5.0 out of 5 stars A Little Hunger is Healthy? A Revoluntionary Concept for Me, August 18, 2013
This review is from: The FastDiet: Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, and Live Longer with the Simple Secret of Intermittent Fasting (Hardcover)
I read this book very carefully, since I was VERY skeptical. I had been adhering to the "Eat 5 or 6 small meals" hype so that I could keep my metabolism in fat burning mode. I see now that that's as big a crock as the whole low fat diet scam of the 90s where I ate disgusting Snackwells cookies and other low fat/high sugar processed junk thinking I was doing myself a favor.

But this book completely convinced me that your body doesn't go into the dreaded starvation mode until you have fasted for days or maybe even weeks. Certainly not after one day of low calorie eating. It's just the opposite. A little hunger puts you into fat-burning mode. And I can tell it's working. I've lost 7 of my EXTREMELY stubborn 15 pounds that I've been trying to lose, in just 3 weeks, and it's not just water weight. My measurements are smaller and people are asking me what my secret is! I have more energy on both fast and feast days, and my stamina us up. My exercise instructor said she was amazed at how much stronger I seem lately.

Because of my new understanding of how hunger affects the body, on my feast days I don't feel like I have to rush to eat right when I'm hungry. I actually like to wait until I have a nice big appetite. The food tastes better, and since I'm only eating 3 times a day I can really enjoy that bigger meal. It fulfills me much more than those diet-y little meals I was eating before. I think that's why I always used to fall off the healthy wagon. I was never really satisfied. Also, I don't stuff my face the way I would before if I got too hungry. Before if I happened to get really hungry, I'd pig out, thinking that I deserved to really go crazy since I hadn't eaten all day. Now I just see getting good and hungry as natural, and then I eat a reasonable amount.

And all the little tips in the book really helped me figure out how to make the fasting days fly by. The way I do it is that I drink coffee (with a little unsweetened almond milk and Splenda), Good Earth Tea (iced), lemon water, fizzy water and maybe chicken broth through out my busiest mornings. Then I have scrambled eggs with cheese at 1:00. A sweet potato with Greek yogurt and salsa at 4. Then I go to bed early. The tip I like best is just reminding myself I can have whatever I want tomorrow. Sounds trite, but it works like a charm. I always think I'm going to have a burrito or a huge take-out spaghetti and meatballs, but when the next day comes, my appetite is so small I don't feel like eating it. I also feel so light and healthy that it doesn't even sound appealing. Last week I did have a big old Panda Express lunch and this week I had the spaghetti, but when I stepped on the scale the next morning I was lighter than ever!

But for me, the best part is that I'm not on this awful diet roller-coaster. I used to be "good" for about 2 or 3 days and then I'd be "bad" and ruin it. Then I'd feel guilty so I'd eat more to make myself feel better, then I'd be good again, only to ruin it... This is no way to live! My feelings of self-worth should not be dependent upon what I eat! This new approach isn't about being good or bad. It's just eating or not eating. It's easy for me to not eat when I only have to do it for one day. I don't feel like I'm being "good." I just feel like I'm doing something good for my body. And the next day when I indulge- if I even do, I feel like it's all part of my healthy plan. I just know that this is something I can do forever. I actually look forward to the fasting days as a chance to re-boot. I also like to use the hunger pains to remind me to be live a life of compassion for myself and for others. But that's another story...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 23, 2013 4:40:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2013 4:41:52 PM PDT
CMCM says:
Thanks for the GREAT review. Confirms what I've been thinking as I read the book. I've been doing Atkins because it really is the only diet that has ever worked for me. I'm adding in this approach to speed things up a bit, hopefully. I'll do my review after I've got a month or so of the FastDiet under my belt. Only thing that will be different for me, is that the non-fasting days will be my usual Atkins food and NOT the "eat as I want" approach. I'll add that going into this FastDiet idea from Atkins is extremely easy....I was almost doing this FastDiet concept anyway on a sporadic basis, days here and there just turned out low calorie. Not quite as low as 500 calories, and it didn't happen 2x a week, so being careful with the calories and doing this twice a week will be interesting. Today was actually Fast Day #1 and was a piece of cake!

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 2:50:36 PM PST
This is the best review I've read! Thanks! I've felt too something like compassion or gratitude while on this diet... and that makes me eat less in my feast days... :)

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 1:49:07 PM PST
Wendy says:
I've been on this diet for 5 weeks now and have lost a pound a week! 10 more pounds to go! After Thanksgiving, I lost 2 pounds. It's interesting that since I started this, I have not felt like overeating or overindulging on the non-fast days. I eat what I want and when I go out to dinner I also eat what I want but never in great quantities. I'm 60 years old and have had a hard time losing the bit of extra weight because of the change in metabolism. However, this is working like a charm. And the added bonus is that I feel more positive and upbeat. The first couple of weeks were difficult but now I'm getting used to it. It's definitely worth a try!

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 3:34:12 PM PST
Rachel says:
UPDATE: It has been almost 5 months now. I've lost the full 15lbs I wanted to lose and kept it off for a month. Now that the holidays are here I'm so happy to have this plan in place. Other people are going off their diets, but I happily enjoy my festive treats knowing the next day I can just fast. I don't feel like I need to pig out or deprive myself. I feel completely in control for the first time!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2013 9:34:39 AM PST
Wendy says:
Yes! That's what I love about this plan!

Posted on Aug 17, 2014 5:40:31 AM PDT
Lisa MV says:
Hi Rachel, thanks so much for the honest & personal review. I just wanted to suggest you drop "splenda" from your diet, since "it is a chlorinated artificial sweetener in line with aspartame and saccharin, and with detrimental health effects" (look it up on Mercola). BUT! do you know about xylitol? Hard to spell, but quite yummy, tastes just like sugar, and is GOOD for you! Good for your teeth, and actually helps bone strength, which we women need especially. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2014 8:56:25 PM PDT
Fort Worth 2 says:
Deos this book have recpies or meal plans? Is it necessary to also purchase the bookbook, or is there enough in this book to work with? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2014 10:07:12 PM PDT
Hi!
I'm curious if you ever did try this diet with the Atkins plan and how that worked for you. Did you ever post that information? Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›