1.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love it..., January 7, 2009
This review is from: VitaClay VF7900-4 Chef Gourmet 8-Cup Rice and Slow Cooker Pro, Brushed Stainless (Kitchen)
I bought the Vitaclay 8 months ago after extensive research. I so wanted to love this rice cooker but it just wasn't in the cards! I wanted a rice cooker that wasn't coated in Teflon and I loved the idea of the clay pot so there was no hesitation about spending $100 on a rice cooker. I used it about 50 times but had to discontinue using it because mold is growing in the clay and I can't get rid of it. I've tried everything and now the mold is growing inside the machine. I take care of my kitchen appliances and take great care in thoroughly cleaning and drying them when I'm finished using them so I doubt the mold is a result of misuse or improper care. I had to remove it from my kitchen because it stinks of mildew.

I also wasn't terribly impressed with the quality of the rice it produces. It's pretty inconsistent - sometimes it's mushy and sometimes it's hard. My $10 Rival does a better job.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2009 8:37:57 PM PST
NewsView says:
How long were you leaving the clay pot out to dry and/or do you live in a very humid climate? If the lid is a tight fit and doesn't breath I imagine it could get mildewy if the clay pot were washed and towel dried and then placed back inside. It probably needs to air dry overnight after use due to the pores in the clay not being dried by an external source such as a towel. I would try bleaching it with a drop of liquid bleach or using baking soda and vinegar to disinfect and deodorize it. Then leave it out in the hot sun for a day. If it still smells of mildew put some charcoal inside for a week or so.

Posted on Apr 4, 2010 10:31:43 PM PDT
bobbler says:
I have a clay sprouter, and I put it in the oven every one in a while to to kill any mold/bacteria, etc.. I suspect this rice cooker is the same deal. Also, I leave my clay teapots open a whole day to completely dry out.. I also see to find a rice cooker that does not use a non stick coating, and I expect to take a hit on how well it performs.. But I suspect it can be tweaked to make it work (you have to learn to use any new gadget).. But I have not used this cooker (just commenting on the clay properties I am familiar with)..

bobbler

Posted on Jun 11, 2010 12:46:30 PM PDT
W. Wu says:
I've had similar experience with clay and other materials as the other commenters. Once the pot is thoroughly cleaned, it should be left out in the open for at least an hour or two to let it air dry thoroughly. If there is mold inside of the housing unit, it must be the result of something spilling inside and not getting cleaned up properly. Cleaning with vinegar or bleach should help, as well as the suggestion to leave it out in the sunshine for a few hours. I've had this pot for over 6 months and have had no problem. Also, since the pot and lid are dishwasher safe, they can be "disinfected" that way.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 6:39:04 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 26, 2011 6:40:13 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 6:48:17 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 26, 2011 6:57:21 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 6:58:23 AM PDT
islandee says:
I have used my VitaClay Smart Multicooker - 6 cup for several years now. It works like a charm every time. Mold and mildew have never been a problem.
I believe that many people are not aware of how much moisture is left in the rubber seal ring of the outer closing lid. In addition, the 'dial' on top of the outside lid will also retain quite a bit of moisture inside!
After each use of the clay cooker I wipe down the rubber seal to make sure it is dry.
Then I take off the 'dial' and take it apart, even removing the rubber seal. I hand wash all parts in hot soapy water, including the clay pot and its lid, rinse well and let it air dry before putting it all back together again.
When I store my cooker, I put in a piece of balled up newspaper within the clay pot, then another small piece of newspaper cut out to fit on top of the clay lid before I close the entire unit.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2011 8:56:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2011 8:56:32 AM PDT
bobbler says:
I never had a problem either, but I dry my clay overnight minimum.. When I use it every day I never close the thing up (because natural clay will stay damp even though it looks dry).. So my earlier comment to bake it in the oven is if someone contaminates their pot with mold.. After I rinse, I put the pot sideways in its hole, then there is a place for the lid too (tat allows drying to continue)..
‹ Previous 1 Next ›