994 of 1,009 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Superior to "What to Expect...", August 14, 2005
This review is from: Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy (Paperback)
Back when babies were just daydreams, I recieved "What to Expect When You're Expecting" (3rd ed.) from a pregnant friend who had an extra copy. Not knowing any better, I was quite pleased. Once I became pregnant and actually needed a guide, however, that changed. I found the book to be poorly organized, overly conversational and condescending in tone (especially given my plans to be a stay-at-home mom), and generally useless for anything other than instilling fear and paranoia. Most exasperating, though, was the "organization." Symptoms that can arise during varying parts of pregnancy are scattered haphazardly amongst the monthly chapters. This means that the book must be read cover to cover and all material retained in memory if hunting through the index and flipping back and forth between sections doesn't sound appealing.

Enter the "Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy." Hallelujah! Not wanting to suffer through another mediocre guide to pregnancy, I looked through every book I could get my hands on, and this was the only one that satisfied my criteria. It is written by trustworthy professionals in clear yet -professional- language, it provides information on "pregnancy, childbirth and your newborn" in chronological order, and best of all, it contains separate sections entitled, appropriately, "decision guides for pregnancy, childbirth and parenthood," "pregnancy reference guide," and "complications of pregnancy and childbirth," each with a table of contents at the beginning of the section. Instead of having to take a wild guess at which chapter (or, more likely, chapters) cramping might have landed in in "What to Expect" or searching the entire index, I could find it, along with all the other things I might be wondering about, in the reference guide. Blessed simplicity!

The "Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy" was the only book I needed. Once I found it, "What to Expect When You're Expecting" went back on the shelf and stayed there.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 27, 2009 10:12:42 AM PDT
I agree with this wonderful review 100%. Working in healthcare, I see too many pregnant women that are clueless or crazy, and I think books like "What to Expect" are a good part of that - the do instill fear and paranoia WITHOUT being much informational help. I wanted to add that one wonderful feature that I loved about this book (which should be given to EVERY pregnant woman) was within each chapter, there was a list of problems that might occur, and if/when you should see the doctor. Immediately, at next visit, call doctor's office, etc. They really help put pregnancy problems into an accurate perspective, and let you know when you do (or don't) need to panic and rush to the hospital.

Posted on Sep 13, 2009 9:54:31 AM PDT
I completely agree with your review of "What to Expect". I could not for the life of me figure out what the fuss was about with that book! It had very few, if any scientific explanations of what your body is going through and WHY it was occurring. Luckily, I borrowed the book from a friend and did not purchase it and am ecstatic that the Mayo clinic has a guide to pregnancy. Thank you for your review and this book is now going directly into my cart!

Posted on Jan 14, 2011 3:28:52 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Apr 10, 2011 1:21:58 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 7:09:39 PM PDT
I agree with you and thought the same, but had doubts at first because there were so many good reviews about "what to expect". There was at first a sense of professionalism, and a poor attempt of being funny by saying random things like "baby making machine", that make me take the book/writing less and less seriously!

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:00:43 AM PDT
I couldn't agree more with this review. I bought "What to Expect..." as soon as we found out I was pregnant and was quickly disappointed by the tone and organization of the book. The book went in the recycle bin not long after my purchase. I didn't even want to sell or return it and have it fall into the hands of another expectant parent.

The "Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy" has been a reliable and pragmatic source for information about pregnancy. While it addresses complications and concerns that may arise, it is not presented in a way that makes you feel as though pregnancy should be 40 weeks of constant worrying. Although I am only 29 weeks, I appreciate that this book goes beyond pregnancy with information on bringing baby home as well as breastfeeding.

I have been very satisfied with this book and look forward to reading the "Mayo Clinic Guide to your Baby's First Year."
‹ Previous 1 Next ›