5.0 out of 5 stars Best in Class Warranty, May 23, 2011
This review is from: AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Laptops 13 Inches and Below (NEWEST VERSION) (Personal Computers)
Considering a laptop costs anywhere from $900 and up, the price for extending the coverage to an additional 2 years with 3 years of total coverage from the date of purchase is a great deal. I purchased a Refurbished MacBook Pro and while traveling to Costa Rica had the unit fail completely (logic board). I took it to an Apple Store and in 5 days, the unit was fully repaired and is, actually, a new laptop.

Likewise, I purchased a MacBook 13" for my daughter a few years ago and her computer had problems as well. Likewise, her unit was completely repaired under the extended warranty. I have friends with similar circumstances over the years and never have I heard a negative comment regarding the service.

The phone service is equally impressive, having called in both instances to see if the problems could be resolved via special instruction from a rep. I find it very hard to believe anyone will have any trouble getting the best service available with these extended warranties.

Laptops are portable units that are likely going to test gravity a few times in their lifespan. Not purchasing an extended warranty is rather frivolous, especially considering that it will only add up to a little over a $100 per year for Apple Care Protection. I know my laptop is definitely worth it...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 28, 2011 7:03:30 AM PDT
JB says:
Note that Applecare does not pay for "gravity induced" problems like physical damage or a failed hard drive where there is evidence of physical damage to the computer, even though it the damage was not near the hard drive (from personal experience with Apple).

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 8:28:43 AM PDT
L. Iacono says:
Where there is evidence is the catch phrase here. Most drops are harmless and result in no damage to the outer shell but can cause HD failure, which is not discernible. My daughter's laptop had minor shell damage in her case and Apple repaired the unit without question.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2011 5:49:19 PM PDT
Ana C Moran says:
They are pretty good about repairing anything really. My macbook pro had wine spilled on it and was not working at all and they fixed it without charge under the applecare and basically replaced all the parts on my computer without charge before the warranty was do. They have always been really great!!

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 1:51:07 AM PDT
MarkOfEarth says:
I agree. They are great. I had it on my 13" macbook (2007 version) which bounced out of my open backpack and onto the street while jogging to catch the train. The chassis was chipped and the superdrive slot a little distorted. Amazingly, the computer ran fine for another 18 months before the CD/DVD drive started having problems. They fixed it without questions, touched up the chasis, and later fixed another problem (screen coming loose) probably related to the drop. I'm getting the Applecare again as I now buy the new macbook pro.

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 11:01:39 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 28, 2012 11:04:10 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 11:48:32 PM PST
Music Buff says:
The Apple Salesperson I spoke with stated that Apple Care would not cover any misuse by the customer. The way it was explained to me (and this may be over simplified) was that Apple has a universal database they maintain for part failures due to probable Apple design flaws. The higher the number of incidences, the higher the probability it could be an Apple design problem. All techs provide input to this database and in turn use this to determine the probable cause of a problem when a defective unit is brought in for repair. This database is what they use to determine what is covered under Apple Care and what is not covered. I was told outright that if it was dropped, it wouldn't be covered. Maybe they are getting more strict on their Apple Care coverage or maybe I should have purchased in a different Apple Store!

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 1:39:45 PM PDT
My Mac book Pro was sent to the apple store to get repaired. I plan to get another one before my warranty for my iphone 4s expired. I also have an Ipad 4th generation. what i would like to know is does the apple care protection plan cover ALL of my apple poducts?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›