1.0 out of 5 stars Not Good, February 24, 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PS3 / PS3 Move Assault Rifle Controller (Video Game)
I don't write many reviews, but right now there are only 3 reviews for this product and 2 of them are (unbelievably) 5 stars. I was moved by CTA's response to the 1 star review (I figured they must really believe in the product if they wanted to address the complaints), so I decided buy this rifle instead of the $30 one. Although not very articulate, the 1 star reviewer is basically correct. The other 2 reviews, especially the "Grand Canyon" reviewer, sound like commercials from people working for CTA.

The plastic feels very cheap. I didn't expect carbon fiber, but for $60, it doesn't have the quality feel of the other PS3 controllers or accessories that I have. My kids toy rifles have a better build quality.

If you want to use the Move Controller (which is basically the point), you connect a side accessory that adds a 2nd trigger, which is a little weird. The two are separated by about 1/2 inch, like old double barrel shotguns, so you can't pull both at the same time, although I guess you wouldn't really want to.

With the Move attached, the "zwink" reviewer is right that it's a very narrow space to then try to use the L1, x, o, triangle and square buttons on the gun (although they are all on the Move controller except for the L1). It basically makes these buttons useless.

The Left thumbstick is on the left side of the barrel, so if the game requires you to move with this (like Dangerous Hunts does), it's impossible to control this and your buttons on the Move Controller (see above) at the same time (ie- can't move and reload, change guns, etc). This wasn't a problem for Killzone 3, because if you use the Move Controller for that game, it lets you use R1 to move your guy (which is where your right thumb is near the trigger).

When I seated the Move Controller completely in the holder, it wouldn't fire at all. I tried this multiple times and finally was able to get it to work by not completely seating it down in the holder and rotating it slightly to one side. Looking at the trigger mechanism, it again looks like poor build quality.

The trigger for the Move Controller is a little sluggish to respond. No big deal with a machine gun, but when you need to fire in rapid succession (Dangerous Hunts and The Shoot both depend on this) it's a significant problem. The Playstation Move - Dual Shot are much more responsive, as is the Move Controller by itself.

It comes with a scope, but you can't even look through it (plastic in the middle). I really don't care, but why put it there if you can't see through it?

It is a plus that you don't have to use Move Navigation Controller because it basically acts like a Dual Shock or Move Navigation Controller. They talk about using it instead of a Dual Shock Controller for shooting games like Call of Duty, etc. I didn't try this (I got too fed up with it), but I really can't picture anyone sitting there going through Black Ops with this thing instead of the regular controller. The lay out and feel of the buttons would make it too difficult to move, aim, and shoot quickly.

The pairing with the PS3 was quick and easy.

It does vibrate and make shooting sounds that you can turn on and off - yeah.

I really don't like bashing someone's product, but on the other hand I don't want anyone else to waste their time and money (although Amazon's return policy is awesome - I have returned it and am going to go with one of the other rifles).

ADDENDUM: You would think that I've got better ways to spend my time, but I went through the reviews for the other CTA PS3 rifles PS3 Assault Rifle Controller and PlayStation Move Submachine Gun and almost all of the 5 star reviews have the same tone ("Awesome," "rocks the house", "best ever")as the ones here, and, similarly, are written by people with only one review in their profile. 2 of the people with multiple reviews ("fat jay" and "dave the maven") have almost all of their reviews for CTA products (surprisingly, all are unequivocally 5 stars).

I don't know why this bothers me, but it does. These are obviously CTA employees (although when others have called them out, they deny it). It's not like we're dealing with physicians, but shouldn't there be some ethics involved? Shouldn't the quality of the products and the independent reviews speak for themselves (which they obviously do if you take out the phony 5 star reviews)? I'm now going to go out of my way to avoid any CTA products in the future. Ironically, looking at the reviewer profiles, I found out that CTA also makes Wii Inflatable Kart - Red, which both of my kids got for Christmas - one never stayed inflated and both had the steering wheels brake off within 2 weeks because of cheap build quality.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 4, 2011 5:42:23 AM PST
thanks for the Great! review, I play KZ2 and getting KZ3 very soon, and some of the people on my PS3 friend list have the move, all seem to have a low opinion with the ruggedness of the rifles and difficulty in using the controls, even the Sony ones, I chuckled when you said the scope has no see thru lol.

when you started to explain the reviews by other people you confirmed to myself what I have been suspecting about alot of reviews on here and other sites, its pandemic and I lose more trust in the honesty of the people trying to sell me stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2011 5:32:50 PM PST
You're welcome.

Posted on Mar 7, 2011 7:18:09 PM PST
Javlin says:
I can't get the built in control to work or the built in buttons. The sound, directional
buttons up down etc. And home button works. Can someone tell me if I'm doing
something wrong? I'm trying to use it with kill zone 3

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2011 7:25:11 PM PST
ctelder says:
I don' know if you're doing anything wrong, but the best advice I can give you is return the gun for a refund and go buy something else.

Posted on Mar 15, 2011 7:40:35 AM PDT
Y. Al-Farra says:
That review cracked me up xD Is the scope really just a dummy ?? Thanks for the review, ill make sure to keep my money in my pocket when facing CTA products

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2011 5:51:51 PM PDT
ctelder says:
Yeah, you really can't see through the scope. Amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2011 3:57:51 PM PDT
sathead3 says:
Thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough review after doing some research on the 5 star posters. Terrific public service :-) Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011 6:26:03 AM PDT
You're welcome.

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 12:05:19 PM PDT
Thank you for your feedback. I was thinking of getting this for my son. I appreciate the fact that you took the time to give an honest review!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011 4:54:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 28, 2011 4:56:52 PM PDT
ctelder says:
You're welcome. I ended up getting the PS3 Move Battle Rifle which is pretty good (not great), and certainly better than this one.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.6 out of 5 stars (38 customer reviews)

Out of stock