1.0 out of 5 stars Most insulting product design ever., August 26, 2006
This review is from: Epson Stylus CX4200 Inkjet Printer (Office Product)
Below is the message which my boyfriend sent to their customer support. I am certain you can figure out the problem.

I am incredibly offended by your ink policy regarding the Epson Stylus CX4200. In particular, I want to print a black and white text document, but am unable to do so without replacing my color cartridges. Not only that, but when I try to print, your Epson Status Monitor 3 pops up and reminds me that I don't have color ink, and wouldn't I like to buy some? When I visit your FAQ, and try to figure out how to explain to my printer that it doesn't need color ink in order to print my black and white document, the FAQ tells me that yes, I do. And wouldn't I like to buy some ink?

No. I do not want to buy more color ink. I want to print my document. You do _not_ need color ink for this purpose.

I find it overwhelmingly insulting to imagine a meeting where this policy was arrived at. Clearly someone must have suggested letting the printer print black and white documents without color cartridges, and the response must have been "instead, we could really rip our customers off!" Why any company would be willing to anger their customers so much is beyond me. I cannot imagine myself buying Epson products in the future. I am certainly _not_ going to buy color ink cartridges just so I can print my black and white documents. I'm simply going to sit here and reflect at how incredibly stupid and insulting your current policy is.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 3, 2006 4:41:11 PM PDT
D. Carbone says:
Dang.. I was thinking of buying an Epson all in one, but after reading the reviews, it appears that there in the same boat as HP.. Just different types of aggrovation from the CEO's or whoever. They must sit around and think up of these idiotic policies/requirements. I just had a nightmare experience with HP..with 4, all in ones from them, all defective. I wonder if any of these profit monger companies ever read these reviews and what frustrations there customers go through. Then turn around and do something.. like.... move the call centers to India..no problem, I have many Indian friends.. but it's hard to comprehend at times.. not good. Then have everything made in China.. great people.. love the food..but come on...make a product that lasts!! and ink that's reasonable and not needed to replace after printing 10 pages or so..Naaa.. they won't do that. The shareholders will start getting antsy and start selling out... God, (can I say God on here) don't let that happen.. there goes the C/S manager's Bonus !! lolol.. Hello Canon, are you any better???

Posted on Jan 29, 2007 12:13:14 PM PST
Trent Riter says:
I just ran into the same problem with my CX4200 in regard to printing in Black only. What a joke. Epson sure found a great way to screw over their customers.

Posted on Jan 29, 2007 12:14:56 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 29, 2007 12:15:06 PM PST]

Posted on Jun 11, 2007 6:09:20 AM PDT
I just got a great deal on black ink for my Epson CX5400 that was clearence priced at Staples. I even bought an extra cartridge. After installing the black ink and then trying to print out a text document, I found out that the Epson company wasn't going to let me print text (black ink only) documents unless I also buy the cyan and magenta ink cartridges too. What a screw over! So I threw the Epson Stylus CX5400 in the garbage and will NEVER buy from Epson again.

Posted on Nov 7, 2007 10:08:40 AM PST
D. To says:
I agree with this review. I have the same problem also. I bought a brand new black ink and used it only a little bit then my color ink went out and they won't let me print any pages. What a good way to satisfy customer and make them want to buy future Epson printers.

You know whats the worst part, even after i used all my black ink, if you take out the cartridge, you can still hear a lot of black ink inside if you shake it close to your ear. I think it is still capable of printing a lot more pages but the computer will tell you its out of ink. Maybe i should crack it open to see if there is any black ink.

Posted on Mar 26, 2008 6:45:49 AM PDT
rufous says:
I had this problem w/ my Epson Stylus 740....was incredulous that I cldn't print a black text document unless the color ink cartridge had ink. Was very upset over this ridiculous requirement. Called Epson and was told that the printer uses color ink as well as blk ink to print blk text. This is the type of problem you don't think of asking the salesperson about before choosing a printer cuz it doesn't occur to you to ask if the printer can print black text using only black ink. I'm looking for a new printer and this question is #1 on my list.

Posted on May 5, 2008 9:25:59 PM PDT
izuber says:
Finding out that the Epson company is not going to let me print text (black ink only) documents unless I also buy the cyan, yellow and magenta ink cartridges too.
Screw you Epson capitalist robbers as you are out to sell colored ink and disable me from printing black & white unless I buy color ink, it is the stupid most way of promoting business.
Buyers be aware, find out ahead of your purchase if your printer will print B&W without having color cartridges and dont be fooled by these printer manufacturers.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2008 9:35:15 AM PDT
scarlett7381 says:
I found out from another printer review that there's something available called an 'epson chip resetter' that you can tell the printer it has ink even if it doesn't so you can print. you can buy it here for 7.99. http://kalvins.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD

Posted on Jul 6, 2008 12:05:08 PM PDT
eeka says:
I deleted the print utility from my computer (MacBook running OS 10.5.something), and it no longer bitches about the colored ink or holds up the print job when I go to print black text. You do have to have cartridges in the machine, but they can be empty. My printer is flashing the ink light, but I'm still able to print black items.

FYI, it uses colored ink to print *grayscale* documents (like black-and-white photos), but most black text documents just use black ink. The person on the phone was basically right that a lot of items that appear black do contain color ink. If you delete the print utility, it should be fine printing black text docs, but will refuse to print anything with grayscale. When I want to print something with grayscale in it, I save it as a black-only .pdf file. The grayscale parts look wrong of course, but I'm not using my home printer for anything that has to look gorgeous (which is why I can't be bothered to buy the colored ink most of the time...).

Posted on Sep 17, 2008 7:21:26 PM PDT
I agree completely with this post. It is simply miserable of Epson to make a printer that won't function in one color if another color is out. To be fair, when the black ink runs out, it gives you the option to print black using all the other colors, but there's no reason not to let it print black when say, cyan is out.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.0 out of 5 stars (42 customer reviews)

$229.99