jahmal4ever says:
If he loses his original fan base they need to go. His original fan base must be one sided and only like R&B, which is not doing well on the charts lately. Usher is trying to make money not please everyone.

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 7:01:48 AM PDT
NPMusicman says:
The true theme of R&B is gettin women in the sack... Your review loses all credibility right there. No wonder I disagree with the review so much. Interesting how you claim to like R&B so much but you don't know what it is. Plus, this is influenced with dance and electronic stuff, but not dubstep. ::sigh:: smh

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 9:28:19 PM PDT
Thanks for the thorough break down of the CD. I would have to agree and truly think that its time for people to start making music again. I am sick of just making some catch tune that will be hot for a month and then never thought of again.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 1:54:59 AM PDT
Fayblac says:
Beatmaster, I found your comment of Usher's CD to be very honest, and well articulated. I myself only like Climax out of the whole album, but I enjoy Usher as an R&B artist.

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 4:41:24 PM PDT
I agree this CD has too Pop for Usher Raymond. Not what his fans expect. Not a totally bad CD just not an Usher R&B CD. His voice is still on point, but the music and beats are overly pop.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 10:29:34 PM PDT
B. Hines says:
Yeah I was a little disappointed, not a memorable album at all, next year no one will even knew it existed, I liked one song "What happened to you" I think you were nice to give it 3 stars, hes a much deeper artist than this. In my opinion maybe he should continue to "Look for himself". Simply generic regurgitation.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 10:37:02 PM PDT
B. Hines says:
Your absolutely right and thats the problem with the music industry, trying make money, and losing the "soul", the heart of its content, and simply trying to keep you dancing and not feeling. Thank God for the underground scene.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (137 customer reviews)

Out of stock