3.0 out of 5 stars Business as usual..., October 20, 2010
This review is from: Quicken Premier 2011 [Download] [OLD VERSION] (Software Download)
I have a love hate relationship with Quicken. It is a great concept; it is very helpful in managing personal finances and is a program I use daily. I don't buy the upgrades every year, if they can be called upgrades, but the last version I had was Quicken 2006. I held off buying 2010 for a few months knowing 2011's release was around the corner. I learned I don't like not having access to my finances daily. During that time I tried all sorts of other types of financial programs, but none were close to Quicken, which is scary because as much as I like it, the actual program is TERRIBLE - for length of time it has been available. Mint.com(Owned by Intuit/Quicken) was the only program I thought was very good, but it is terrible for investments. Overall, I see very little difference in this version than my 2006 one; clearly there are a few new features but certainly nothing that made me jump up and down. This is pretty amazing considering the price and the 5 version "upgrades" between, but very little has actually improved. Clearly this is the benefit of having a monopoly; you can do virtually nothing for years and still have the best in breed. In 4 days of using Quicken 2011 it has crashed about 4-5 times a day, same old Quicken.

Quicken 2011 is the best personal finance program available, but the lack of innovation and true upgrades is shocking. The graphical displays are very outdated, and I find the lack of being able to increase text size mind boggling. I hope this version holds me over till the long awaited, fabled, complete overhaul. Or maybe a new company will evade being bought out by Intuit and deliver a superior product. I assume the acquisition of Mint by Intuit will start to actually improve Quicken in the next couple of years.

In conclusion, I give Quicken Premier 2011 3 stars, I can't see it being anymore and am baffled by people upgrading from an older version giving it a higher rating.

EDIT 3/12/11 - Upgrades to Quicken 2011 improved stability a couple months after I purchased. I can say this is a Stable program now on my platform. Does not change the rating.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2010 9:17:06 PM PST
Mike M says:
Thanks for this, as a 2008 user, and like you long time Quicken user, I will muddle through 2008 version until they stop supporting again.

Posted on Dec 5, 2010 12:38:03 AM PST
Paul F says:
Thanks for the review. I have 2010 and it's a piece of crap. It still has bugs that have been around for years, as I have continually upgraded from 2003 with the same disappointment at not being fixed. The interface is still non-intuitive and clumsy. By your review, it looks likes 2011 isn't much of an improvement, with the added bonus of more crashes. Oh well, "In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king". I can't believe with all the software engineers being laid off, somebody couldn't come up with something better than this.

Posted on Jan 23, 2011 4:40:51 AM PST
I have Quicken 2009 and your review confirms my suspicions. It is a good program for personal finace like managing a checkbook, but it is not so goog managing investments. As examples, it does not handle it does not handle bond redemptions. I have looked for and tried every method to account for bonds that have matured and the only way to do it is to fudge it using a sale or withdrawal. Another example is try and account for a series EE savings bond. You have to fudge the face value. In fact, it is totally terrible handling bonds. I had hoped that the much expected improvement being advertised in 2011 would be better, but it sounds like it is just a some of the same cosmetics.

Posted on Mar 11, 2011 9:05:01 PM PST
MikeJ says:
I must concur with all the statements that have been made about Quicken. It has known weaknesses that the Quicken help with give you a workaround for, so why don't they fix it. There is no good way to record an exchange of mutual funds among share classes of the same fund. It is even more clumsy if you own that same fund in more than one account. But, there are no alternatives at this point, but upgrading before you have to probably isn't to your advantage.

Posted on Mar 18, 2011 4:28:28 PM PDT
A. Pelkey says:
This person writes:

I don't think this reviewer understands the differences between a web application (mint.com) and a windows application (Quicken). On a web application, you can change the size of fonts because much of the screen layout is designed to 'flow' to accomodate different size screens. On a Windows desktop application, the size of the font is determined primarly by the screen resolution setting. Yes, there is a font size adjustment too, but it really should remain at 'normal' because of other technical reasons I won't get in to.

That said, everything else in the review is consistent with my experience too.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2011 6:52:10 PM PDT
Ser_Renely says:
I am technical, I code, changing the font is not that hard in an application.

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 7:52:52 AM PDT
Pablo Ambram says:
I have Quicken 2011, I don't live in the US so I don't use the Dollar as my currency. I'm very frustrated that the currencies do not update automatically! It's just unacceptable to have to manually enter the exchange rate every other day. Really, it's just a poorly conceived product, and no competitors. The only other competitor was Money until that plug was pulled, I wonder what is going on in this sector...

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 4:17:28 PM PDT
Good Reviews says:
Wow, as a MS Money user (older version, in case they still make it) and long-time TurboTax user, I was looking for something more universal and integratable with TT. I assumed it would be Quicken. After reading these comments, I may hold back from purchasing, much as I hate to wait, until improvements are made. Thanks for taking time to write critiques and comments.

Posted on Apr 13, 2011 11:49:24 AM PDT
I have to totally agree with these comments. The upgrades are not much and the user interface is really dated and weak.. Upgrade only if you must. You can tell this is a slow company and they feel they can stay that way due to lack of competition right now and the fact they created the data format used by the banks to electronically update quicken files. If a major overhaul is not in the works then someone will eventually step up. For those without the need for so much control and detail I think the Manilla.com will be great for them.

Posted on Apr 19, 2011 11:59:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2011 12:01:13 AM PDT
Anonymous says:
Thank you for your completely honest and accurate review! I just shelled out $98 for it at BestBuy and can't say there's much of a difference between this year's version (2011) and the 05 one. Apart from the fact that most of the "improvements" are merely cosmetic, I also see a complete lack of imagination or desire coming from intuit for making Quicken what it could be. I can think of a billion possible improvements off the top of my head w.r.t. providing/facilitating access to investment data, making features more interactive (at least allow us to rearrange the order of indexes & investments etc.), allowing us to breakdown investments per sector, I can go on and on. Maybe someday they'll read our reviews and take them seriously. Though I can imagine myself getting so frustrated that one day I'll take what Quicken considers to be my Net Worth and invest it in some start-up that will topple the industry "giant" by providing us slaves with a more innovative, comprehensive package. Until then I'll keep dreaming.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.8 out of 5 stars (265 customer reviews)

Out of stock