35 of 35 people found the following review helpful
Perfect for Kindle Fire!,
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Arkon Portable Fold-Up Stand for Apple iPad, Galaxy Tab, Kindle Fire, Toshiba, Acer, ASUS, Nook and Other Tablets (IPM-TAB1) (Personal Computers)My favorite accessory purchase for my Kindle Fire! I use it everyday at work - I set my Kindle up and play music through it into a speaker. The stand is small enough to fit into the outside pocket of the Kindle's case, and it's easy to set up. So thankful for this, especially if I'm at a long game of Scrabble or playing other games... the Kindle weighs almost a pound and my arms get tired! Here are my pros and cons for this item:
1) All of the other users are right, there is some awkwardness if you want to keep your Kindle in portrait mode (with plug at bottom) and charge it at the same time. The stand is small and and so does not hold your device very far from the table surface. If you plug the charging cable in at the bottom while it's in portrait mode, you may have to bend the cable it so that it fits, OR set the device at a very severe angle backwards (which makes it almost unusable). The best idea is to keep your device in landscape mode while charging OR turn it upside down in portrait mode aka with plug at TOP (from reading some other users' reviews... I don't think they know that you can flip the Kindle every which way and most apps will adjust and turn to fit). Even with these alternatives, this is still a little annoying for me, as my WordFeud game app (aka Scrabble) ONLY works in portrait mode, and ONLY the portrait mode where the charging plug is on the bottom (doesn't flip around to fit like other apps, sadly).
2) It seems to be made of lightweight and simple plastic. Opening it and closing it daily wears the plastic away very slowly. I'm very curious as to how long it will last me.
1) I searched all around and wasn't able to find a product like this... it doesn't seem to have a competitor, so that made it an easy choice!! All of the other stands I found at the time were large, and I wanted something foldable and portable to bring with me everywhere, since I take my Kindle Fire everywhere.
2) It's SOO customizable!! Landscape or portrait mode, and every possible angle. Very easy to set up and adjust. Seems like it could hold anything with ease.
3) There is soft rubbery cushioning everywhere it's needed on this stand: on the bottom to prevent sliding, on the arm where the back of your device rests, and in the "slits" on the bottom 2 legs where the device rests. Absolutely zero worries about this stand scratching up my Kindle Fire.
P.S. I have a silicone cover on my Kindle Fire and no issues whatsoever, still fits just fine. This stand is a CHAMP, especially at this price! I would recommend this to anyone that owns or uses a tablet.
UPDATE 08/17/2012: The stand is STILL going strong, even with my daily use! No indication of wear at all... this thing is great. I recently travelled to Egypt, and had preloaded my Kindle Fire with all kinds of movies to watch. This stand was wonderful on the long plane ride - it packed down very small in my purse, set up in 2 seconds, and it sat perfectly on the plane's fold-down tray and never budged thanks to the rubbery cushioning on the bottom. It's nice to have for travelling.