5.0 out of 5 stars Best Work since The Rising, March 21, 2012
This review is from: Wrecking Ball (Special Edition) (Audio CD)
First of all, some context. I have been a huge fan and admirer of Springsteen's work since the day my best friend and I dropped the needle (yes on an LP) of Springsteen's new release (yes I am this old)--Darkness on the Edge of Town. It was instant shock and awe--Badlands, Adam Raised a Cain, the awesome title track--nothing to do but flip it over and listen to it again immediately. Then, on The River tour I experienced the magic of my first Springsteen show. The ticket (I still have the stub) states I paid $10.50 to sit in the nosebleed section. Still, hundreds of concerts later, I can honestly say those four hours were some of the most transcendent moments of rock and roll I have ever witnessed.
So no, I am not the most objective reviewer, but I don't blindly love everything he does either. I didn't think Tunnel of Love, Human Touch or his previous two albums were more than OK.
That said, I assert this is his best album since The Rising. Since I was unimpressed with about half of Magic and most of Working on a Dream, that alone is not enough priase. I would say it is up to the caliber of his best three albums (in my opinion)--BTR, Darkness and The River.
What really impresses me here is the diversity of material, lyrically and musically. This is the same Springsteen who wrote "Seeds" and the "Ghost of Tom Joad" album, looking at the world around him and expressing his concern and outrage for the disenfranchised, those beaten down by a system that doesn't work as well as we preach it does.
"We Take Care of Our Own" drips with the same sad irony of "Born in the USA." Songs like "My Depression" and "Jack of all Trades" are mini-tragedies from one of our finest songwriters, the rock music equivalent of John Steinbeck.
Do not miss this important album--hey, it also rocks often and the music is a lot of fun!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 7, 2012 2:36:14 PM PDT
Anomie says:
I just wanted to chime in and post my agreement with you. I feel I hear all of Bruce in this album. It seems to me to be the natural product of the voices and styles he has explored throughout his career. I have never seen the point to be comparative about his various albums. Instead, it has always seemed to me that he has visions and sounds in his head that he wants to bring forth both to explore and to honor. I am, always, grateful that he has made the journey to bring them forth. I can't imagine not appreciating the fruits of that journey. I am glad to have been along for the ride. It sounds like you are, as well.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 4:41:10 PM PDT