4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly excellent. Some flaws. Price is nice., December 8, 2010
This review is from: H&R Block At Home 2010 Deluxe Federal + State + eFile [Download] [OLD VERSION] (Software Download)
Downloading Notes:

Downloading via Amazon is pretty smooth and painless. You can easily download it again later, even to a different computer if need be. Your authorization is stored in your account at amazon. You need to first install Amazon's special Downloader software. That's also fairly painless.

Product Review:

I've used H&R Block's tax software every year since 2004. Always some annoyances, but most of it is excellent.

Price Dips: Below 25 buckss. Sometimes below 20. It went to 22.49 on Jan 12, 2011, for example. Amazon has always had the best price. There's an "Online Price Alert" that will email you whenever this or any amazon product dips below your target price. Google it. It's nicely done.

Unlimited number of tax returns: (family members, what-if copies of your return, etc.) I think TurboTax also lets you do this now, but in the past TurboTax pulled some real nasty tricks with licensing/copy protection, and they continue to charge 18-45% more than H&R Block.

It includes unlimited paper filings for one state ($ 19.95 extra per state e-file). So, I just file state returns on paper.

"Free" tax softwares like TaxAct might be the thing if your return is very simple, but their better versions are almost as expensive as H&R Block at low tide, and not as good.

The 2010 version is just like 2009. (I did a side-by-side run-through.)

Typical minor annoyances: (all carry-overs from 2009)

- Upgrade pitches: They weave it into the interview and make it sound as if "an upgrade to Premium is advised for your situation" even when it makes little or no sense for your situation. Sleazy.

- Unclear wording in a few places, although most wording is very clear and accurate.

- Privacy Policy: Hard to view. Hard to read. Has reassuring tone, but doesn't hold much water.

- Copy...Paste from Interview screens: That would be handy at times. No can do. Can't print them either. Only way I found is ALT + PrintScreen, then paste the graphic into Word or a paint program.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 12, 2011 11:42:23 AM PST
eknock says:
Just got my copy for $22.49. Thanks to the first poster for the heads up on the online price alert gadget. It really does work. In previous years I would buy this software at a retail chain for $45 to $60. Not anymore. Have been doing my taxes with Taxcut/H&R Block at Home for over 7 years with no problems. Great product.

Posted on Jan 12, 2011 7:17:15 PM PST
J. Royal says:
Ditto that first comment. Thanks a lot, C. MacPhail. Saved me some bucks.

Posted on Jan 16, 2011 7:02:24 AM PST
Bob Buddy says:
Outstanding review. I just set up my price alert, which I didn't know existed. CM, you rock.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2011 7:42:08 AM PST
I have been getting my copy in the mail since the 2005 edition (bought them on or offline before that). When I saw the chance to get the downloadable copy for $27 including state, I leaped at it since I knew the CD (even the mailed one from Block) would be $45. Glad I got it when I did around Christmas (my state wasn't available to install until last week, but that was no biggie). Go figure though, after I installed the fed program on the downloadable version, my CD from Block came in the mail. Oh well, I can always give the disc away (and tell the person who wants it, that they have to pay for it on installation.

Posted on Feb 2, 2011 6:40:15 AM PST
Thank you, C MacPhail, for posting about the online price alert! I had never heard of this before either. I was able to purchase the software even cheaper this year than I did last!! Kudos to you, sir! :oD

Posted on Feb 17, 2011 9:24:28 AM PST
C. MacPhail says:
Wow, I just got another one of H&R Blocks *Special Email Offers*! There's a link in the email that entitles you to download H&R Block at Home Deluxe for $ 35.96. But wait...This is a special version that does NOT include one state download.

For 65% more than the amazon price, I can get a version of Deluxe that's exactly the same, except it does not include state.

I think this is just for special people like me because the email begins "Thank you for using H&R Block At Home™ Deluxe last year."

Hurry, offer expires: 03/10/11 !!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›