5.0 out of 5 stars I am not a brilliant book reviewer..., July 2, 2006
This review is from: I: Reality and Subjectivity (Paperback)
I am an atheist objectivist who picked up this book at random in the psychology section of the library when the book I wanted was out. I took it home without even cracking the cover, because the minimalist title intrigued me. I quickly devoured the book like it was a morsel of food to a starving person, despite 'God' being sprinkled through it like salt. Here is how I was affected even before the completion of my first pass:

1) I began letting go of 'mind' and felt lighter as I navigated my complex work environment.

2) I became simply 'the body' and experienced the sensation of walking on air. My entire countenence changed for the positive and I began 'floating' with calm success through otherwise tedious and stressful situations.

3) I began to approach and treat my pets and all human acquaintences as though they were my 'self'. Now, when seek and find 'self' in other's eyes, the feeling between us changes to a calm unity (love). All tension vanishes.

4) It became clear to me that some strange 'enlightening' experiences, such as the day I spontaneously and without warning 'lost God' (abandoned the strict organized religion I grew up in), were not due to the rationality of my mind, but were simply an acknowledgement of truth.

5) I realized that a set of 'rules to live by' I wrote and embraced when I was 22 (and subsequently dismissed as unsophisticated and naive in later years) was actually an awakening to truth.

It may not be possible to fully realize the potential awakenings of this book in the space of a mortal life. I find myself in a 'spiral' reading pattern, reading from beginning to end repeatedly, picking up momentum and comprehension with each revolution. I may never finish.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]