1.0 out of 5 stars New Klean Kanteed, Not LIke the Old Klean Kanteen, April 12, 2010
I first bought a Klean Kanteen in 2005. It was all it was cracked up to be. Sturdy, but light, water did not pick up a metal taste, it was easy to clean, and never leaked.

In early 2010, I decided to spring for a second bottle -- smaller this time, and with a nice painted color finish (not available when I got my first KK in 2005). Immediately upon receiving it, I could tell something was different. It felt thinner -- cheaper. Sure enough, I could squeeze the neck of the bottle and "squish" in the sides. I tried this with my original bottle. No way! It wasn't budging. I added water and, wow! The water had a terrible metallic taste. I never had this with the original bottle. I washed them both and filled them both from the same water source at the same time. Yup -- metallic taste from the 2010 bottle. No taste from the 2005 bottle. I started to wonder if the materials were the same, so I grabbed a small but powerful refrigerator magnet and tried to stick it to the side of each bottle. Remember, Klean Kanteen claims that the bottles are made of "304 stainless steel which has a low nickel content." (To be exact, 304 Stainless has between 8% and 11% nickel.)

Anyway, anyone with any knowledge of metallurgy knows that a magnet should not stick to 304 stainless steel. And, as expected the magnet does not stick at all to the circa 2005 bottle. But the 2010 bottle, even with the paint on it? The magnetic latched right on, even with the the bottle was turned upside down!

So, this and the metallic taste and the cheap construction leads me to believe that Klean Kanteen is NOT using the materials (304 stainless steel) they claim to use in these bottles. This is a serious accusation and not one I take lightly. But it is a serious concern. KK stakes their claim on providing high quality stainless steel. If they are using another material, they are deceivcing the public by not disclosing this fact.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 29, 2011 11:03:26 AM PST
Robert Mares says:
Great review Steven. Is there any brand that you would suggest instead kk?

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2011 1:10:33 PM PDT
pd says:
I would be very weary about this as it sounds like you received a fake KK. I bought a stainless one from online, brushed finish 27oz and that is sturdy. However, it is magnetic, but only slightly so. I tested this using some neodymium magnets. Even so, It's very heavy duty, as I can't cause any deformation with squeezing. Also, no metallic taste. Seeing as KK was the first and copied frequently, i wouldn't doubt that fake ones are on the market.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2011 8:18:21 PM PDT
Ben Mutuc says:
I just ordered two KK. Hopefully they're not fake.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 5:11:36 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 11, 2012 5:11:56 PM PST]

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 6:01:50 PM PDT
AV 1611 says:
I once called a company (stainless steel pans) after I did the magnet test. They said you have to add the nickel in order for the steel to form properly.
I would say call the company and ask.

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 8:54:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2012 8:55:41 AM PDT
wow...something sure sounds off with what you were sent. I have purchased 2 (one in 2010 and one in 2012) and the bottles are sturdy, no bending anywhere, have dropped MANY times from varying heights onto concrete and never a dent, and no metallic taste. Came across this as I'm getting ready to buy one for my husband since I jacked the original one I bought him.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 1:51:01 AM PDT
M. Tran says:
You probably received a fake KK.

Posted on May 4, 2012 12:34:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2012 12:35:21 AM PDT
Tim Brain says:
If you got a magnetic interaction you have no-nickel stainless (18-0) not 18-8 (8% nickel) as labeled or 18-10. Nickel kills the magnetism.
Likely this company would not stake it's fortunes on mega-obvious deception, you got a knock-off.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 5:00:09 AM PDT
Red says:
If it's true that I got a knockoff, then people should be aware because I bought it here on Amazon.com

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 4:06:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2012 4:07:28 PM PDT
Madbreaks says:
Was it *sold by* Amazon, or a 3rd-party vendor?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›