2.0 out of 5 stars Deja vu all over again, November 24, 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Your Shape - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I've been waiting for this program for months. I've become a Wii exercise junkie. Just about everyday I work out with "My Fitness Coach", "Wii Fit Plus", and "More EA active" (I did workout with the originals but I recently upgraded). So when I found out that there was going to be a fitness program that utilized a camera to measure your proficiency, well I was thinking Flying cars just might not be that far behind. I knew it was going to be good - I mean after all, everyone learned a lesson from "Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2009" . . . Right . . .

Well, I got the program on release date and worked with it for about 2 hours (Set up and working out). The set up is easy. I was afraid the camera was going to utilize the motion sensor plug spot on my Wii. But no, the camera connects to the USB slot, so there's no need to be switching cables every-time I work with Your Shape. The profile set up is easy enough and of course you have to take a fitness test that gets graded. For some reason the program said I was doing my jumping jacks incorrectly, so my final fitness test grade was a B.

After the test you go into creating your workout schedule. Be careful here because I thought I was just checking out what they call "Extra Challenges", but instead ended up starting (and doing) a 30 minute yoga workout.

Now the trouble really starts.
Apparently the Your Shape people thought the annoying feedback chatter in EA Active is charming because I was getting a continuous string of peppy encouragement. At one time, during the corpse poss in yoga, there was nonsensical chatter like "You can do it", or "feel them muscles stretch"or "do you feel the burn". I searched the menus for ways to turn off chatter but the best I could do is lower the voice. The yoga section was still pretty good, although in 30 minutes we only used about 8 moves. And BTW, they continued the same mistake in "My Fitness coach" where the trainer has you going through a seriers of yoga moves, about 4 times in a row, but unfortunately she only verbalizes the moves the first time. And then there were the workouts. If you have "My Fitness coach", then you already have this game. The only difference is "Your Shape" uses the camera. I spent a good deal of time requesting that my workouts center on my core and when my first "Your Shape" work out started it was just about the same workout I did this morning with My Fitness Coach (as a side not "My Fitness coach" used to be called "Your Self Fitness"). And BTW, there were no real core exercises in my so called focused workout.

Today, I worked out with the program for about 90 minutes. And as I suspected, they took away the workout options that you have with "My Fitness Coach". In "MFC" you can pick the workout but here it is scheduled. As I stated earlier you can change the focus of the workout-but selecting an AB focus didn't seem to have any effect. Another thing they took away was the ability to pick the type of music you want to hear. The music is okay for Your Shape but I thought MFC did a superior job with the music selection plus you can pick the style you like. Still, I had no real problem with the music with Your Shape.

As far as the camera. The so called center piece of this game, well I was disppointed. As I stated earlier the game did no recognize my arm movements in the Fitness test. It turns out that was a fairly common occurance with some of the other exercises. Additionally there is a slight time lag between when you do the movements and when they appear on screen. And please wear light colored clothing, otherwise you won't really register on the TV screen. I really did not expect stellar video quality on a 70 dollar game. But it is serviceable as far as the game but the movement recognition has me concerned.

If you have "My Fitness Coach" or "Your self Fitness", don't bother getting "Your Shape". If you don't have one of those programs, wait until "Your Shape" comes down in price. Your Shape by itself is okay but considering it is really a watered down version of its two prior versions, it is hard to recommend the game.

Two stars because it will work you out, and the camera is a neat idea, but the other versions out there are better.

I had to edit my first review - I wrote this very late and was too tired to check out the far too many mistakes.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2009 9:50:48 PM PST
L. Zabrodski says:
Thanks for saving me money! I do have My Fitness Coach so passing on this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2009 5:02:25 AM PST
D. A. Lewis says:
You're quite welcome, I traded my game in at Gamestop for 18 bucks. That should tell you something right there. The game only held 30 percent of its value the next day and the game came with a camera.

Posted on Nov 26, 2009 10:13:18 AM PST
jmakarose says:
Thanks for a great review. I have been using My Fitness Coach for sometime and was looking for something new. I thought this would be great. Thanks for letting us know it is the same thing. Too bad, the camera idea was intriguing, but I can live without it!

Posted on Nov 28, 2009 7:20:25 AM PST
TL says:
Yep, thanks for saving me $70 on buying this. I was so excited but now, I'll just stick with the Wii active.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2009 1:42:43 PM PST
Barbara says:
Thanks for saving me money. I have the Fitness coach and will stick w/ that.

Posted on Nov 28, 2009 11:57:34 PM PST
Awesome review! I already have the My Fitness Coach game and I was going to get this one for something new. Keep posting your reviews! Very helpful.

Posted on Nov 29, 2009 7:10:25 PM PST
Thanks for your review. I wanted to get this game. I decided after the Jillian Michaels fiasco I wanted to wait to hear reveiws. I love EA Active more workouts and Gold Gym Cardio workout. I am also thinking of upgrading to Fit Plus.

Posted on Dec 2, 2009 8:00:35 PM PST
T. Price says:
I was just looking at this game and decided to check out reviews before putting it on my Christmas list. GREAT REVIEW saved me money since I have MFC. Guess I should just start back doing that.

Posted on Dec 3, 2009 5:46:56 AM PST
Irish fan says:
Thanks for an excellent review. Since I already have My Fitness Coach, I'll also be passing on this.

Posted on Dec 5, 2009 8:53:50 PM PST
kevlar_pso says:
I was thinking of getting both Wii Fit Plus and either Your Shape or My Fitness Coach for my wife for Christmas. We have Yourself Fitness for the regular Xbox. Is My Fitness Coach the same game as Yourself Fitness? Also, thanks for the Your Shape review. I think we'll wait on that until it drops in price, likely this summer for my wife's birthday.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (307 customer reviews)

$29.99 $10.79