5.0 out of 5 stars FOREVER MARILYN Blu-Ray BOX SET IS STUNNING, July 25, 2012
This review is from: The Forever Marilyn Blu-ray Collection (Blu-ray)
Just got the magnificent FOREVER MARILYN blu-ray dvd set of 7 films yesterday. Very nice box and presentation, with a little booklet of pictures and lines from the films as a keepsake. I must say the films look stunning, particularly 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes'. 'How to Marry a Millionaire' looks extraordinary its its full very widescreen ratio (16:9) and so does 'There's no business like Show Business'. I've watched most big production numbers like 'Heatwave' and 'Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend' again and again, and seeing them on blu ray on my big flat screen HD TV, is like seeing them glisten with real detail, depth and color for the first time. The blacks are black, the whites white, and Marilyn's lips and nails are a real luscious fire engine red. 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes' in (4:3) ratio is glorious, the transfer just sparkles with sheer magic and jumps right out at you. Made just before widescreen became popular, I do believe only one number from the film, 'Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend' was filmed in Cinema-Scope as a test. That would've been nice to see here as an extra, because if any musical number EVER deserves to be seen in widescreen, its that one. The sound (dts-HD) on all films overall is impressive too, clear and crisp, especially through big speakers. The song and dance sequences are breathtaking. Mesmerized I found myself looking at everything technically, the clothes, the sets, the makeup all seemed so perfect as to be surreal. Marilyn is just beautiful, so is Jane and Lauren and Betty too. The awesome technicolor they achieved in the color films here, and the technical excellence will never ever be repeated. The brilliant 'Some Like It Hot' was made for black and white, and as the greatest comedy ever made, it is an absolutely perfect movie. It would've been nice to see as extras long lost cut songs from 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes' especially that 'Paris' number we see in vintage lobby cards, but not in the actual film. Or a new doco for the 50 years since we lost Marilyn perhaps. But we must give thanks for the fine re-mastering of these Marilyn Monroe films for their long awaited blu-ray release. The pristine quality delivered here will keep me happy for a long time. Robert.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 26, 2012 7:51:02 AM PDT
Mr. R. Haden says:
Hello, do you know if these are region free discs ? ( i live in the U.K. ) and don't want to order, to find out they don't play on my Blu Ray player. Thanks for any feedback ? ( Did you order from Amazon.com

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 10:12:05 AM PDT
I bought the blu-ray 7 film set locally here in Melbourne at JB HI FI for $59. Our dollar is a little more than the U.S dollar. JB is online also, but I don't know if they ship out of Australia. I was shocked at how cheap it was, as blu ray box sets here are always dearer, but getting cheaper. Australia, the U.K & Europe are region B for blu ray. . Blu-Ray and normal DVD's zones differ. You can search google for DVD zones. I have seen another set zone free on ebay at twice the price. I always ask the seller about zones, or if they have zone free versions. Robert.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 1:28:34 PM PDT
The U.S. box set packaging is abysmal! Discs shoved into cardboard slots in the two skinny "books" inside the narrow box. No booklet, either. No verbiage of any kind.

I hope the BD transfers measure up to your glowing review, but Fox has come a cropper in the packaging department in the U.S.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 2:04:18 AM PDT
Well you should take all the reviewers into account as mine is just one opinion. The packaging here in Australia is okay and easy to use, no cardboard slots thank goodness. I would buy new empty cases that hold 4 discs if that were the case. I am particular about storing dvd's. Here you get an outer box with two individual DVD cases inside it, one with 4 discs, the other with 3. Each disc has its own circle to sit on with middle dvd holder, one on either side of the plastic 'gate/s' that open out. The clarity watching these films on my 46 inch high definition TV to me is spectacular, compared to the previous normal dvd releases. The color films even more so. I don't always buy blu-ray unless the film is very visual, like a musical, or science fiction, and has been properly re-mastered. The re-mastering of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is exceptional as I've said in my review. Barbarella and The Yellow Submarine are another two new blu-ray releases that look fantastic on blu-ray, as I mentioned. Barbarella had never been re-mastered, and they had the masters to work from. A lot of musicals look fantastic on blu-ray, I hope they do all those Betty Grable & Carmen Miranda movies soon too. Life is too short to wait for anything better than these offerings. A few reviewers left negative reviews because of which films are not in this set. Well that's not what they should be reviewing. They need to realize remastering well takes time, and Bus Stop and others will be released as soon as they're available. Robert.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2012 8:15:23 AM PDT
MsMerising says:
Agreed. I moved back to Sydney after living in the States for 12 years but JB Hi-Fi surprisingly has some great deals going on. On some things you'll be over-charged (e.g. the last Harry Potter film boxed blu-ray cost $130 when I got it in the States for $35 with the collectible book and all) but when I saw this boxset available for $59 I jumped on it. However, I am going through Amazon UK for the Hitchcock Masterpiece and Universal Monsters set dropping in October. Both are region free but I have a multi-region player so I'm okay :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2012 8:17:08 AM PDT
MsMerising says:
Oooh, I saw 'Barbarella' at JB Hi-Fi last week and wanted to replace my DVD version with the Blu-Ray. Does it come with any bonus features? I scanned the back of the cover but saw nada.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2012 5:54:40 PM PDT
No it doesn't, only the trailer sadly. But it is so clear and sharp, and the sound is great. The master they used has given us a stunning blu-ray transfer. Jane Fonda is still going strong and looked great on Letterman and The View recently. So I don't understand why they don't interview her about the making of it, when she was married to the director Roger Vadim. She certainly now speaks more highly of the film than before, realizing its a cult classic.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2012 6:19:49 PM PDT
All my life I have been used to expensive dvd box sets, & books & magazines 3 times the U.S price. And that was 3 times the retail price, not the wholesale price. So really, we have been ripped off for decades, and places like Borders (if there are any left) and the ABC shop should've known better. Bugger them, why should we pay more. DVD's are so cheap in the U.S. And any foreign language dvd's or documentaries here are over $30. Why?.... Because they're 'arty' I suppose. I just can't figure it out. But no more, our dollar has been consistently worth more than the U.S dollar, so I always check prices in the shops, then Ebay and Amazon. Books are cheaper, and so are some dvd's. But still not cheap enough. ( The whole blu-ray region thing is a pain too.)
I buy mostly from overseas, the product they release here is very mainstream still, and we get hardly any classic films on dvd. or box sets of stars like Joan Crawford or Marlene Dietrich. The few we get they repackage over & over. I'm into some pretty obscure titles in films, and we shouldn't be penalized for the lack of product available here. But its slowly improving. Whenever I'm in the States I stock up on classic TV shows on dvd.... most never get released here. If I had to buy only Australian crap, I'd go mental. Our movies are pathetic, and our TV is worse. A few shows here and there, but honestly our culture worships the great Sport God, and the 'Aussie male' mentality is all they cater to. There isn't one movie or doco channel with all the 'free digital channels'. And Foxtel is expensive and full of ads. It will all be direct to the tv with endless choice before long. Oh I did get 21 Hammer Horror films on dvd in the Ultimate Collection, in a black box set on ebay for $55.... a real bargain. All are re-mastered. That was released only in the U.K. Robert.

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 3:39:42 PM PDT
LA MovieGuy says:
Nice review, BUT as so many others I have read, there is no listing of ALL the films in the set. Unfortunately Amazon never lists the titles in these compilations. We all have to guess what we will get and/or depend on folks like you to tell us what's in the box. A nice review of the film's quality but only a few titles were mentioned. Guess I'll have to try to find it on a store shelf and read the contents. Thanks anyway for your comments.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 5:24:05 PM PDT
MsMerising says:
You preaching to the choir, mi dear, lol. I've constantly bemoaned the excessive mark-up over the years and refuse to indulge it (exempt for leather boots come winter, but they're an investment and if the size is wrong I don't have to spend money on returns etc). Lately I've been buying classic Blu-Rays from JB because once I factor in shipping etc it does end up being less than Amazon, eBay. At the same time, I still have to buy items overseas due to not getting a local release. I'm glad the Australian public is finally catching up and that slowly prices are becoming more competitive and in line with how they should be. Surprisingly enough, the Univeral Monsters and Hitchcock collection are cheaper in the O-Z than on Amazon US but Amazon UK beat them both to a pulp hence why I pre-ordered via them for the two latter :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (153 customer reviews)

$99.99 $39.99