3.0 out of 5 stars WED is too dark by default, loses lots of detail, June 11, 2010
This review is from: Kelly's Heroes / Where Eagles Dare (Action Double Feature) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I bought this Blu-ray for Where Eagles Dare, and had hopes for an improvement over the DVD version, which was already pretty good. Sadly, during the transfer the brightness was turned down so low that much of the image is now lost in the shadows. For example, many scenes are now so dark that you can't see the actor's faces. In other cases, big items (like airplanes) are lost in the darkness of the mountain backgrounds. This was not a problem on the DVD version. It's especially regrettable since in the brighter scenes, the blu-ray does offer a sharp image. I can only wonder if the person doing the transfer actually looked at the results. (Note that another reviewer feels the brighter DVD image was a problem, and the darker blu-ray is more faithful to the original version shown in theaters 42 years ago. I saw it back then, but make no claims to remember the brigtness level in the theater on that day so long ago. Maybe others have a better ability to remember such things.)

UPDATE 6/18/10: A commenter suggested I try altering my LCD video settings. These settings work well for every other disc I own, plus OTA broadcast and streaming Netflix over Roku, but what the heck, I tried it. I had to choose a setting with very, very high contrast and backlight levels, but it made a real difference. The movie looked a lot better and the details became much more clear. Was the result better than the DVD version (viewed with my regular LCD settings)? To my eye, maybe it's a 5% or 10% improvement. I wonder how or why the default settings are so dim on this BR disc? Another reviewer (on blu-ray.com) had the same experience I did. But I think if you really like the movie, it's probably worth getting the BR disc and turning up the brightness and contrast when you watch it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 14, 2010 4:13:05 PM PDT
Joe Myers says:
I had no problems seeing the detail in actor's faces or objects like planes in the background of mountains. Maybe the settings on your TV are too dark. I think its more faithful due to comments I have read who have seen the film in theaters and looks more correct than the DVD which had faded colors and was too light.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2010 8:38:45 PM PDT
Joe, I updated my review based on your input. Had to turn my LCD brightness and contrast settings way, way up (nearly 100% of capacity), but the movie looked a lot better. Now I just have to remember to turn them back to their original settings when I watch anything else :-) Thanks for the suggestion!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2010 10:54:25 PM PDT
JET70 says:
Thanks for the suggestion. I too think it's very dark compared to other BDs I have. I just set my Sammy to dynamic and it bumped it up enough and gave a nice amount of clarity as well. Amazing difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2011 5:43:58 PM PDT
B. Evans says:
How cool is it when an original poster with a (valid) negative comment, then updates it with new information that is potentially valuable to many others.
Congrats to someone who took the time to help others!

Posted on May 7, 2013 9:20:56 AM PDT
C. A. Luster says:
If you typically don't have to alter your TV settings to watch DVDs and Blu-rays then quite honestly you shouldn't have to for one movie. As for the original in the theaters, I saw it and it was to dark. It was hard to make out a number of things. I don't see any reason to be "faithful" to the idiot that had the brightness to low on the original movie. So I for one want to see a lighter version.

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 1:43:05 AM PDT
So many things you all have that are not here where I live. But I have many movies, now adding blu ray. I now am going to add to my classic war collect, where to start? I am thankful for my 52" Samsung my 1800 movies too. Where would you start? Miss hulu, think that would be nice!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›