5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera for the price, April 12, 2011
This review is from: Canon Powershot A1200 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom (Black) (Camera)
I bought the Canon A1200 because I wanted a small point and shoot that I could take everywhere with me. Other selling points were the optical viewfinder which I don't really use much, as well as the AA batteries. I use Sanyo Eneloops in this camera and they work great. I don't know how many pictures I can take with them on a single charge because I end up recharging them before they die completely.

The biggest surprise for me has been how well this camera does in low lighting. I have sometimes had trouble with getting good exposures in the dim lighting in my house but not with this camera. The sensor seems to be tuned for low light performance and it is a consistent performer for birthday parties or just taking snapshots of my kids.

I uploaded a few of the artistic shots I've made with this camera and I can say that the A1200 has exceeded all of my expectations for a point and shoot camera at this price range. It is a great performer and with a little effort it will take great images. I've messed around with some of the preset options and they help a little bit, but the auto setting works well if you don't want to fiddle with things. Also, the Discreet Mode is great! I accidentally took a picture with auto-flash and interrupted a speaker, so now I always use this mode to disable the focus light and flash when needed.

On a final note, I bought a Lowepro Volta case and it's a perfect fit, though there is no room for spare batteries. I just wanted a slim package that I can fit in my pocket. It's a bit bulky but not an inconvenience. I highly recommend this camera if you are on a budget and want a solid performer at the hundred dollar price range.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 2, 2011 5:54:05 PM PDT
Blair says:
Great review. Very helpful!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2011 12:10:31 PM PDT
Mary Davis says:
I bought it because of this review mentioning it did well in low light. I have another Canon Powershot A630 which does fantastic in low light too, but I wanted a smaller camera for my purse. I have a low light living room 15x30, and this camera does as well as the A630. It lights up the whole room and the people at the other end. I am just a casual photo taker, and this fits my needs very well and takes great outdoor shots too. The other day, I was glad it had a view finder outdoors because the sun washed out the LCD. I ordered it from Amazon thinking if it didn't do well in low light, I would send it back. There is no way I am going to send this camera back. Hope it lasts forever. I'm glad the reviewer mentioned that it did well in low light.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 10:55:04 AM PST
Craig Arno says:
Can you share how much time between turn-on and picture taking? Some of my other cameras take almost 1/2 minute to turn on and the event I wanted to capture is long gone. I'd like to just pull it out of my pocket and fairly immediately shoot, the way we used to do with film. It would be nice if manufacturers could provide turn-on time in their specifications. I really like; AA batteries (I also use 2000mAH Eneloop NiMH), 720p H.264 monaural, SDHC, small size. I also use 32GB SDHC Class 10 cards, and wonder if this larger memory size will affect turn-on times? I should also add, I'm very happy with "smart charger" Targus Digital TG-LCD2700 AA/AAA Charger with LCD Display with 4 AA 2500 mAh Batteries to charge the Eneloop batteries.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 12:26:07 PM PST
Mary Davis says:
I just tried mine and I counted 1, 2, and on 3, I could take a picture. I have a 4 gb SD card. It doesn't say anything else. Some cards say it they are fast. I want to go back to 2 gb cards because if the card fails, you don't lose that many pictures. I save them right away on my computer, but always like them on the card too. I think your card is holding up the start time. Look for one that says high speed or try a 2 or 4 gb card. I am no camera expert, but I had heard that the faster cards allow you to take pictures faster too. I love this camera. Hope it lasts a long long time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 1:25:57 PM PST
Craig Arno says:
Thank you for such a quick response. 3-4 seconds for turn on is acceptable to me. From your message I now also know if I have worse response times to try smaller card(s).

Class 10 is about the fastest card available (look for the 'C' with a 2/4/6/8/10 in the middle), so if it slows, I'll suspect a "file system" check at turn-on. I typically rotate cards and rechargeable batteries out of my camera as needed or every day or two and try to back up same to my notebook computer. Loss due to theft is also more a problem than failure at some travel destinations (either results in loss of pictures). The extra storage on the card lets me shoot as much video as I want without worrying about a full card (720p chews it up quickly). I had 4 of these 32GB Class 10 cards in my pocket along with a two spare sets of AA's on a recent trip to Australia. The Canon A1200 looks handier than what I took with me. I didn't want a full card or dead batteries preventing me from recording some spectacular part of a trip of a lifetime!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 1:38:39 PM PST
Mary Davis says:
I never have done video, so never tried any bigger cards. I'll look next time to see what different cards there are so I'll know what I might need. I don't know if they would slow the camera down or not. I can only say what happens when I use my plain 4 gb card. I can see too that you have a totally different use for a camera. I just take family shots and a few landscapes. Works well for me, but wouldn't be able to say if it would work for your needs. Maybe the bigger expensive cameras handle cards differently too...my little Canons start right up with the 4gbs.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 10:24:18 PM PST
nutmixE says:
I personally use Sanyo Eneloops for some of my various needs, (particularly for my xbox 360 controllers and portable lights). I've read reviews on Sanyo Eneloop batteries and they seem great for use in cameras and photography. I'm considering buying this camera and should I buy this camera or any other camera, I'm definitely using Sanyo Eneloops batteries for mine.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (367 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $41.98