1,098 of 1,130 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great all around player(review with light "test" info, and 6 month update), March 31, 2012
This review is from: Sony BDP-S590 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi (Black) (2012 Model) (Electronics)
[added a "6 moths later update at the end]
This isn't a super in depth review, but will give you more info that most will in a fairly brief summary:

First off, I am a Sony TV guy who bought TWO Panasonic Blu-Ray players last year due to their seeming superiority(reviews, pro and online stores).

First step for any modern electronic device, update your firmware. My initial update took over 5 minutes. I also recommend registering at internet.sony.tv as in the past some Sony products won't connect to certain services until you do. I connected to AmazonVideo on Demand and Netflix, BEFORE I registered it, so they may have responded to complaints and dropped the requirement, but incase there is a service that require it get it out of the way, it only takes a minute if you have a Sony account already

Netflix app(they upgraded! Sony fans rejoice!):
One glaring fault with (past/pre-2012?) Sony visual products is their Netflix app, as for years Sony decided to have a proprietary interface, and if you have researched it, a LOT of people had Netflix streaming issues. I guess Sony finally took note, as the new interface is like a across between the Wii interface and the Panasonic interface, as in it looks like you avgerage Netflix app now. I watched the Norwegian film TrollHunters, and it took about 15-20 seconds to load the movie, 10 seconds for the Netflix stream to stabilize to the bandwidth( this is mostly on Netflix's end I believe), with the unit 10 feet from my router. For the entire movie, it never reloaded or refreshed, or froze, and was in 1080 with 5.1 sound. I also paused the movie and rewound several times with no reload or delay. Truly the smoothest Netflix experience I have had yet on any of my devices. If your getting the S590 I assume this will be important to you. And yes, it has a dedicated Netflix button, and the app loads faster than my Wii or Panasonic Blu Ray players, and my Sony TV's, so I assume they have "fixed" it, but I haven't done a lot of viewing yet.

Blu Ray performance:
Another reviewer said it won't play Disney movies, but I didn't have a problem, more later. First I put in the Star Trek (2009) Blu Ray, which has great visual beginning. I didn't have any performance issues that I could tell, and the menus are VERY fast and responsive, almost to a fault as there was a bit of shutter on the pop up menu, but unless you watch the movie with the pop up constantly going up and down I don't see this as a big issue. It was roughly 30 seconds from hitting the eject button to close the tray to the Paramount intro screen going, not bad.

I then tried a 3D Disney Blu Ray (Tangeled, a true Disney made film), as one reviewer had said Disney BR does not work. Seeing as how this player is VERY new( a few weeks to a month on market), My guess is there was a firmware issue, disc issue, or user issue. That said, Tangeled played flawlessly in 3D as I skipped around chapters trying to cause an issue, but it all worked great.

Also, this player, in my opinion, works very fast when skipping chapters or loading a scene from menu, where some playera seem to pause or lag. It was also quick to fast foward and "rewind", with little to no pause when hitting the button. A noticeable leap over my 2011 model panasonic bdt-220.

Network set-up:
As usual for modern Sony products, if you have a WPS router, took roughly 2 minutes, from the time I started the set up on the TV, walked to my router in the next room and hit the WPS button, and then walked backed to tell the TV to begin connecting.

The Media Remote app for Android worked very well, but you must first go to the settings menu on the TV and scroll down to the Media remote section, and "register"(aka activate, a button push) the feature(an unnecessary step IMO but I guess they are worried about people with an unprotected router have their TV taken over by pranksters?).

Now some people are complaining about build quality. It's true it doesn't feel as sturdy at the Panasonic Players I bought last year, but is by no means flimsy. Unless you are planning on dropping it regularly, or letting your dog chew on it, I don't see a problem with this. It does look nice, with a brushed metal "look" on the case.

As with seemlingly EVERY Blu Ray player, it does not come with an HDMI(which baffles me, it isnt expensive to make a high quality HDMI cable, don't get fooled by the HDMI cable prices).

6-Month Update
I have now owned this product for 6 months. If I were to again compare it to the Panasonic's , although they are a generation older, the Sony absolutely blows them away. It loads movies faster, it streams Hulu and Netflix faster, it updates firmware MUCH faster, and I have not had any streaming or Blu Ray video problems at all.

I have encountered one issue, but won't change my rating. On Fast Boot mode, while the boot is nearly instant, I did encounter an odd issue where it boots itself. If you have your TV HDMI control function, it will turn on the TV also. It's a bit unnerving when you are asleep and you are awoken by your TV turning on and seeing a Main menu. This COULD be an HDMI control issue with my TV though. There are two ways to solve it: Turn off fast boot(it's still much faster than most Blu Ray players), or turn off HDMI control so it can't turn on your TV itself. Also, while some Sony TV's do not, this player will also auto zoom/strech the screen when you are watching a 4:3 format video on netflix, to fit your widescreen, so there aren't any bars on the side. I know many people want to use every inch of their TV screen.

Also, Sony has been fairly quick lately to keep the Internet Video Apps up to date/ recent versions, So no TiVo-style glacier slow Internet Application User Interface updates to worry about.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 14 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 1, 2012 10:49:24 AM PDT
JB says:
Nice review! The early feedback suggests the S590 functions well and has a good feature set. I just couldn't get past the aesthetics of the player.

I think almost all blu-ray players today use cheap, flimsy material.

I've order a OPPO BDP-93 player. "They" (if they can be believed) say it's very well constructed, plays almost anything you can throw at it, does a heroic job of upconverting DVDs (which is said to be actually noticeable compared to the garden variety players) and is supported with outstanding customer service. Its media streaming is limited but it does has Netflix and VUDU which are the only two musts for me.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 8:56:50 AM PDT
Adrian says:
If you want the HDMI cable included, then opt for the BX59. Exactly the same as the s590, but just includes a HDMI cable. You can find them at places like Costco.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 8:58:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2012 8:58:59 AM PDT
Adrian says:
The problem with the oppo 93 when it comes to streaming is ... it only supports 720p netflix streams, where as the Sony S590 supports 1080p with Dolby Digital Plus audio. The Sony also supports HULU and Amazon VOD, which aren't even available on the Oppo. Its time for Oppo to release a new player to address these shortcomings.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2012 5:19:13 PM PDT
JB says:
Well, Netflix's strength is its vast content and value quotient and not its picture and audio quality.

And I think Amazon VOD is archaic but no one is going to point that out since Amazon is the 500 pound gorilla in the room. I'm not much of a consumer of current television shows (Mad Men being an exception) so I'm not high on Hulu Plus. VUDU is the service I really cherish with its near like blu-ray video and audio quality.

So I understand your point Adrian but for my priorities the oppo 93 suffices my media streaming needs. I hear that the oppo 93 now has ver. 2.1 of Netflix. And I will really appreciate it's built quality. I'm really looking forward to how well the oppo 93 upconverts regular DVDs. Like many others, I do have a stash of DVDs.

By the way, I have received my oppo 93 and it's indeed built like a tank. I'm going to wait till my LG 60PM9700 arrives before setting up the oppo player.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 4:53:37 PM PDT
Old and Wise says:
Great review- very complete and to the point. Thank you 6er!

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 3:14:29 PM PDT
K595 says:
Does anyone know if the Netflix App. in this Sony model supports the subtitles?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 1:40:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2012 1:43:35 PM PDT
JES says:
Yes, it does support subtitles on Netflix streaming. So far, the various movies I have checked, including one from the 50's had subtitles available through streaming. I am not sure if they ALL do but the ones I have checked do.

Posted on May 10, 2012 5:07:08 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 9, 2012 9:31:38 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 12:12:24 PM PDT
KP says:
Thanks for a detailed review!

By any chance have you tried playing different file formats and containers (avi, mpeg, mkv, xvid etc) over wi-fi/dlna? Does the player support streaming such files?

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 5:46:33 PM PDT
Good review. Perhaps you can answer a question. I cannot seem to find out if this unit supports CC on Netflix. Have you tried this? Does it support it?
Many thanks.