Industrial-Sized Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a good solid read because...., September 1, 2012
This review is from: Fallen Masters (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is about the never ending battle between good and evil. I think that many of us populating the planet today have felt as if there has been a shift to the dark side. I know I have, Lying and cheating have become acceptable in a way that perplexes me. Rudeness abounds, as does flat out hatred and violence. Has it always been this way, and we just never realized before access to so much information on the internet? I sincerely don't think so.

I don't want to minimize the cruelties and ugliness that history tells us have occurred. Wars have always been a part of the human experience. The Holocaust, and what happened in North America where a land was ripped from the hands of the native people. Oh yes, evil has always been abundant wherever there were humans. It just seems to me that everyday evil has 'grown. It seems that empathy has diminished. This more than concernes me, it frightens me, more for my children's futures than my own.

This book portrays both a physical and metaphysical picture of the battle between good and evil. A battle fought here on the earthly plain as well as others. The forces of good and evil have made themselves more and more apparent to the characters and attempt to bring certain of them into the fight, to help tip the balance to their individual sides. It gives personality to some of the metaphysical players on each side.

This is a very good story. IT is a good story that is not as well told as it could be. I am a fan of this author, but more for his work as a medium than his work as a writer, I'm afraid. I have read every book he has written. The non-fiction books touched a chord with me that his fiction does not. So taken as a simple story, this leaves some things to be desired, There was no flow for me, it was choppy and somewhat clumsy as it went from one situation and character to the next. Characters that were presented as important, or even essential seemed to fade into the background.

So taken as just a book, a story to be told, I would say that this isn't worth the time it takes to read it. But there is more to it than that. If you take it as a snapshot of the the times, as a philosophical treatise, it takes on a new and different light. I believe that this author has a unique perspective on the times in which we live. I think he has used this perspective to try to remind us of the fact that it is up to us, each one of us, to make what difference we can. Each time we remember to do the right thing, to stay in the light, we make a difference. OF course it isn't easy, especially when se feel the dark and the negative looming so near, but each time we make the right choice, we push that darkness, that evil back. So this is much more than a simple book of fiction, and I had to add that into the many things to be considered when reviewing a book.

This is a good solid read, even if it is more due to the message than the story itself.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 20, 2012 4:49:22 PM PDT
Maasie says:
What an excellent review. I agree for the most part in all however for the choppiness and clumsiness I took a different perspective. To me the author has a very ADD personality ( if I may say that)and when I watch him he seems to be scattered in every direction. In this book I get that same vibe and it is almost exhausting but I did enjoy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 9:54:13 AM PDT
anitaf says:
I agree that this is a good review. John Edwards may be very good at what he does, but it isn't writing fiction. I've seen the same premise handled with much better skill that this book. I certainly didn't find anything new, which was a disappointment.

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 2:12:27 PM PDT
Such a thoughtful review. Thank you. I have decided to order the book and enjoy the message even if I have some reservations about the delivery.

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 6:31:06 PM PDT
Wednesday says:
Good review.... I've been listening to the audiobook trying to decide if I want to spend more time on it. I think I understand the idea but it is a bit clumsy....
so far..... I much prefer his non fiction material.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›