43 of 59 people found the following review helpful
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
I totally agree with David Gorley's review of this product. The only thing lacking is more cohesive information on setting it up. After figuring out the firmware upgrade and interpreting the mysterious flashing colors (red, green, orange) from the LED, this thing is really easy to fly for a beginner like me. Things I learned that might help others (not necessarily in this order):
1. Charge the camera using the USB cable plugged into a regular plug socket with an iphone adapter. My PC USB port would not charge it.
2. The GPS mode is great for flying when there is a wind, you have much more control. My experience was in a 10mph breeze where I switched to Attitude mode and lost control so much so that I had to hit the down lever and land it immediately.
3. Wait for the LED to blink only green, before taking off. This means it has recorded its home position and is using the satellites for positioning.
4. Insert the battery in the phantom (after connecting) before trying to put the cable in. Then slide the cable and connector above the battery on the top left side, where you'll see a small cutaway in the battery door frame that allows you to do this. When removing, pull the cable out first. I'm not sure why but several reviews I read say to leave the battery hanging until you have your LED flashing green before you put it in the Phantom.
5. Make your first flight outside, so the Phantom can connect to the satellites. That way you can be sure it is working correctly. You can start it up indoors (after removing the props) to test the motors but there will probably be a lot of red flashes from the Phantom's LED because it can't connect with the satellites.
6. After upgrading the firmware, my controller lost contact with the Phantom. It had defaulted to a PPM controller in the software. I switched it to DBUS and then all was good again.
This thing is fun to fly and the video quality is very good (720p).
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 9, 2014 6:00:56 PM PST
Kevin H. says:
Hi Roger D. I would like to know in what store you bought this Dji Phantom FC40? the camera is inside the box or in a separate box? I mean that in the delivery, get 2 boxes? one with the Dji Phantom and another with the camera? Thanks :D
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2014 12:47:59 PM PST
Roger D. says:
Hi Kevin, I bought it here on Amazon, sold by MSRP, fulfilled by Amazon. The camera did come in a separate box with the frame and dampers. Both came in their own boxes but delivered in the same delivery box.
Posted on Feb 13, 2014 12:59:30 PM PST
Roger D. says:
Update - I've been trying to fly it indoors in a large building. It's much harder than flying outside as the GPS doesn't connect for positioning, so I have to use ATTI mode. The big difference is when you let go of the controls in GPS it stops and hovers without moving, even in the wind. In ATTI, it doesn't stop going in the direction it was traveling when you release the controls. Outside the the wind will take it. You have to constantly use the controls in ATTI mode when inside to fly around objects.
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2014 7:14:33 PM PST
Kevin H. says:
Thanks Roger D!! your answer help me :D!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›