5.0 out of 5 stars POPE BENEDICT XVI speaks out, "YOUCAT", April 11, 2011
This review is from: Youcat (Paperback)
This morning I heard a great interview on EWTN with Ignatius Press, "speaking out" for the new YOUCAT. YOUCAT is short for Youth Catechism of the Catholic Church. Everyone will want to know why YOUCAT is yellow and white. Some may have guessed, "Because it is the color of the Vatican flag!" You would have been correct!

For two years, groups of 50 youth banded together to work on this new Catechism of the Catholic Church for youth, under the direction of Cardinal Christoph Schönborn, Archbishop of Vienna, Austria, who was the editor of Catechism of the Catholic Church. The EWTN interview was exciting for me and, with 15 grandchildren, I hurried to order YOUCAT!

I was happy to see the comments by Pope Benedict XVI on the new YOUCAT. He said much more than the following but here are a few things that are interesting: (my personal comments in the parentheses)

"Today I recommend for your reading an unusual book . . ." (this Pope cares for the youth!)

"Should we not attempt to translate the Catechism of the Catholic Church into the language of young people? Should we not bring its great riches into the world of today's youth?" (YES!!!!)

"Many people say to me: The youth of today are not interested in this. I disagree, and I am certain that I am right. THE YOUTH OF TODAY ARE NOT AS SUPERFICIAL AS SOME THINK. They want to know what life is all about . . ." (this was my personal favorite! POPE BENEDICT XVI has confidence in the youth of today!)

"This book is exciting because it speaks of our own destiny and so deeply engages every one of us. I invite you: Study this Catechism! That is my heartfelt desire."

"This catechism was not written to please you. It will not make life easy for you, because it demands of you a new life." (this was my other personal favorite!)

"It places before you the Gospel message as the "pearl of great value" (Mt 13:45) for which you must give everything."

"So I beg you: Study this Catechism with passion and perseverance. Make a sacrifice of your time for it! Study it in the quiet of your room; read it with a friend; form study groups and networks; share with each other on the Internet. By all means continue to talk with each other about your faith...." (and this was another favorite! "study with passion and perseverance")

"Of course, there are many differences even among the youth of today's world. And so now, under the capable direction of the Archbishop of Vienna, Christoph Cardinal Schoenborn, YOUCAT has been produced for young people. I hope that many young people will let themselves be fascinated by this book."

(Added after having time with YOUCAT! It is just terrific. You have to see the inside, read the questions and see the designs on the pages. It is going to be hit. I have been buying it for gifts. Great index! )

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 12, 2011 7:22:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2011 7:16:09 PM PDT
I love this review, consisting as it does almost entirely of quotes about the new Catechism for Youth from Pope Benedict 16. Coincidentally (or maybe not!) I caught a few minutes of the same interview (I was listening to EWTN satellite radio) about the latest offerings from San Francisco-based "Ignatius Press." I didn't catch Fr. Fessio's name. So I'm doubly grateful to read your selected quotes from the 'Holy Father.' I can see why these are your "favorites." In the words of Pope Benedict:

[AND]

"This catechism was not written to please you. It will not make life easy for you, because it demands of you a new life." [ALSO]

"So I beg you: Study this Catechism with passion and perseverance. Make a sacrifice of your time for it! Study it in the quiet of your room; read it with a friend; form study groups and networks; share with each other on the Internet. By all means continue to talk with each other about your faith...." (and this was another favorite!)

Thanks for writing the very first review for this one. Hope it stays in the "spotlight." I'm happy too that you've overtaken me in the "New Reviewer" rankings (of 8.2 million active reviewers) here at the world's biggest website. Based on only 66 reviews that is simply . . . amazing! Keep writing, Terry Fenwick.

Mark B of the (rapidly-melting) North

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2011 8:01:47 AM PDT
Only because of YOU and your votes, I am sure and you are not writing here as much - but you are writing the music man things for your book.

Posted on Apr 13, 2011 6:00:11 PM PDT
R. T. Perry says:

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2011 6:23:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2011 9:56:32 AM PDT
Thank YOU R. T. Perry!  I appreciate this post. All seems to be fixed. They were on it immediately.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2011 10:17:20 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 14, 2011 10:17:38 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 19, 2011 5:46:16 PM PDT
Two questions
1. Exactly how is this different than the Compendium?
2. Will you exchange it when the revised editions come out (since there are errors even in the English)?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2011 3:25:51 AM PDT
Ignatius Press Mark Brumley comment
As you might expect, I am beginning to get media inquiries. What I know about the situation allows me to put things fairly concisely:

1. The English translation of YOUCAT, published by Ignatius Press, does not, of course, endorse contraception but clearly affirms the Church's teaching that contraception is evil

2. The German text upon which we based our translation does not endorse contraception but clearly affirms the Church's teaching that contraception is evil

3. I don't know why the Italian translation reads as it does nor do I know how it came about that it reads as it does, but it should be fixed to reflect, without ambiguity, the Church's teaching that contraception is evil

4. It is my understanding that the Italian text is being fixed

Posted by: Mark Brumley | Tuesday, April 12, 2011 at 06:03 AM

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2011 6:05:50 AM PDT
The Compendium is not a work that stands alone, nor is it intended in any way to replace the Catechism of the Catholic Church: instead, it refers constantly to the Catechism. The Compedium is for all. The Youcat is for Youth and for their needs - the youth were asked to be involved in the preparation as they had ask for such a book. Both the Compendium and the Youcat are based entirely on the Catechism.

Posted on May 7, 2011 7:15:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2011 7:17:12 PM PDT
Ever notice how a good review tends to elicit good comments/questions? Case in point. Especially appreciated your clarification that,

"The Compedium is for all. The Youcat is for Youth and for their needs -- the youth were asked to be involved in the preparation as they had asked for such a book. Both the Compendium and the Youcat are based entirely on the Catechism."

Delighted to see this one's in the "spotlight" collecting well-deserved "helpful" votes . . . in perpetuity!

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2011 7:22:22 PM PDT
I love this book - It is on my book cart and it is terrific. The cartoons in it are worth the book. Both of your grandchildren should have a copy
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (173 customer reviews)

$19.95 $17.96