Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

3.0 out of 5 stars It's getting old...But it has to be said, November 22, 2012
This review is from: Nikon D600 24.3 MP CMOS FX-Format Digital SLR Camera (OLD MODEL) (Electronics)
I probably won't add informative value to the discussion that's been going so it's just my 2 cents. I am so happy with the image quality, build quality, features and basically everything about this little dusty gem. The positives are countless and other reviewers provided excellent insight on the capabilities of this camera and that's why I didn't give it a 1-star review, because IT'S indeed a great camera. Scores speak for themselves. I used a D300, D700, D7000 before and the D600 really outperforms all of them in every aspect, except that the AF in the D700 is superior especially in low light. I used to shoot a lot of HDR but now I hardly do HDR due to the incredible dynamic range of the D600. ISO performance (not highest ISO setting) is one the best among all FX cameras if not the best based on scores and what I have seen. In a nutshell, for the price (or even for a much higher price) the D600 sets new standards for full frame cameras at this price level.

Now of course you saw that coming, the dust/oil issue. Folks who are apologetic/fanboys/offensive, seriously quit it. The issue is real whether you like it or not, and no it's not a fact of life with all DSLRs and those experiencing it SHOULD be upset, and they are many and I dare say more than those who are happy. If everyone is apologetic like you then the D800 AF issues and the D7000 issues would have never been addressed, if they were addressed to begin with. Not just users are complaining, even lensrentals, DPreview and many other credible photography communities have confirmed it. You only have to watch the now famous/infamous timelapse video to realize that the issue is internal, it's a design flaw with regards to the shutter mechanism. Wet cleaning your sensor every 500 shots is not normal. Wet cleaning a new camera is not normal. Bragging that you only shoot wide open and never noticed the issue is off-topic since it doesn't mean everyone shoots wide open. I mainly shoot landscape and typically use slow apertures for maximum depth of field (f/8-f/16) and a single spot would ruin the image for me. It's true that it's easily fixed in PS but that's only if it's one or a few spots, not hundreds, and certainly not in every image!

IMO, the main idea behind writing a review is to help potential customers decide whether to buy the product or not based on a general consensus provided by previous owners. Most of us who see a 2-star product with 100 reviews will shy away form that product without even bothering to read the reviews. That's why I think it's not fair to give the D600 a 1-star rating because of the dust/oil issue since it's a great camera in all regards. My 3-star rating is just a warning for potential buyers that if you are going to buy the camera expect dust, lots of dust even after sensor cleaning. Now I heard the issue goes away after 10000 clicks or so and I will update my review accordingly.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 22, 2012 4:32:15 AM PST
Doctor C says:
I was one of the 1 star raters. I am using the camera now after a few cleanings (that I did, no thanks to Nikon) and I love the camera, but the 1 star is to counter the 5 star ratings that the fanboys gave without even using the camera.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 5:30:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2012 5:31:32 AM PST
R. Zysk says:
Are you still getting more dust/oil spots after several cleanings? I returned two D600s to Amazon and my third one also has the dust/oil spot issue. I will probably buy a sensor cleaning kit since I don't trust returning it to Nikon and having a new camera returned with scratches and other potential cosmetic defects. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 6:19:57 AM PST
Doctor C says:
Mine looks ok now...at least nothing obvious the way it was when I first got it. I have 1000 actuation now so i can do another test.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 7:07:13 AM PST
You nailed it...and I really believe there is no excuse to give this product a 3 and above stars rating. I do not buy a Ferrari to have its fuel injection system cleaned every 100 miles, and then I say..."OK, it is a Ferrari !". This is just an absurd Nikon has to address. I was Nikon during all of my photographic amateur life, and I had several models from the 4004, to an F4, to a D70, 7000 and a 700 now. I wanted a new body, and it will not be a Nikon, unfortunately.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 11:14:48 AM PST
mgforshort says:
Very good review. I think Nikon won't change the manufacturing process until people slows down the buying considerably. A boycott is due. I'd love to get one, but I'll wait until they fix the problems, and just use the other cameras we have now, only four so far, with a Nikon D70 being the oldest.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 11:32:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2012 11:33:17 AM PST
hijazist says:
Thank you for your kind comments. It's great to hear the issue has gone with some, I hope mine does. I am sending mine next week. Jose, I totally agree with you. Some of the false analogies some people provide to justify the dust issue is:"Having dust on your sensor is like buying a car and finding out that there is dust on the engine, would you return the car for that?!". No, if an analogy with a car has to be made it would like having cracks on your windshield every now and then even after you get it replaced or fixed.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 3:55:23 PM PST
SanPa says:
I'll guess from supporting comments about the D600 and a lack of used cameras in Warehouse.com that Nikon is getting pallet-loads of returned cameras. The issue will get an official response before Christmas.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 10:06:18 AM PST
I think a lot of it depends on what one plans to use the camera for. For some people, they probably won't ever blow it up to actual size, and might not be bothered as much by the sensor spots -- and for them, the positive features of the camera might outweigh the negatives. My use was primarily for stock, where the image is inspected at 100% -- and excessive sensor spots are then a HUGE deal, because it means a lot of time and tedium with Photoshop. So for me, it's 1-star, because that's a deal-killer (as well as the principle of general quality control on a $2000+ product). I do understand, though, those who give it three stars because of the features that the camera provides.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 12:11:54 PM PST
hijazist says:
@Karen: I completely agree with you, we should write reviews based on our individual experiences. I just tried to balance the benefits vs. the inconvenience according to my experience since the camera was perfect in other regards, for you it was a bad experience overall due to your type of photography. To make matters worse, every time the topic is mentioned in the forums the fanboys jump at you and start calling you names and act as if they are the photography gods, guardians of all things Nikon.

To demonstrate how Nikon have been handling this (or the lack there of), I had an issue with another camera brand that was infamous with a sensor "bulb". Even without a purchase receipt they replaced the sensor for me and they covered shipping cost. Due to such excellent customer service and product support, no one even mentions that issue anymore and everyone has grown more respect for that brand.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 6:27:12 AM PST
M. Lee says:
A good image with spots is not a good image anymore. My old camera, D40 has the same oil issue. I will wait until a newly designed version of D600 comes out----D650?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›