2,305 of 2,348 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars The Clip+ does everything it needs to, and nothing it doesn't., September 18, 2009
This review is from: SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black) (Electronics)
I owned the first generation clip, and the new 8gb clip+ retains everything that was great about the first while adding all around refinements.

Pros:
- Overall build quality has improved, but especially with the clip mechanism.
- Files on MicroSD integrate seemlessly with the on board memory.
- The volume and power buttons have more ergonomic placement on the device.
- Sound quality remains great.
- Audiobook files can be sped up slightly to save some "reading" time.
- The interface is a little smoother and nicer to move through.
- The square trackpad makes it easier to navigate without looking at the player. (good for runners)

Cons:
- No cap on the MicroSD slot, so that could potentially get dirty.

If you don't need gimmicks such as touch screens and web browsers, then this player is quite possibly the best on the market for value, size, and quality. The Clip+ is definitely worth the few extra bucks over what the first gen clip is selling for now.

UPDATE: Having used the product for a while the one thing I'm disappointed with is battery life. The meter drains down to 50% at the expected pace, and then goes from 50% to 0 quite fast. I haven't timed it but i'm sure the battery life (using all default settings) is quite less than the advertised 14-15 hours.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 20 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 132 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 30, 2009 7:44:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2009 7:45:50 PM PDT
With a silicone case cover for the Sansa Clip, the issue of an open card slot is taken care of as the tight fitting cover goes over the slot keeping dust and dirt out. Since I've never inserted a card in my own Sansa Clip, I'm not sure if the cover can remain in place once a card has been inserted, i.e. maybe the card protrudes out the side of the player.

Perhaps someone will comment as to whether the memory card fully inserts in the slot or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2009 11:29:04 AM PDT
S. Rysdyk says:
yeah, microsd will go all the way in.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2009 6:44:49 AM PDT
mikerman says:
As far as I can tell, no case for the Clip+ yet (as of mid-Oct. 2009). Presumably, they will be coming shortly.

Posted on Oct 12, 2009 11:00:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2009 11:04:50 AM PDT
I have a silicone case for mine that I got through Amazon. Just type in "silicone case for Sansa clip +" in the search field and you'll see several choices.

Posted on Dec 9, 2009 9:05:51 AM PST
Rubin Pham says:
my last sansa clip last only 1 year. is this typical for the sansa clip plus?

Posted on Dec 12, 2009 10:28:28 AM PST
T. Draper says:
Does anyone know if there is a limit on the size of the micro SD card?

I see some 16 GB Sandisk micro SD cards online and was wondering if I could put that in for a total of 24 GB. Does anyone know? I've been using the 4 GB regular clip for a happy 18 months and love it, except I want more space.

Thanks for your help!

Posted on Dec 12, 2009 11:12:29 AM PST
T. Draper says:
OK. I think I figured it out. On a review on Youtube, the guy says that they will take up to 32 GB micro SD cards, and he seems to know what he's talking about. Amazing - 40 GB on this tiny player. I think I'll get it.

Posted on Jan 3, 2010 12:49:38 PM PST
BTW if you need to create playlists , the best way is to use Media Monkey.

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 10:17:31 AM PST
Hervian Rose says:
I have to laugh at your fear of dirt. My daughter dropped her sansa+ 4 gb in the sheep pen where it was trampled, the screen cover was cracked, and it was full of you-know-what. Then she accidentally left it in her jeans pocket not once but twice through the hot/heavy cycle (it was hung on the line to dry.
It's hard to read the screen because of the cracks, so she wants a new one but the thing still works. I know they can't TELL you to wash it with your regular wash but I wouldn't worry about a little ordinary dust getting in it.

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 12:38:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2010 11:10:24 PM PST
I've had my Clip Plus for almost a year and I definitely concur with this reviewer's addendum about the battery life. Once the display reaches half power, the remainder of the charge is used extremely quickly, in far less than two hours to be sure (I'm on and off the volume a lot, so for me it's significantly less than even that in actual practice) . I haven't carefully tested my unit, but I'm also quite sure the charge life is far less than the 14-15 hours. Also, I believe my unit's battery was defective when I bought it, with the effect that it never charged fully. I couldn't tell if the little battery graphic was indicating "full power" or not and I was unaware of the numerical value shown in the "info" menu, and it was too late to return the player before I figured it out. I'm pretty sure my unit has only reached 100% charge once, and usually tops out at exactly 80%. It's frustrating that it's necessary to scroll through the menus to see the numerical % value, since there is no "Fully Charged" indication on the home screen when (and if) it reaches 100.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (10,138 customer reviews)
 (5,136)